SOLOasis redubbed YOLOasis Thanksgiving of the Seas Nov24, 2019 - Dec1, 2019

AshleyDillo

8 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

hightailed it down to Studio B to catch the Crazy Quest.

So Quest was on Day 5?

8 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

PS: I have noticed Voom is slowest on the Boardwalk.  Guess the access points are few and far between.

Hope that's not bad news for blogging from our ATS in March...

On 11/24/2019 at 12:16 PM, AshleyDillo said:

If you waited on getting the drink package..

20191124_115552.thumb.jpg.2753abd979cd51b3ebccb12e52210851.jpg

That's $70 for person one and $35 for person two.  Must buy 2.

I have to really wonder if these Cruise Planner deals are really just a ploy.  I just spent $55/person in the cruise planner during the Black Friday event and if this is the deal on the Oasis when I travel next November, I will die.  That it oils have cost on $52.50/person.   WTH...

1 minute ago, VinceC said:

I have to really wonder if these Cruise Planner deals are really just a ploy.  I just spent $55/person in the cruise planner during the Black Friday event and if this is the deal on the Oasis when I travel next November, I will die.  That it oils have cost on $52.50/person.   WTH...

It's really rare that you get on board and find it cheaper. But you do have to catch it at its lowest point. Mine was actually as low as $49 a day on the cruise planner for a while immediately before the cruise. Actually up until the day of I think.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

It's really rare that you get on board and find it cheaper. But you do have to catch it at its lowest point. Mine was actually as low as $49 a day on the cruise planner for a while immediately before the cruise. Actually up until the day of I think.

Thanks for this daily blog....  enjoy the rest of your cruise...

10 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Anywhere there's Newcastle Brown Ale I'll be a happy girl.

That one is actually available on draft in several places.  The variety at Playmakers is exciting when you are Diamond as the usual draft beers are only Heineken, Strongbow, and Newcastle.

Just a hop, skip, and a jump (in an elevator) down a floor...(what??!? My mom has hip and knee issues and I didn't want her to have to go alone) down to Deck 15 for more meat.

20191129_191626.thumb.jpg.ccd73de56a524f6fc777d02ebbfff5d5.jpg

Well, don't mind if I do.

20191129_191528.thumb.jpg.d7217544029afd6edab9fb82365e9a5e.jpg

The menu is a wee more involved at dinner.

20191129_190804.thumb.jpg.c5a7e339bb7071c153864f5552833a93.jpg

20191129_191812.thumb.jpg.6db91e7928fbb75750cb435cf7142679.jpg

It's Genie dinner hour and 3 out of 4 are up here trying it for the first time.  Names protected for anonymity and because I can't remember their names..plus wouldn't want to overexcite @Lovetocruise2002.

For those who care..again the pulled pork is pre-sauced and in the warming table with the sides.  Disappointingly also are the burnt ends (my fave) and I didn't feel like asking if I could get them without sauce..plus it's the Genies' dinner hour...and I'm genpop.

The plates..theres chicken, ribs, brisket, Wings, sausage, french fries, coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, and corn bread, that little desert in a cup is a Brookie.  If you can't tell which item is which in the photos, then I don't know what to tell you.

20191129_191604.thumb.jpg.f3cfb6efd9a7afef45239aaa2b56d6f0.jpg

20191129_191214.thumb.jpg.8d76199dfcfda054da338ac211dedf1a.jpg

No problem with the package here.  I opted for wings instead of dessert..because MEAT.  The wings are brushed with sauce...didn't see it happen and can't tell if this can be omitted or not, so they were sweet and smokey.

20191129_190756.jpg

Final verdict is that this is BBQ that's good enough to be on a cruise ship. My personal opinion is that if they are going to put this on Allure of the Seas during the amplification and then send it to Galveston, they may want to reconsider it so they don't embarrass themselves.  You don't mess with Texans and their BBQ.

The price point is good for the amount of food you get and it's nice to have another alternative when you have the dining package.

My mother says that it is far better than Celebrity EDGE's pay BBQ restaurant..for whatever that's worth.  But she doesn't like onions, so I'm not sure we should trust her opinions.

PS: She says the cornbread is spicy and has jalapenos..surprise!

51 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

It's Genie dinner hour and 3 out of 4 are up here trying it for the first time.  Names protected for anonymity and because I can't remember their names..plus wouldn't want to overexcite @Lovetocruise2002.

Haha...I know who at least one was. Just saw it in an Instagram story. ?

FYI..the Bionic Bar robots have named.  On Oasis they are Razzle and Dazzle.

