Loyal Royal Cruiser but need help choosing.

Kathleen

We are Loyal Royal Cruisers. BUT I have been looking at Baltic Cruises for 2021. We like the Royal Iteneraries. The Baltic Itenerary will sail on Jewel. I have also looked at the same Itenerary on Princess Cruise lines. It sails on the new Princess Sky. It is considerably larger than Jewel and my Husband who is more sensitive to motion prefers a larger ship. We are leaningtowards Princess but because we have enjoyed our past cruises with Royal we are hesitant. A Junior Suite on Jewel is actually priced more than a Junior Suite on Princess although that is not the deciding factor. HELP US!!! Please let us know what you think and any experiences and comparisons you have experienced on Princess as compared to your RCI preference.

Are the ports identical? I would think that Jewel will be able to get to some smaller / less accessible ports that Princess' ship won't be able to get to, at least not without a tender.

The other thing to consider is that Jewel is designed with all that glass and those open views of the sea and your surroundings. If the weather is cooler at the time you plan to go, you can easily stay inside and still have great, expansive views of the passing scenery. On the Princess ship that might be a bit harder, and with as many more passengers as it holds you'll have many more people competing for whatever prime viewing areas the ship does have.

Thinking out loud, Jewel isn't exactly a small ship.  Within the Royal fleet it is smaller than some but relative to the industry it is a medium size ship.  

Princess Sky is roughly the size of Navigator of the Seas give or take.  Any ship regardless of size can be subject to motion if the swell is right.   Even Symphony of the Seas (the largest cruise ship in the world) had some motion in the Med at times.  

Having said that the appeal of a new ship versus an older ship cannot be discarded.  These are your vacation dollars at work.  Every cruise is what you make it, even on a different cruise line.  

My husband and I are Royal fans,  but we have been on a small Princess ship. I have no problems with Princess cruise lines, it's just a different vibe. My husband is over 50 and I am knocking on 50's door(2  month's away). We felt like we were the young couple on board. Not a lot of children, and the ones we saw were very well behaved. It was very calm and  not much excitement. We had a good time. A cruise is what you make of it.

We have sailed a number of times on both cruise lines on different size ships. The motion is going to be relative to the weather and we have been on roller coasters where you bump the walls when you walk and dead calm seas on all the size ships. As stated the vacation will be what you make of it. To us the Princess crowd was a little older (we are older but definitely do not act like it) and calmer with, to us, a little more opulence to the ships. The Royal's we love and do not hesitate to travel on. All that said, it is really up to you on the value and locations the ships will stop.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I am still vacillating between the two. I will explore Celebrity iteneraries bor Baltic when those are released next week. As @twangster said above, I think the appeal of the new ship is why this decision is so difficult. Because we have been Loyal Royal and know what to expect, it is hard to shop elsewhere. I will continue to give it further thought giving consideration to your comments and recommendations.