How many outlets do most rooms have ?

Peter2

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Which ship?

Older ships can have in some cases only two 110v North American outlets.

Newer ships tend to have two 110v North American outlets and one 220v Euro power port.  Some newer ships have a 110v North American outlet by the bed on one side.

Even that isn't absolute, it varies by ship. 

Not sure yet because we haven't booked it yet but will within a month or less.

Any website that lists all cruise ships to find this info on or not really ?

9 hours ago, Peter2 said:

Any website that lists all cruise ships to find this info on or not really ?

Not really for something that specific. If you have some idea of specific ships you think you'd want to book, one option is to go on YouTube and do a search for "<ship name> cabin tour". Since all cabins on a particular ship follow the same general design, you can pretty much pick any tour video and watch through. The majority of the ones I've seen make a point of showing the outlets in the room so people know whether to bring things like a USB charging hub or a plug adapter.

I have to say I never understand this concern.  I am not trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to understand the concern.  How many electronic devices are you taking?

My hubby and I take 2 cell phones and 1 tablet, but even if we took a 2nd tablet/laptop, we would still be good.  Todays electronics hold insanely long charges and take a very short time to charge.  Maybe 90 mins at the worst case (10% and old electronic)  In essence, charge 2 items during the night. Unplug when you wake up.  Plug in the other 2.  Take your shower, get dressed, go to WJ or MDR for breakfast, come back to the cabin and VOILA the other 2 devices are charged.

We have them on the entire time (Voom).  DH uses his phone or tablet to read/play games.  I use mine to read.  When on excursions the tablet/laptops are plugged in charging in the cabin. At night we charge up the phones.  

I get it if you have 4 in the room.  4 phones, 4 tablets/laptops.  It will take an orchestrated event regarding charging.  However, not as much as you think.  You are on vacation.  Everybody knows that, thus using your cell phone is probably only for WhatsApp or FB messenger to locate people you are cruising with.  You can stream, read, play games 8 hrs by the pool and probably still at a 75% charge if it is newer.    FWIW, on our last cruise, due to my husband's career, he was up for a promotion.  He was in constant contact with his employer.  Checking emails, sending info via emails back and forth 3 or 4 times a day.  He still used his phone to listen to music when he worked out at the gym for an hr.  He used it for 3 -4 hrs a day at the pool, either reading or playing games on his phone.  He took non-stop pics during the day.  He used it during the day to keep in contact with everyone in our group (watsapp) We would come back to our cabin (balcony) @5-6 or so and have a drink while we were getting ready for dinner.  He would charge it at that time.  This is the same time I would be using the hair dryer to get ready.  Unplugged the phone.  Unplugged the dryer.  Plug in the laptop and tablet.  Go to dinner.   Come back to go to sleep and unplug the laptop and tablet.  Every device was at 100%.

Just saying, it might seem like too little with the outlets, but really it isn't even with 4 in a room.  

This is where I will probably get flamed, but if you are really on vacay, your devices should not need recharging like they do when you are home on land, thus the number of outlets will not matter in the end.  Than again, I don't travel with teenagers that can't survive without a phone attached to their fingers.

I just got back from the Explorer at Sea yesterday and WOW the room had one outlet with 2 plugs. It was tough I really thought we would have a plug in the bathroom too but NOPE.

@Pima1988  I think the problem comes when you want to charge your phone at the same time you want to dry your hair at the same time you want to plug in your curling iron or shaver??  We didn't take the internet package (because its nice to unplug on vacay) but still two plugs was tough!

47 minutes ago, dancingfish said:

I just got back from the Explorer at Sea yesterday and WOW the room had one outlet with 2 plugs. It was tough I really thought we would have a plug in the bathroom too but NOPE.

@Pima1988  I think the problem comes when you want to charge your phone at the same time you want to dry your hair at the same time you want to plug in your curling iron or shaver??  We didn't take the internet package (because its nice to unplug on vacay) but still two plugs was tough!

Did Explorer not also have one or two 220V Euro outlets?

I suggest looking on Youtube for people of have posted video tours of staterooms. There are plenty of them so just try to find the most current. From my observation the folks ongoing tase tours are pretty good about showing you the outlets, safe, refig, bathroom amenities, et. You can find various stateroom by deck on the RCI website. Just be sure to pay attention to when your ship had its last Reno as things do change, but usually for the better.