We spent some time chatting with the crew at Portside BBQ.  They are a super nice bunch and a delight to talk to.  They were super excited o talk about the restaurant and cooking process and the recipe chef.  

I decided maybe I didn't need my 9:15pm Chops reservation. ??? The app makes it waaaay too easy.

Just kidding.

20191129_210523.thumb.jpg.5ec64a3be744831507057a684ef42c1e.jpg

I told the host that I had a 9:15 dinner reservation but didn't realize that I was going to a show at 10:00. I said I didn't think I was going to be able to make it if sat down, so I asked if I could just get the food to go.

I guess the host misunderstood me because he made a big deal of leading me to a table and trying to seat me. He told me that he'd be able to get me quickly through the meal but obviously having had BBQ I wasn't really feeling a huge sit-down dinner. I reiterated that I'd rather just get a plate to go.  He still tried to sell me on sitting.

It's formal night; I am wearing shorts.  Chops has a formal dress code per the app.  I told him I just wasn't comfortable sitting in the dining room dressed inappropriately.

He told me that it didn't matter, which is true because an entire table of high schoolers were there wearing booty shorts and red sweatshirts.  But still...then he told me he could make a table outside. ??

Finally he got the idea and got a waiter to take my order.  My food was brought to me 5 minutes later, no lie.  They tried to push a dessert to go as well, but I wasn't having it.  They didn't even have me sign a slip and held the door for me as I left.

1am Ashley thanks 9pm Ashley in advance.

First spotting of Christmas decorations

20191129_211530.thumb.jpg.2f3774ebe094e26906de2f142f855337.jpg

PS: Shoutout to WOW bands for making opening doors so easy while carrying a plate and a steak knife.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I brought some plastic straws with me on this trip.  Didn’t use a single one on Brilliance and bet I won’t use one on Oasis either.  It’s a nuisance to carry them around and no way to keep them clean until I use them.  Great idea but not so easy to implement.

??

Starbucks still has straws.  Get the Genie to hook you up!

Royal nailed everything here.  The sets and costumes were great.  All of the actors and actresses did a good job.  Singing and dancing was excellent.  It appears to be updated and modern. 

20191129_213136.thumb.jpg.a8ec85aab04338a31627c15244afd6be.jpg

As for condensing from the original, I know musicals are supposed to be about music and have songs but this entire show was song after song. There really was no in between the songs points which could have helped someone unfamiliar with the musical figure out what is going on.  (Spoiler alert: a cat dies.)

I had to Google it to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Screenshot_20191130-002222_Google.thumb.jpg.2155e96c3b9046f8be68273ae5dee8a3.jpg

I followed The Gift on Anthem better than this.  I'd like to think that's on Andrew Lloyd Webber and not Royal though.

2am Ashley made the executive decision not to pre-order room service coffee delivery for this morning.  830am Ashley is so upset with her right now.

The ship is definitely feeling the ocean waves this morning and rolling back and forth.  That pretty much started last night during CATS.  I just thought perhaps it was part of the show which makes about as much sense as the plot did.

Hoping for a real nice roll to throw me out of bed -- a devine intervention from the coffee gods that I will take as a sign to motivate and be productive for our last relaxing day of the cruise.

... that laundry is not going to fold itself. Well, that's a lie. I gave my mother some of my dirty laundry does shove in her complimentary D+ laundry service bag.  

26 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is really bad news when you put it in that perspective! 

I actually followed and understood The Gift and didn't understand why everyone else didn't get it.  Not that it made sense but I saw where they were going with it..and I am sure there are folks who followed along with CATS just fine.  I mean it's a Broadway hit for a reason, right?  Not everyone needed to turn to the Internet for the Cliffs Notes.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/18/20696129/cats-2019-musical-trailer-explained

This is probably the most informative piece I uncovered in the depths of the internet that summarizies the play and talks about the upcoming movie. Perhaps the last sentence of this capture from the above article should be a PSA?

Screenshot_20191130-084948_Chrome.thumb.jpg.313dfb1c9716f2b3fac1ae2d16a7bcc8.jpg

Makes a little more sense now having read this..but perhaps Royal should have gone with a musical that's a little more straight from the package, press play and everyone enjoys as is Hairspray, Grease, and Mamma Mia.  I think maybe the lack of dialogue does it for me.  I have a bit of trouble understanding lyrics when I can't read them.  I want so much to like it because the sets, costuming, and performers were really amazing but it was a struggle to follow along and stay awake because of that for me.

Do not sit on an aisle seat.  You have been forewarned.