SOLOasis redubbed YOLOasis Thanksgiving of the Seas Nov24, 2019 - Dec1, 2019

AshleyDillo

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I've got a couple days to think about getting the UDP.  Curious to know your opinion. 

I had it for my last Oasis cruise pre-amp and didn't think I'd do it again because it's too much food.  Now with PM and BBQ I'm thinking about it again.

Any word on JR?  Is it covered by UDP? 

I believe JR is.  I haven't tried it yet. 

I would actually do it again on an Oasis class if I was solo in a heartbeat and got.it for the $175 price or less.  You can make multiple ressies on the app once you're onboard.  I was sitting in CP150 at 845 and they have a ressie for 915 for Giovannis tonight.  Totally could walk in there for that and do a 2nd meal for dessert as all I ate was salad and some of my veal tenderloins.

They seem to be amenable to asking for items to go when you are solo.  The being able to pop in for one or two items at any place on board is one of the reasons I loved Star Class.  I'm really not into this full 3 course meal dining thing.  I would rather eat a small plate at 5pm and eat another something small at 9pm.  Just knowing I can appeases me.  I feel like I'm gorging less because I know this isn't my only specialty meal and I have to max out a $39.99 cover or $35 ala carte allocation. I feel better knowing I can go back later in the cruise and try something else I wanted.  It feels more relaxed than Star Class did with scheduled full meals all the time.

I still tip even though the package includes gratuitity, so I also have to take that into consideration when deciding if it is a good value.  Also I would be way more inclined to splurge if I had gotten a bargain cruise fare deal.

I say go for it.  I know what the prices were running for your Oasis sailing, so I know you got in for a good price to begin with.  If you are flexible and not picky about when you eat, you will have absolutely no problem as a solo cruiser getting into pretty much anywhere that you want.  Just because the food is there doesn't mean you have to eat it all.  Especially knowing you cruise frequently and will see these venues again.  The once in a while cruisers I can completely understand wanting to try ALL THE THINGS!

They really emphasized the multiple restaurants in multiple a night thing when selling it online, so I didn't feel bad when the waiters were perplexed I ordered so little and refused desserts. 

20191125_200545.thumb.jpg.113e8cffc3ce39915dd2b083665a135f.jpg

CP150 bread.  I didn't eat it, but I smelled it throughout the entire meal.  Only food shot I got, though.  Sorry for being a bad blogger.

CP150 was my least favorite of the specialty dining restaurants when we did Star Class on Symphony. My brother was trying to chalk that up to the fact that it was a service that made the experience so poor on Symphony, but I didn't feel that the food was anything special tonight either. I am also not a real foodie and prefer more of a protein and side type of meal than something artistically constructed with 11 ingredients.  I always order sauce on the side..that kind of thing.  Fancy dining is not my forte.

So once again I wasn't really impressed with CP150 but my mom loves it, so we ate there. Of course we had 9pm show reservations for the ice show..but once again CP150 did not let me down in taking entirely too long making pretty food so we missed the show.

Never saw people show up so early to shows in here when this was Dazzles...could this be the next thing to require reservations on Oasis?

20191125_222756.thumb.jpg.8208689b1b268b6eac7ffbbad966ad12.jpg

Band playing is Phoenix from Las Vegas.  They play covers of rock favorites and were the band invited to play the President's Cruise a few weeks ago.

I used to go to concerts at small venues all the time in my 20s..Music Hall definitely has that vibe at night.  It's dark like a cave in the back and all the lights are focused on the band and the dance floor.  Upstairs is more of a lounge area.  There's a dedicated bar. There's a balcony to watch the band and a pool table (free use) and couches.  TVs livestream the action downstairs.  I feel like I am at home here.  Folks are singing along and dancing to some Journey, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, etc. covers.  It's a real good time and folks are having a blast.  The sound is decent for the music they're playing so they definitely have a good sound system setup to handle this kind of music. May want to bring earplugs!

For those with rooms on Deck 8..I walked aft from the elevator lobby and it was about 8 rooms down the hallway before I completely was unable to hear the music anymore. I have no idea what the rooms can actually hear inside them that back up to the Music Hall. So for anyone with concerns about noise issues I would take a guess that you may want to avoid 8673, 8675, 8677, 8679 on the starboard side and thus whatever corresponds on the port side (read a deck map, Im too lazy to walk that ?).  It ends at midnight though.

