Dropping Luggage at Cruise Terminal?

Flying into San Juan to take the Freedom in May.  Is it possible to drop luggage at the cruise terminal, leave and come back later for embarkation?  If we fly in a day early, thinking about dropping off luggage day off early day of cruise, and then touring San Juan as we don't have to be on the ship until 3:30pm.  Is that possible?  Otherwise, maybe our hotel could store our luggage?  TIA.  

I honestly would not see a problem with this one, as long as you have given your luggage to a porter and are coming back for the cruise (and as long as you are back in PLENTY of time to ensure that you and your luggage manage to reunite the same day) then I really do not see a issue with it.  Once your luggage is checked it really should not be an issue, its in their care and is on its way to being scanned/searched and heading to your room.  

7 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

I honestly would not see a problem with this one, as long as you have given your luggage to a porter and are coming back for the cruise (and as long as you are back in PLENTY of time to ensure that you and your luggage manage to reunite the same day) then I really do not see a issue with it.  Once your luggage is checked it really should not be an issue, its in their care and is on its way to being scanned/searched and heading to your room.  

GREAT. So, we don't have to board the ship, the same time as our luggage?  

5 minutes ago, Lovestotravel said:

GREAT. So, we don't have to board the ship, the same time as our luggage?  

Once you drop it off with the porter then that starts the process of them checking/screening everything and it is officially in "their" hands and they handle everything from there.  As long as you are back at the terminal and onboard prior to your departure time, nobody will be the wiser about you leaving your luggage there.  You will drop your luggage curbside before you even enter the inside of the terminal.  So if you desired to drop it off and then proceed to catch a Uber, Lyft, or Taxi then there won't be anyone that will know.  

1 minute ago, bhageerah said:

Once you drop it off with the porter then that starts the process of them checking/screening everything and it is officially in "their" hands and they handle everything from there.  As long as you are back at the terminal and onboard prior to your departure time, nobody will be the wiser about you leaving your luggage there.  You will drop your luggage curbside before you even enter the inside of the terminal.  So if you desired to drop it off and then proceed to catch a Uber, Lyft, or Taxi then there won't be anyone that will know.  

Perfect!  Thx!

Terminal should open around 10am.  Drop the luggage off and go explore.  San Juan is excellent for this as they typically have an 8pm departure.  You just need to be back and onboard by 90 minutes before departure. 

Absolutely make sure you have your passports on you before giving up your luggage..you don't want to accidentally send it to the ship before you check in!  You also may want to go ahead and checkin after you drop the luggage off so you don't have to worry about it later.

24 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Terminal should open around 10am.  Drop the luggage off and go explore.  San Juan is excellent for this as they typically have an 8pm departure.  You just need to be back and onboard by 90 minutes before departure. 

Absolutely make sure you have your passports on you before giving up your luggage..you don't want to accidentally send it to the ship before you check in!  You also may want to go ahead and checkin after you drop the luggage off so you don't have to worry about it later.

We do have passports, but I was under the impression we didn't need them because Puerto Rico is a US Territory?  Drivers Licenses are not enough?  Also, good suggestion re: checking in.  Sounds like that will make embarkation quicker and easier when we return. 

24 minutes ago, Lovestotravel said:

We do have passports, but I was under the impression we didn't need them because Puerto Rico is a US Territory?  Drivers Licenses are not enough?  Also, good suggestion re: checking in.  Sounds like that will make embarkation quicker and easier when we return. 

To enter Puerto Rico you only need an ID, but for the ship's embarkation process you will need a passport or an original birth certificate with a valid ID.

2 minutes ago, Lovestotravel said:

Good to know!  Can you tell we haven't cruised before? !

It doesn't matter if you have not cruised before, all that matters is that you finally have seen the light and are joining us!  I know that you guys will have an absolute AMAZING time, and please do me a favor and enjoy some of that wonderful vitamin sea for me!!!?

2 minutes ago, bhageerah said:

It doesn't matter if you have not cruised before, all that matters is that you finally have seen the light and are joining us!  I know that you guys will have an absolute AMAZING time, and please do me a favor and enjoy some of that wonderful vitamin sea for me!!!?

Ah, thank-you so much!  We don't go till end of May, but I am already counting down the days!! Less than 200 now!

You don't need passports as you can use your ID and birth certificate instead since it's a closed loop US cruise.  What I was attempting to emphasize is to not have those IDs in your luggage that you send to the ship as you're going to need them to board the ship. There have been horror stories of people who packed their passports and then they weren't able to find the luggage on the ship and therefore they weren't able to board but their luggage went ahead on the cruise without them!

When a plane flies to or from Puerto Rico to the mainland U.S. it doesn't stop anywhere.  It flies direct.

When a cruise ship sails from Puerto Rico it almost always stops in another country.  

Big difference.  

Everyone is responsible for understanding the documentation required for boarding a cruise ship.  If in doubt don't ask the internet, ask the cruise line.  

12 hours ago, twangster said:

When a plane flies to or from Puerto Rico to the mainland U.S. it doesn't stop anywhere.  It flies direct.

When a cruise ship sails from Puerto Rico it almost always stops in another country.  

Big difference.  

Everyone is responsible for understanding the documentation required for boarding a cruise ship.  If in doubt don't ask the internet, ask the cruise line.  

Yep.  Will make sure we have everything we need.  We already have passports, so we will just bring those I am sure.  Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2019 at 8:57 AM, Lovestotravel said:

Yep.  Will make sure we have everything we need.  We already have passports, so we will just bring those I am sure.  Thanks!

Thank you for all your questions, we have been debating this also.  We cruise out of PR end of May with our 4 children and wanted them to see some of historic old San Juan.  I didn’t want to tote bags all around .  So let me get this straight, at check in, I can drop bags off and then come back a few hours later to actually check in.  Departure is 8:30 pm so if I’m back by 5:00 we should be good.

5 hours ago, Jawsgiles said:

Thank you for all your questions, we have been debating this also.  We cruise out of PR end of May with our 4 children and wanted them to see some of historic old San Juan.  I didn’t want to tote bags all around .  So let me get this straight, at check in, I can drop bags off and then come back a few hours later to actually check in.  Departure is 8:30 pm so if I’m back by 5:00 we should be good.

Dropping your bags off will not be a problem.

Check what time the all-aboard is for the ship. They are required to have the manifest prepared by a certain time.