mapping out my UDP - good idea?

Eric Chao

hi friends, we are first time cruisers and want to try out the UNLIMITED DINING PLAN.  However, we also want to try the MDR, WINDJAMMER, etc... 

would it be a good idea to book all our nights at specialty restos JUST TO MAKE SURE that we have a reservation.... and then on certain nights, if we dont feel like eating at specialty, just dont show up and go to MDR instead?  is this something people often do?  is there a penalty imposed if we dont show up for our reservation?

we don't want to be an ASS about depriving others of their chance to eat at specialty restos.  i would gladly call them and cancel my reservation if im sure i wont be going ...

hoping for your enlightenment ?

We had the UDP on our cruise this fall and made all out reservations once we were onboard.  If you decide on night to go the the MDR or to the Windjammer cancel your reservation at the restaurant you had booked that evening as a courtesy.  The specialty restaurant maybe booked that night and people maybe trying to get a reservation, or maybe a different seating time.  If you do not show up for your reservation it is not the end of the world, but if you show them the courtesy, maybe when you need to make a reservation or change your seating time the Maitre'd will be more willing to help you out.