Royal Up

Babs

Just got an email on doing a Royal Up. I have read on this site about Royal Up about how it works. We currently are in an Ocean View. The email I received today is offering me to bid on a Junior Suite or Owners Suite. So I went on the Royal Caribbean web site to see how much the suites normally go for so I could possibly make a reasonable bid. But as I enter the information the website tells me there are no more suites available. 

Any thoughts?

14 minutes ago, Babs said:

Just got an email on doing a Royal Up. I have read on this site about Royal Up about how it works. We currently are in an Ocean View. The email I received today is offering me to bid on a Junior Suite or Owners Suite. So I went on the Royal Caribbean web site to see how much the suites normally go for so I could possibly make a reasonable bid. But as I enter the information the website tells me there are no more suites available. 

Any thoughts?

Anyone who does what you tried to do ties up the cabin in the reservation system for a brief period (15 minutes or so) after they have backed out.  It's also possible that suites will open up as people make last minute cancellations to their cruise.  Royal Up is truly a logistics game for Royal to make more money by shifting people around and get the ship as filled up as possible.

Just a note in your case being in Ocean View currently that a Junior or Owners Suite Royal Up will NOT grant you the double loyalty points that it would if you booked it regularly.

From my experience (and confirmed by RCL), if the room type appears in the booking tool, there is at least one available. If one is offered for booking, there are likely two. If it says there are none available  and you should call, there is one available.  At the same time, with Royalup, there can be a number of reassignments based on bids, or there could be cancellations.

My thoughts on the Royal Up program is that they are hedging their bets....trying to make the most money they can.

If they get someone like me (who books Insides) to upgrade to a higher priced stateroom with a reasonable bid, then my original stateroom becomes available.  Then they can sell it to someone else who might be looking for a last minute deal.

Rooms....in ships, hotels, etc...are perishable.  If they aren't occupied by the sailing date, then the empty room isn't generating revenue.

29 minutes ago, teddy said:

My thoughts on the Royal Up program is that they are hedging their bets....trying to make the most money they can.

If they get someone like me (who books Insides) to upgrade to a higher priced stateroom with a reasonable bid, then my original stateroom becomes available.  Then they can sell it to someone else who might be looking for a last minute deal.

Rooms....in ships, hotels, etc...are perishable.  If they aren't occupied by the sailing date, then the empty room isn't generating revenue.

Yep.  You've got it !

As an example of how complicated the whole thing is, here's what just happened to me:

I'm in a Jr Suite on an upcoming cruise. All suites of all types have been sold out for 6 months.

At 58 days, RoyalUp became available and I bid the minimum for a GS. At 49 days, my bid was accepted. I can guarantee it wasn't my piddly bid money they wanted. They obviously wanted to free up my cabin, perhaps for someone who had bid the max for a Jr Suite. Or to accommodated an oversale or special passenger or something. Regardless, there is movement in inventory *all the time*

Personally, I always bid the minimum. If I don't get the upgrade, no worries -- I'm in a cabin I already like. If I do, I got a steal. I'm averaging 40% success so far!

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:03 AM, Neesa said:

I received my Royal Up bid opportunity 9/26/19 for my 11/24/19 7 night sailing on the Harmony. There were 4 separate offers, I am currently booked in an OS. I researched knowing our specific criteria and decided to place a minimal bid on a 2 Bedroom Aqua Suite. We are 23 days out and have not heard back yet, when I receive any response I will update but no communication as of now. I know this is a near sold out sailing so I am not that enthusiastic that our bid will be accepted but the process was neat, so much better then the way DCL handles begging for even eye contact at the "supervisors desk" . I enjoyed the anticipation and research that went along with the process, I will continue to stand by....

3 days until sailing, still have heard NOTHING.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:02 PM, KristiZ said:

At 58 days, RoyalUp became available 

This seems kind of early for a RoyalUp bid. Is this pretty typical?

My guess is with this program, nothing is typical and it can vary depending on availability and supply and demand.

Has anybody heard of RoyalUp opening up earlier than 58 days?

I have received the royalup  email offer as early as 78 days and as late as 55 days, but I also understand  that the email  could arrive later or not at all. Recently,  I was booked in a JS and was anticipating  a royalup  opportunity. When it seemed delayed, I called to ask if the offers were going to be sent. While they couldn't  tell me if or when it would sent, I was offered the chance  to upgrade to a GS for about the same price I would have bid. A word of caution: once sky class or above, you will never want to go back ?

23 hours ago, FManke said:

This seems kind of early for a RoyalUp bid. Is this pretty typical?

My guess is with this program, nothing is typical and it can vary depending on availability and supply and demand.

Has anybody heard of RoyalUp opening up earlier than 58 days?

I think in this case we got the option at essentially 60 days, right as final payments were due (Asian cruise rules) and people canceled.