Best Deck

Peter2

You're going to get a lot of different answers here.  It's a very subjective question.  I think you have to think about what's best for you.  Are you prone to motion sickness?  Then you want mid-ship.  Do you want to be closer to the dining rooms, theaters and evening activities?  Then look at the lower decks.  Are you a pool nut or love the buffet?  Then you may want to be closer to the higher decks.  Do you have mobility issues?  Then you want to look near an elevator.  If you look at pricing, the cabins within each category that have higher prices, tend to be the more sought after thus deemed "better" locations. 

When booking an interior or ocean view I like a deck close to a deck that can get me outside.  Sometimes that is up high near the pool deck, sometimes it is down low near the embarkation deck.  

On some ships I like being up high for easy access to places like Windjammer or Solarium.  On some ships like Oasis class I like being down on 6/7/8 for easy access to the Promenade, Boardwalk and Central Park.  

So it depends.

Multiple answers for me. For an Alaska cruise we went on the highest deck to get easy access to outside viewing. On a Caribbean cruise we have gone 2cd level to have quick access to ports and/or tenders. Sometimes mid and low if it is in the open seas for less chance of motion sickness. Sometimes the price of the GTY cabin is too good to pass up. On Oasis we did mid ship for location to Boardwalk, Promenade and Central Park.  Seems that all levels have pluses and minuses. Just need to sort your needs for that cruise.

Another thing to keep in mind are that some decks do not allow one to walk from the front to the back of the ship due to a venue or something of that nature.  If you would be bothered by this or have mobility issues, you might want to make sure you are on a deck that allows you to go the full length of the ship.  Otherwise, just make a note that you always need to take the forward or aft elevators/stairs and you'll be just fine.

I don't think the deck you pick is that important, but I do like to pick a deck that is closer to a venue/area I intend on spending a lot of time in order to minimize "commute time".  

With my kids, it has proven to be very helpful to have a room that is one or two decks away from the Windjammer and Adventure Ocean.

22 hours ago, Peter2 said:

What is the best deck to be on during a cruise ?

On the smaller ships, I like being near the Centrum (Deck 4), and have found Decks 3 and 4 convenient.  This assumes you are roughly amidships; the bow can be noisy.

On the larger ships I find proximity to elevators is useful, and since we go to the promenade a lot, a deck like 7-9 balances distance to dining and activities.  Since elevators are often in use, it is important to be about 3 decks or less from your destination so taking the stairs is healthy but not fatiguing.

The main point is to avoid being near a noisy venue and to think about the locations on the ship you'll visit most.   On the Harmony we were pretty far aft, and we ended up eating a lot in the Solarium Bistro, which meant long walks to the bow of the ship.