Best way to do Kennedy Space Center with an afternoon arrival?

Silligan

Hello! Our Oasis cruise out of NJ stops in Port Canaveral, and arrival time is listed as 1 PM, departure at 9:00 PM.  My husband is an earth science teacher who hasn't been to Kennedy Space Center in 35 years (so he's a science guy, but has done the Space Center once before, albeit a long time ago), and I'm just casually interested in all things space, etc.  What is our best option for seeing the major hits/best of the Space Center with such a late arrival?  The Royal Caribbean excursions don't seem to be THAT much more than the cost of admission to the space center itself, so I'm wondering if they're worth it since we won't have much time.  Anyone have any insight or experience in hitting the highlights of KSC with an afternoon arrival?

Thanks ?

They are typically open until 6-7 depending on when you visit.  Not sure how many of you there are and what the cost is, but consider an Uber/Lyft in addition to looking at the Royal Excursion.  Would allow you to maximize the time you have.  It really is a cool place and seeing the shuttle Atlantis and Saturn V up close is mindblowing (especially for space geeks like myself).  You could also do a one day car rental but there is a small parking fee if I remember right.  Your all aboard won't be until 8-830 so you shouldn't have timing issues no matter when you go.

Based upon our trip there on our own before a cruise and some feedback I have seen here, I would suggest that if there is an RCL excursion that may be your best option.  They cover the transportation, admission and from what I understand they give a bit of a priority to the bus tour around the site.  We spent 2 hours waiting in line for the bus tour which takes a large chunk of your time.  Also the RCL excursion will ensure you get back to the ship on time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all!  The RC excursion dropped to $78 per person with the Black Friday discount, so I went for it.  I wouldn't usually book an excursion for something we could potentially do on our own, but with such a short time window, and the price only being about $20 more per person than doing it on our own (without even figuring in the cost of a Lyft or Uber), I figured it was worth it.