Revocation of Drink Package Question

ScottyDoo

Hey everyone! I'm going on my first cruise in February and cannot wait! I am part of a large (wedding) group and will be rooming with a friend of mine. Both he and I have purchased the deluxe drink package.

I have small concerns over the possibility of him getting his revoked due to violating their no sharing policy. He is a bit of a wildcard when he drinks, and although he never does anything too over-the-top, buying tons of rounds for new friends at the pool  (or wherever) may be up his alley. I am afraid that he may break the no sharing policy that RC states will result in revocation of a drink pass.

My question is if his drink pass gets revoked, will mine also be at risk of revocation? I am a very responsible drinker, and I don't want to be penalized for his actions. I know that RC generally requires both or none of each stateroom's inhabitants have deluxe drink passes.

Thanks for reading!

You can only get one drink at a time with the package, so if he was to start buying rounds at the bar he would be paying for it. I wouldn’t think everyone in the room would get their drink package revoked due to one person, but have no experience or heard of anyone getting it revoked. Maybe someone else on here might know an official rule on revoked packages. 

It is possible.  In cases when one person gets busted for an offense worthy of punishment such as getting kicked off the ship they will often apply it to everyone in the cabin.

If one person brings illegal drugs and gets busted they don't tend to listen to claims of innocence rather they tend to remove anyone remotely connected to the offense.  "It wasn't me" doesn't tend to work in these situations even if or when true.  Their ship, their rules.

For sharing violations it may depend on the situation or they may just blacklist you both. Their ship, their rules.

9 hours ago, ScottyDoo said:

buying tons of rounds for new friends at the pool  (or wherever) may be up his alley.

Can only get one drink at a time with the drink package. If he's buying a round he will have to pay for the total.

I think once he has to sign the first receipt and gets sticker shock at the price, that might reign him in.

9 hours ago, twangster said:

"It wasn't me" doesn't tend to work in these situations even if or when true.  Their ship, their rules.

I'd like to think that in the case of the drink package, you actually could appeal and prove you weren't involved. Since every drink purchase requires having your card swiped and recorded in the system, the staff can easily pull up the charges to your Sea Pass and see the frequency and number of drinks bought vs. your cabin-mate. I agree they may still choose to revoke both, if only because the violator could grab your card and start using it, but this is definitely a case where there's actual data to back up an "it wasn't me" defense.

7 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I'd like to think that in the case of the drink package, you actually could appeal and prove you weren't involved. Since every drink purchase requires having your card swiped and recorded in the system, the staff can easily pull up the charges to your Sea Pass and see the frequency and number of drinks bought vs. your cabin-mate. I agree they may still choose to revoke both, if only because the violator could grab your card and start using it, but this is definitely a case where there's actual data to back up an "it wasn't me" defense.

The counterargument is that with one cabin mate losing their package privileges they may be pressure or a tendency for the other cabin mate to try to start slipping them drinks and sharing the package.  "How could they do that to you, have a beer on me".  

By allowing one guest in a cabin to retain the drink package they are breaking their own policy that it's all or none.

@ScottyDoo  I agree with the above, but will add a different answer to your question.

You state he is a bit of a wildcard.  

Maybe you should suggest to the bride and groom that a site like this, or even a FB group for the ship exists that they can mass email to those attending their wedding cruise.

•  IE You can say, I know you guys are busy getting ready and have so much to do, so instead of Aunt Sally and others asking questions regarding cruising, you could just blast out an email and say....If you have any questions regarding the ship, what to take (irons, water, balcony dividers,  excursions on their own, etc) you could use these sites.....    I would think as the bride and groom they would be very thankful to you for suggesting this idea.
  •  I say this bc my BFF is going on the Navigator in Feb. for her niece's wedding.  She knows we only sail RCL, so she calls me with the little questions.  Going to Coco Cay,  but nothing planned, should we pay for a beach bed, what about snorkeling, and should we do the Balloon or Para sail?  She is not a  search the net to find a "forum", so she would have either contacted the MOB or the niece to ask those questions if I wasn't there to answer her questions.   

This also allows your cabin mate to find out info if he decides to take the time and search out info for the cruise without it coming back on you directly.... Dude, if you do this, …. may occur.  Your word is one thing.  A forum where everybody is saying this will occur is another.  Same can be said once on the ship if he doesn't do the research, but the majority do.  They will turn to him and say, you know you can't do that, right?  Him: Huh, who says?  The group response:  Didn't you look at the links they sent us?  The over ruling consensus was NO.  

Plus, maybe the bridal couple has been so busy planning and working that they may join just to get ideas.  Maybe, you all have cabins banked together, and now they see people do door decorations, they may want to have a door magnet made for everyone as a gift to the guests.  Maybe for the dress rehearsal dinner they ask if those in the group want to do the Chefs table, or the morning after the wedding you do the Champagne Galley tour brunch if you are at sea.  

Just floating (no pun intended) these ideas out there as a way to keep peace with your cabin mate, while you assist in a polite way the wedding couple.

I do not know if this is against regs for this board, but if you go on FB, typically there will be 2 "closed" FB pages.  1 will be the ship, another will be the sail date.  They are a great resource bc if it is a ship that is less common than on this site,  you will get to see a lot more pics, hints of what to do on the ship,  etc.  I found out on here the hidden door on Anthem in the Solarium.  I would have never really noticed it during the cruise bc of its location.  It was this site that told me about free continental breakfast cabin delivery.  It was this site that taught me why I wanted/needed to get heavy duty magnets.  It was my FB regarding the exact ship that told me things like how to get to the helipad.  IE on Adventure, you have to go out on one side of 1 deck, take a staircase, than another to get there.  Same with the peekaboo bridge.  Had I been a 1st time cruiser,  and never knew of these sites, I would have missed out on those things.  I would have been in the Solarium and just assumed that they will walking the deck bc I wouldn't have known that there was the peekaboo bridge.  

Sorry for the novella, but impo, as a frequent cruiser and having done it also as a family group cruise,  it makes the experience even better when people in the group have "managed" expectations.  They may cruise a lot on NCL, but never on RCL.  Thus, they think they know it all.  What they don't realize is they are truly 2 different cruise lines.  My SIL until last July only cruised NCL, she is basically Pinnacle level on NCL.  Went on thinking she knew it all, compared NCL to RCL up to the day we embarked, and I got to hear weekly that NCL is soooo much better.  Got on the ship and she was like a 1st time cruiser, total different system.  By day 2 she stated that she would never sail NCL again bc they had so much to offer and even said, this is all new to me.

It is true that you can only get one drink at a time with your card, but anyone that has been on a few cruises knows, it is insanely easy to get a drink for someone else. It only takes one to get him booted from the program. RCI used to allow only one person in the cabin to have the package and this is why they no longer do. Someone, on a different board, bragged that he did that and saw nothing wrong with it. It is stealing. If you like this person well enough to share a cabin with him, then you like him enough to sit down and explain to him that things are different on the ship.

Thank you so much for the replies everyone! He always means well, just the kind of guy who gets googly eyes and yells everything he says (which is all good natured), whilst trying to make friends with everyone. A much more likely scenario will be him getting cut off for the night and trying to get us to buy him drinks - something we are all too wise to do ?.

11 hours ago, ellcee said:

Is it possible he won't do it and you're just running through scenarios? No judgment, I do the same, I like to be aware of all possible outcomes.

It is not only possible, it is very likely that's what I'm doing lol. I always like to have a contingency plan for every situation.