2 staterooms adjoining vs small suite

We are going as a family of 5 or 6, which option would be most economical and how much is the 3rd or 4th person in the room? Going on Explorer of the Seas to Alaska in 2017. Need to book soon, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Debra

You should look at it both ways. Also call Royal custom service direct as they have family cabins that are much larger than a normal cabins. These do not always show in the online inventory. Reynaline and I took her younger sister with us on the last trip and were able to book on of these rooms on Mariner of the seas. It had two separated bedrooms (1 Large King Bed, 1 Bunk Beds) , and a living room that also had fold out. But it was priced the same as a standard cabin.

We had cabin 8200 which was over 300 square feet and three port windows, since the Explorers layout is very close I'm sure they have these same family cabins. Since cabins open and close even after you are booked keep looking as new cabins and better deals can pop up, just call and re book at that point.

Thank you very much for the input, I was leaning towards 2 staterooms. Does anyone know if there different price for the 3rd person in room?

You pay less for the third berth, but it varies widely. In Europe next year, the third berth is running $249 for an 8 day cruise; at other times, I've paid over $1,000 and have even gotten it for $50. There's no way to predict other than knowing it less than the first two.

On Voyager class and Freedom class ships there are a pair of rooms that are one Balcony and one connected Interior.  On Voyager class they are rooms 9381/9376 and 9676/9681, and on Freedom class they are 9396/9401 and 9696/9701.  They are in the rear back corners of the ship on deck 9 on both classes of ships.  Before booking I would advise looking at the desk plans online to see if you'd like the location - I have no problems with longer walks to the elevators, etc., but to some that may be an issue.  

We booked these for our upcoming November cruise on Adventure for us and our 2 kids.  It saved a few dollars by not having to pick up two connected balcony rooms, and since the the kids are 7 and 9 I'd rather they use our balcony anyway... it's a double win.  

• 2 weeks later...