Does cancelling cruise give you 100% refund?

xps15z

I will be booking a cruise in summer of 2021. I have no intentions on cancelling but there are some family members who said they want to come. Since the cruise is so far ahead if we booked in January of 2020, what is the cancellation period to get 100% refund. So if we paid $4,502 with taxes, that the entire amount is refunded. Is it 3 months from sailing date? We will be booking most likely not direct with Royal as I've never been on a cruise where booking direct gave you the cheapest rates.

This way I can let the interested parties know they can lock in good rates and have until x day to cancel to get ALL of their money back, not even a dollar missing.

This can vary by region so you do have to careful with this answer. 

In the U.S. only a cruise booked as refundable would receive a 100% refund up to final payment due date.

If you do not specifically request a refundable fare the booking would be non-refundable deposit (NRD).  In that case there is a $100 penalty per person to change ship or sail date (or cancel).  Any difference between the deposit and the $100 fee is offered in the form of future cruise credit that is valid for one year.  FCC is awarded for each named person on the booking in that person's name.  Only they can use it in the future.    

For example if the deposit is $250 per person and you cancel a non-refundable booking then $100 is lost to the fee and $150 is awarded in FCC per person.  If the cruise had a $450 deposit the $100 is lost to the fee and $350 is awarded in FCC per person.

For most cruises final payment due date is 90 days out.  For some shorter cruises it's 60 days. 

Full suites are typically only available as non-refundable.  There are some exception but generally speaking full suite are always non-refundable.  

1 minute ago, twangster said:

This can vary by region so you do have to careful with this answer. 

In the U.S. only a cruise booked as refundable would receive a 100% refund up to final payment due date.

If you do not specifically request a refundable fare the booking would be non-refundable deposit.  In that case there is a $100 penalty per person to change ship or sail date (or cancel).  Any difference between the deposit and the $100 fee is offered in the form of future cruise credit that is valid for one year.  FCC is awarded for each named person on the booking in that person's name.  Only they can use it in the future.    

For example if the deposit is $250 per person and you cancel a non-refundable booking then $100 is lost to the fee and $150 is awarded in FCC per person.  If the cruise had a $450 deposit the $100 is lost to the fee and $350 is awarded in FCC per person.

For most cruises final payment due date is 90 days out.  For some shorter cruises it's 60 days. 

Full suites are typically only available as non-refundable.  There are some exception but generally speaking full suite are always non-refundable.  

Thank you. Everyone who would come would pay full cost upfront. That breakdown is perfect. Do the refundable cruise which is typically more money you get 100% refund, do the nonrefundable (which I always do and is cheaper) then you risk losing $100 per person if you cancel.

Great job explaining!

Sometimes NRD bookings come with some OBC or other perks.  Not always though.  Frequently a refundable booking will receive less or no OBC.  

Refundable booking are usually more expensive.  By giving up the flexibility to make any changes and booking NRD you can usually save some money.  This isn't always the case.  I booked one this week where NRD and refundable where the same rate so naturally I booked it as refundable.  On another booking the refundable rate was 50% higher.  You never know until you ask.