Alaska Cruise

Sharla215

I sailed on Celebrity Solstice last year out of Seattle. The prices were very similar for Explorer of the Seas and Solstice, however, Celebrity makes the extra Alaska port of call to Ketchikan. Ovation only goes to Juneau and Skagway. Both pass through glaciers and stop at Victoria, BC. I recommend checking out other cruise lines for comparison when it comes to ports of call if you want to see more of Alaska.

We sailed the Alaskan Itenerary  on Ovation this past May. I can’t say enough good things about the ship. I think one of the things that set s Ovation apart is best suited for a colder climate cruise. It’s indoor offerings are greater than other ships. On the pool deck there is an outside family pool as well as a seperate inside pool. This is seperate from the Solarium indoor adult pool area. The Solarium on Ovation is a tiered effect with beautiful views of the Alaskan coastline as you relax. It is heads above other lines aa well as other Royal ships. Google the ship, you won’t be disappointed. The activities and entertainment are also numerous and top notch. 

Southbound Radiance of the Seas.  We did the land tour prior to the cruise to maximize the Alaskan experience.   A wonderful vacation, ranking first of all of our vacations.  We have been on the Radiance twice (Alaska and Hawaii repositioning). Both times, our focus was the itinerary.   No hesitation taking her again. 

Our Alaskan trip on RCCL was marvalous. Icy Point Straight was not well developed but the whale watching was marvalous. I would highly recommend combining a land tour that includes the Wilderness Express train and Denali. Weather is the only uncertainty. We went in late August which is the Alaskan fall at higher elevations. The air was clear and dry and the foilage color was suprising.

In Skagway, the narrow gage mountain pass train ride is a must and unforgettable.