Need recommendation for hotel in London England

12thman

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

No, you do not have to pack a wash cloth but if they don't provide you with one, you will have to use one of the hand towels which is a bit cumbersome....but we do what we have to do, right ?

Yes unless the group wants to know how one smells after 9 days of not bathing? Don't think I'll be invited anymore. 

It's never been an issue for me as I tend to bring my own shower poof regardless.  And I do suspect you will have a better chance of finding them in London proper where hotels are more used to dealing with American guests and may stock them automatically.  I just mentioned it because it does catch people unsuspecting sometimes!

I think that in many parts of the world a washcloth is considered unnecessary (you can use your hands) or a personal item so you would carry around your own if you wanted it, in the vein of a handkerchief.  

54 minutes ago, 12thman said:

That's really strange? So I'm supposed to pack washcloths?

A Brit here.

What is this wash cloth you talk about? Is it like a small towel, say 8 x 8 inches? If so ive never seen one in a hotel in the uk, we would call them a flannel in the UK. They used to be common in the 80's/90's but not now, I dont know anyone that uses one.

Im sure a hotel could provide one, ask for a flannel though, they will know exactly what you are talking about.

5 minutes ago, mcoler18 said:

A Brit here.

What is this wash cloth you talk about? Is it like a small towel, say 8 x 8 inches? If so ive never seen one in a hotel in the uk, we would call them a flannel in the UK. They used to be common in the 80's/90's but not now, I dont know anyone that uses one.

Im sure a hotel could provide one, ask for a flannel though, they will know exactly what you are talking about.

Yes, that's what the side discussion has been about. Thank you didn't know it's called a flannel. 

Just did a cruise out of Southampton 3 weeks ago.

Flying into Heathrow is very very easy now, zero wait time. As of last summer US residents can now just scan their passports upon arrival. check out the videos at Heathrow international airport.

Check out the "London. Tool Kit" it will give you ideas about transportation.

Be ready to do a lot of walking and climbing stairs in London.

We stayed at the Grosvenor Victoria Hotel, very nice and well located hotel (4 star). As mentioned by others hotels are much smaller than in the US and not very old people or handicap friendly. Staff at the hotel is excellent and will be happy to help with bags or anything else. The hotel has and entrance in to the Victoria Train Station so you don't even have to go outside. Victoria Coach station (Bus) is a three block walk.

We used International Friends  for a 3 night post cruise tour pkg

Disembarkation in Southampton couldn't be easer,  Walk off, grab your bags and walk out. no customs or border control. don't know if that will change with Brexit.

Go Seahawks

On 11/21/2019 at 10:22 AM, 12thman said:

We do have a courtesy hold on 10320 but also a Sky Loft. I’m not sure the price difference can be justified especially since we a spending several days in London. 

@12thman did you end up booking the GC?  We caved and booked it today.  Hoping to see you there!

And btw, the Sky Loft is not Star.  You need either the Grand Loft, Owner's Loft, or Royal Loft for Star.

10 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@12thman did you end up booking the GC?  We caved and booked it today.  Hoping to see you there!

And btw, the Sky Loft is not Star.  You need either the Grand Loft, Owner's Loft, or Royal Loft for Star.

Yes, we have decided on Sky class Sky Loft. The difference in price between Sky Loft and Grand Loft couldn't be justified as we will be there several days before the cruise. Been doing a lot of research on hotels, transportation, tours, etc. 

Have you been to London? It's so expensive in central London. We found a tour that will take us to Pairs for the day or overnight!! Plus all those theatrical plays!! 

Are you going Star class?

30 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Yes, we have decided on Sky class Sky Loft. The difference in price between Sky Loft and Grand Loft couldn't be justified as we will be there several days before the cruise. Been doing a lot of research on hotels, transportation, tours, etc. 

Have you been to London? It's so expensive in central London. We found a tour that will take us to Pairs for the day or overnight!! Plus all those theatrical plays!! 

Are you going Star class?

Sure, it's only $14K pp!  I wish.  We are actually going to rough it in a balcony for this one.  Couldn't justify suite prices at all when I look at all the money we will need for excursions and probably scary airfare.  

We last went to London in 2004.  At the time we did a week and a half in London and Paris.  One of my favourite trips.  I'm sure lots has changed since then.  At the time we stayed in Central London.  No clue what we will do this time.  Let the research begin.  I'm going to look at hotels in Southampton too.  I don't know if we will have time to tour London since we are leaving the kids behind at home...

27 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Sure, it's only $14K pp!  I wish.  We are actually going to rough it in a balcony for this one.  Couldn't justify suite prices at all when I look at all the money we will need for excursions and probably scary airfare.  

We last went to London in 2004.  At the time we did a week and a half in London and Paris.  One of my favourite trips.  I'm sure lots has changed since then.  At the time we stayed in Central London.  No clue what we will do this time.  Let the research begin.  I'm going to look at hotels in Southampton too.  I don't know if we will have time to tour London since we are leaving the kids behind at home...

At least you are going. Maybe you'll get a Royal up offer and win. There's several Grand Loft available currently. Looking forward to meeting you! 

Found a upper class (first class) on Virgin Atlantic from SEA  non stop to LHR for next July is about $5800 for two. Hope it's the same in July 2021.

4 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Found a upper class (first class) on Virgin Atlantic from SEA  non stop to LHR for next July is about $5800 for two. Hope it's the same in July 2021.

Right now airfare from DTW to LHR is about $3000 for the two of us.  I'm going to need that to drop lol.  Is there an airport in Southampton?

I’ll be stalking this thread, and throwing my 2£ in too. I’ll be on the group cruise and either coming early or staying late to tour around. I’ll be picking the brain of my stepmother who grew up in London and still travels there frequently for ideas and will report back. We might fly Norwegian Airlines. They have decent prices from JFK to Gatwick looking at this July. We shall see what happens over the course of the year. They seem to be dropping routes from the states recently.

1 minute ago, 12thman said:

You might want to research Norwegian Air first. In my opinion it's close to bankruptcy think I read it was trying to find a buyer but not certain. 

Yup, I'm aware.........hence the might fly...........travel insurance will be a must for this trip