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

Did 150CP still have the salts or are those gone like Symphony?  My last on Oasis was still the Michael Schwartz experience.  

UDP is $199 at the moment or $29 per day.  I don't like WJ on Oasis class so if it was any other ship I'd just go WJ for meals but Oasis WJ is my least favorite so I'm on the fence.

Why do you not like the WJ on Oasis class?  

Just now, DublinFC said:

Why do you not like the WJ on Oasis class?  

Awkward layout and too limited seating for the number of passengers on board.  

The fewer food stations always have longer lines.  Then begins the hunt for a table.   Keep in mind I'm often solo so I'm not looking for space for 2 or 4 people.  

It's not the end of the world, I survive it quite well, it's just the best WJ in the fleet.  

50 minutes ago, twangster said:

Did 150CP still have the salts or are those gone like Symphony?  My last on Oasis was still the Michael Schwartz experience. 

Nope..salts are gone..tuna app is gone, doughnuts with lemon curd.are gone.  My mom asked and our server said everyone asks about those same items. It's the best caesar salad you can get onboard and you can even get anchovies..mmm.  

Funny how that extra $24 makes all the difference..seems like way more than what I paid..but overall not really that much in the grand scheme of things. 

If you don't get it there's still El Loco Fresh, Solarium Bistro, Park Cafe, MDR to hit up for lunch.  Then shill out to try Portside once at lunch and once at dinner, use your BOGO D+ dinner and come out ahead money-wise.

I am on a cruiseship and it has been three and a half hours since I last ate.  That means it's time for bedtime sushi!

20191126_004256.thumb.jpg.2815ffaf81ebb75088e0c7377d2ab2f5.jpg

This seems like a much, much better option than the Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos that everyone is else stuck with.

This was a brilliant idea and 1am Ashley very much thanks 6pm Ashley for looking out for her.

So 7am Ashley wonders WTF 1am Ashley was thinking eating sushi right before bed.

Woke up on my own before the room service scheduled for 8am.  It's 7:49am so they aren't early like yesterday

But good morning Labadee!

20191126_064605.thumb.jpg.faf36a90f08c033041708b8a2dff168d.jpg

20191126_064613.thumb.jpg.729568342603b916553a68ea5112a9f2.jpg

On the agenda today is to get off the ship at some point.  Ride the Dragon's Tail Coster with my All Day Access.  Most likely decide all day access means "once" and feel justified in knowing I caught the All Day Access for $25 at one point and later saw they were selling single rides for $34.99.

Then probably a bit of meandering to check Labadee out as I have never been.  I won't lay out in the or go play in the water as those words aren't in my vocabulary outside of social situations. 

Then I will find some shade and sit and contemplate eating for free on Labadee followed by contemplating going back and eating for free on the ship.  Both will require some walking and effort so this will be a dilemma that I will work through in my mind until I get bored.  I will walk somewhere (likely in the wrong direction) and get hot and gross and annoyed with that, curse the sun and go seek air conditioning.

This morning I went adventuring to take some specific recon photos for someone.  Nothing exciting and blog worthy..just some hallway photos. 

As I was leaving my room I realized I only had my phone and forgotten (in the name of research, of course) my room key.  I did have my Digital Key enabled phone with me and again it just blinked green and didn't want to actually unlock the door.

So I did my photo recon which led to being asked to take more photos..I swear one good deed...I don't mind really and it gives me something to do when I am avoid the sun and interacting with people.

Of course since I don't sleep in my WOWband and didn't have my room key or working digital key I had to People of Walmart it down to Guest Services in my PJs.  

To the elevator bank I went and hopped on an elevator without paying attention. I needed to go down and got on an elevator going up.  There was a couple on the elevator and a blind guy with a walking stick.  He kept asking if 16 was pressed and the couple was acting like they didn't notice.  Maybe if you're super quiet around a blind guy they won't realize you are there and you don't have to interact with them? ?‍♀️

So I told him 16 was pressed and he was thankful and then he got off and was asking which way to the Windjammer.  We were on the forward set of elevators ?

I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be completely blind and trying to navigate one of these ships, or any ship for that matter. But this guy was out and walking around by himself and really wanted take to get him some Windjammer.  

I got off the elevator and decided that the least I could do was help guide him all the way to the act of this ship to Windjammer. I asked him if he minded me walking with him to the Windjammer and he took my arm and we trekked all the way across the pool deck. He told me he had paid extra to have a wheelchair and assistance but that someone complained about it? I didn't really quite understand the story and didn't really ask for clarification. 

