Tipping a Porter

DeanB

I'll be flying in from Australia to Miami next year for a cruise and need to know how to tip a porter. I understand they help take your bags for you and know you should tip them a couple of dollars per bag (I'm thinking of giving my porter $5 for the 2 bags I'll have) but do I tip the porter when he takes my bags or do we follow him and he drops my bags somewhere and then I tip him? We don't really have porters so I have no idea what I really do with the porter! Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

10 hours ago, DeanB said:

I'll be flying in from Australia to Miami next year for a cruise and need to know how to tip a porter. I understand they help take your bags for you and know you should tip them a couple of dollars per bag (I'm thinking of giving my porter $5 for the 2 bags I'll have) but do I tip the porter when he takes my bags or do we follow him and he drops my bags somewhere and then I tip him? We don't really have porters so I have no idea what I really do with the porter! Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

I agree with other comments but wanted to point out a practice at Port Canaveral for future reference.  This involves a shuttle bus from the hotel.  The practice is to get bags out first, then passengers.  Passengers are asked to eye-ball their bags so you know they have been off-loaded.  The porters gather everyone around to make sure they have their boarding passes and passports.  It is at this time that the porters collect tips.   I am not sure if, in Miami, you will be on a shuttle bus or other vehicle, so I thought I'd share my experience....

I always have my tip for them ready and folded in my pocket so it’s super quick to slip to them. The way I have done it is wait until they are either done or on the last bag and normally there is a moment when they pause and ask if there’s any other bags you have or wish you a good cruise and that’s the best time to slip them the tip IMO. I also say “thank you so much!” While holding out the folded bill(s). Since tips are so widely expected for this service, they will normally hover around to give you the opportunity to tip. I wouldn’t stress about it too much! Worst case scenario you can always run after them or call them back if they start to walk off without tip. They won’t be mad you interrupted them to shove money at them lol