Does RC allow Battery Backup device ?

Peter2

1 minute ago, RockerDom31 said:

I don’t remember seeing anything against it in the prohibited items list. The one that I brought in my carryon doubles as a usb hub charger and a power bank and no questions were asked when we went through security:

Anker Powercore Fusion

Thanks I didn't even realize they had a device with dual purposes like that.

Really cool!

7 minutes ago, 12thman said:

That's a power strip USB combo. You can try but others have said it will be confiscated. If it's just a USB charger you should be fine.

Ok must be a new policy sense they keep advertising them as cruise accepted.

I just got something like this https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-Foldable-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B00VH8G1SY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=4+port+usb+plug&qid=1574057090&sr=8-3

Hopefully that is ok.

BTW am I allowed my charging cable for my Battery Powerbank ?

Surge protectors are prohibited, but a simple usb hub will be ok.   Security will act on the side of caution though, and may confiscate something that looks like a surge protector. 

"Cruise Accepted" in a description doesn't necessarily mean it will be allowed in a ship. It's something they say to market the item.....unfortunately there is no guarantee that any cruise line will allow something just because it is advertised  as cruise accepted. 

8 hours ago, Peter2 said:

Ok must be a new policy sense they keep advertising them as cruise accepted.

Cruise accepted is just marketing (and it worked), but  it has no official meaning and didn't come from the cruise lines.  Especially since the people doing the inspections are port employees not cruise employees.  Most of them take the approach: "it has outlets so it's a surge protector, it's banned."

Travel adapters should work (convert one outlet of this type to one outlet of that type).

Multi-port USB anything should work (no power outlets so it's not considered a surge protector, which probably isn't even true for all of them)

Anything else, don't be upset if they take it away.

17 hours ago, teddy said:

Surge protectors are prohibited, but a simple usb hub will be ok.   Security will act on the side of caution though, and may confiscate something that looks like a surge protector. 

"Cruise Accepted" in a description doesn't necessarily mean it will be allowed in a ship. It's something they say to market the item.....unfortunately there is no guarantee that any cruise line will allow something just because it is advertised  as cruise accepted. 

I totally fell for the "cruise accepted" description. Bought one of those strips in September for my cruise this Saturday and now it’s too late to return it. Sure enough, read through the reviews and people reported that RCI confiscated the same one that Peter2 posted and the same one I purchased. Just glad that I read this post and now I know what I can bring. @teddy @Atlantix2000