He said he took a 16 day cruise and he's going to Africa in April.  Pretty amazing travels he has done.

We got to the Windjammer where I asked the greeter if he minded helping my new friend.  The greeter was amazing and he took his arm and started asking him what he was wanting to eat and helped him to the handwashing station.  I didn't think to catch his name tag but as soon as my room service is delivered I am popping back over to Windjammer to get his name so I can fill out a WOW comment card for him.

Guest Services was dead this morning so with no one there in line they were able to quickly reprint my SeaPass.  She said the other one would no longer work and that I would have to get my WOWband reprogrammed too.  Not sure why she couldn't just have given me an extra room only key since I told her I locked myself out and didn't lose the key, but okay.

I told her the Digital Key wasn't working and it wouldn't be an issue otherwise.  She asked me what was wrong with the app and I pulled up the Digital Key icon and it told me I needed to turn on bluetooth ?

Well, alrighty then.  I never recalled turning it off but didn't think to check that.  So it's once again working and I sheepishly slunk away from Guest Services.

1 minute ago, Dan Curtis said:

That's way to healthy looking food for a cruise, ha.

The food order is just a show to justify the pot of goodness.  I would show you my Windjammer plate but I tripped over a table and it accidentally all fell in my mouth before I could take a photo.

10 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Never saw people show up so early to shows in here when this was Dazzles...could this be the next thing to require reservations on Oasis?

20191125_222756.thumb.jpg.8208689b1b268b6eac7ffbbad966ad12.jpg

Band playing is Phoenix from Las Vegas.  They play covers of rock favorites and were the band invited to play the President's Cruise a few weeks ago.

Supposedly Phoenix will play next week as well. They must be signed to a length contract as opposed to the normal hit-and-run schedule. 

50 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I got off the elevator and decided that the least I could do was help guide him all the way to the act of this ship to Windjammer. I asked him if he minded me walking with him to the Windjammer and he took my arm and we trekked all the way across the pool deck. He told me he had paid extra to have a wheelchair and assistance but that someone complained about it? I didn't really quite understand the story and didn't really ask for clarification. 

He said he took a 16 day cruise and he's going to Africa in April.  Pretty amazing travels he has done.

We got to the Windjammer where I asked the greeter if he minded helping my new friend.  The greeter was amazing and he took his arm and started asking him what he was wanting to eat and helped him to the handwashing station.  I didn't think to catch his name tag but as soon as my room service is delivered I am popping back over to Windjammer to get his name so I can fill out a WOW comment card for him.

Now you’ve made me cry. I’m not reading any more of your blogs ❤️❤️

55 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

This totally warms my heart!  Thank you and enjoy your cruise.

Went down to guest services to reprogram my WOW band and to ask for a comment card of some sort. The Guest Services desk told me that they no longer do them and that you are supposed to put the comments in the survey that you get at the end of the cruise.

Well 9 times out of 10 I never receive the end of the crew survey so I want to make sure that TAPAN from India gets the recognition he deserves.  I shot off an email to socialmedia@rccl.com and I will definitely comment in the survey and look for any way to commend that young man.

Went to breakfast at Chops this morning and while it was better than lunch yesterday, we still had some downright cold food. The potato wedges (not that great even when they’re hot) were stone gold. Almost refrigerator cold. The orange juice was, no doubt, from a concentrate.  We were never offered any sweet rolls even though they were sitting on a table 4 feet from us.  Maybe we were supposed to help ourselves. We did not leave hungry.  “It’ll make a turd”, one of Happy Dan’s favorite euphemisms.  

The service was also surprisingly sluggish which made no sense as we were 2 of 4 happy souls dining at the time.

I know I sound like a bitcher, which I’m actually not.. but I will admit that as I get older, my tolerance for poor service has taken a nose dive.  I will be in the “You kids get off my lawn !” Club very soon. Happy Dan is already a founding member.  

image.thumb.jpeg.47fa8999f2a16b5928e1c5cb5de59e04.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c6a800f6f061fe0e6e2ddb3815108a65.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.83bd6419b4303530f506c93fa9bd2d4d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e63662b0209cd04a2ff66648ae225add.jpeg

I overheard the only other customers in the place, discussing with our waiter, the fact that the breakfast serving staff in Chops are not dedicated Chops servers, but rather staff from Izumi, Giovannis and Chops that rotate to cover this special breakfast.  I guess that makes sense. It also may explain the spotty service but it still sucks  

So I Labadee'd today.  Scrubbed all the fun off of me and am now fueling up to bring this blog up to date.

