Canada\New England

arebee

I thought about calling RC but figured I would try here first since this is the all knowing Star Class people.  We are looking at the Canada\New England cruise next October.  Confused to which airport and which port the ship would be in.  Can ya help a brother out?

For cruises from Quebec City the closest airport is YQB. 

For cruises from Montreal on Empress the closest airport is YUL.  

When I sailed from Quebec City I couldn't find good connections into YQB which is a smaller airport in terms of flights per day.  Instead I flew to Montreal YUL.   YUL is a Canadian gateway airport that has numerous international flights to Europe and other destinations.  It's a much bigger airport compared to YQB.  Flying into Montreal meant finding a way a few hours up the road to Quebec City.  There are buses, VIA Rail and rental cars.  I rented a car one way.  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

For cruises from Quebec City the closest airport is YQB. 

For cruises from Montreal on Empress the closest airport is YUL.  

When I sailed from Quebec City I couldn't find good connections into YQB which is a smaller airport in terms of flights per day.  Instead I flew to Montreal YUL.   YUL is a Canadian gateway airport that has numerous international flights to Europe and other destinations.  It's a much bigger airport compared to YQB.  Flying into Montreal meant finding a way a few hours up the road to Quebec City.  There are buses, VIA Rail and rental cars.  I rented a car one way.  

Found a direct flight from Orlando to Quebec, only 3 hour long.  I looked at your blog that Lovetocruise2002  posted.  Don't think I want to drive 3 hours but who knows.  I'm a hilton honors so the hilton you stayed in would work.  I have a lot of research but its still 11 months away.  We want to start the booking by next month.  I'm trying MEI, we have one with them now for February.  They haven't done anything for us yet but figured we'd give them a try on this one.  I'm used to doing everything and haven't had any issues. 

7 minutes ago, arebee said:

Found a direct flight from Orlando to Quebec, only 3 hour long.  

18 minutes ago, arebee said:

This is the Empress,  doesn't even have balconys.

Empress from Quebec City?  A number of Empress itineraries are from Montreal.  The larger ships like Adventure or Vision can't make it any further up the river than Quebec City but Empress goes all the way to Montreal.

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

Empress from Quebec City?  A number of Empress itineraries are from Montreal.  The larger ships like Adventure or Vision can't make it any further up the river than Quebec City but Empress goes all the way to Montreal.

I was just looking at that.  Now I'm more confused.  It leaves from Montreal, Quebec.  So I must be leaving from Montreal?  Is that the port at 200 de la commune?  Guess the problem is I don't know much about Canada, only been to Vancouver.

It is confusing since the Province is named Quebec and the Provincial capital city is Quebec City.  

Montreal is a much larger city, second largest in the country.  It is further along the St. Lawrence river so not all ships can make it that far.  From the ocean to Quebec City the river is wider.  From Quebec City to Montreal the river is more narrow in places.

Going all the way to Montreal is kind of unique and a benefit of Empress given her size.

Quebec.jpeg.727b82242ef4beffcef4c0080105a76c.jpeg

You should find more flight options into Montreal since it has a larger population base.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

It is confusing since the Province is named Quebec and the Provincial capital city is Quebec City.  

Montreal is a much larger city, second largest in the country.  It is further along the St. Lawrence river so not all ships can make it that far.  From the ocean to Quebec City the river is wider.  From Quebec City to Montreal the river is more narrow in places.

Quebec.jpeg.727b82242ef4beffcef4c0080105a76c.jpeg

You should find more flight options into Montreal since it has a larger population base.

Thanks for the help, hope to get this on the books soon....