This post is brought to you by Johnny Rockets.  I was in no way compensated for this post.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

20191126_152405.thumb.jpg.8c2ddb95ade6a4a43af05bd3f585661b.jpg

JR has always been reliable in that it's a good place to go during that inbetween meals time when all other options are closed from lunch and preparing for dinner.

Personally, Johnny Rockets is my preferred place for a burger over the Playmakers burger.   I felt this same way on Symphony when I ate burgers at both places.

JR is also a better value..for the same price as the Playmakers burger you get the burger, fries, onion rings, fountain soda, and dessert!  It may not make sense with a larger party as you're sharing all the fries and onion rings, but definitely does when you're solo.

20191126_152844.thumb.jpg.b9bf20943efc90361a4ab1c2b1434201.jpg

How am I gonna fit all this in my mouth?!?!

They were allowing drink package folks to come in and order shakes without paying the per head cover charge.  But as always your mileage may vary.

20191126_150339.jpg

My only excursion I booked was the Dragon's Tail Coaster which was $25 back in April on the cruise planner.  Never saw it that low again and by the time sailing was close the single rides were selling $34.99/person.  I love coasters and thrill rides and this was a cheaper price point than ziplining.  So I decided it was worth it (Spoiler alert: It was).

My excursion ticket was delivered to my stateroom the night before.  It didn't have any instructions with it; just the ticket in the envelope.

20191126_064605.thumb.jpg.cc7b1a3b1ae2d3bdc3a3dccdac5ac182.jpg

We were docked in Labadee by 6:45am (earliest time I saw this morning..could have been in before that even.)  Our port time was 7am to 3pm.  I figured earlier way better and would avoid the 10-2 hottesr part of the day.  We ended up moseying off the ship at 9:45 or so.

Well that answers the question of do Haitians celebrate Thanksgiving?

20191126_110142.thumb.jpg.8f39c124d472ac3fc66f3eab6344091b.jpg

I bet they are thankful for all of our tourism dollars.

Labadee is picturesque..lush and green which is in stark comparison to CocoCay.  Labadee makes CocoCay feel very, very manufactured while Labadee seems natural and rustic.

20191126_105704.thumb.jpg.3957f9e882b6b80e39e149e3bf9ac586.jpg

20191126_114328.thumb.jpg.05441f97e9a55409e9ef2f03d4cfdcee.jpg

There were shaded paths and large trees at the back of the beach where you could lounge in the shade.  The end of November brought us excellent weather.  It was warm and pleasant in the shade with a nice breeze and devoid of the typical humidity.

There's a tram that takes you from the end of the pier to the different beaches.  We rode the tram all the way out to Columbus Cove just to check it out.  I would be too lazy to that, but one with more motivation than I could.

The Dragon's Coaster is located at Adrenaline Beach.  I found the signage that led me to the sign up line where I signed a waiver on a tablet and handed over my ticket for a wristband.

20191126_161257.thumb.jpg.cee69dc30646208259363cd694eba470.jpg

The actual coaster was up a short path.  You are seated in a bobsled style car that operates with handbrakes.  Kids have to be older than 12 to ride solo and they can only be the passenger in a car.  It's pretty simple to operate, push forward on the brake levers to release the brake and accelerate and pull back to engage the brakes.

I had an absolute blast.  I ran through it once to get a feel for it and then ran through subsequent times to take photos.  Rules are you have to have everything tight enough not to fly off (hats ans sunglasses) and you can't take bags with you.  You leave them at the start platform.

The coaster takes you up a long hill that ends right next to where the zipline starts.

20191126_123009.thumb.jpg.c8dd16cafa1a7c0627975a44c49dad16.jpg

And then you're off!

20191126_123145.thumb.jpg.7682d05f68e1d6c9178c8474b45f5c23.jpg

It goes through twists and turns and gives you sneak peeks of a great view of the ship. I imagine that's the view the zipliners get.

20191126_123132.thumb.jpg.108a829c45438c33ff367de0c8150395.jpg

20191126_123213.thumb.jpg.dac7e6915f7c2ad5c11edc98a4cd786d.jpg

20191126_123218.thumb.jpg.07b49c11eac81376e73a87a5ddc2f433.jpg