Embarkation day lunch on Mariner, hoping to avoid crowds.

GrandmaAirplane

Not sure how to handle lunch on embarkation day on Mariner, and would appreciate suggestions.

I will be using a mobility scooter and my then five-year-old grandson does not do well being crowded in & jostled. From what I’ve read, Windjammer seems to be a zoo that first day and, if so, won’t be a good option for us. Evening meals won’t be an issue, as our family group of 8 is booked with early assigned dining in the MDR.

We will likely aim for an early lunch. Will Johnny Rockets be open for lunch that first day? Any other venue that you can suggest for us to try instead of Windjammer?

The Key does not appeal to us, esp. not at $150 CAD per person X7, so that special lunch is not a viable option for us either.

If we are indeed stuck with the Windjammer on that first day, what will be our best strategy?
Will the lines be very long at 11:45? 
Will the scooter be a problem?

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade are quick places to grab some food. 

Is there a Sorrento’s on Mariner?

3 hours ago, stormchaser said:

My family and I ate at Jamie's Italian for our embarkation lunch. 

I see in our cruise planner that Chops is offered on embarkation day, rather than Jamie’s (offered for lunch on one of our Coco Cay days instead.) It has a very limited menu and seems expensive for what is offered.
Would this Chops lunch be discounted on the spot? I see it at $30 CAD pp. right now.

We are willing to pay an up charge, but the value has to be there too... which is why I was asking about Johnny Rockets. 
Would Playmakers be suitable, if we have young kids in our party?

Thanks for all of your responses.

Sorrentos is on the promenade next to Cafe Promenade..basically it's a counter you walk up to and they hand you slices of pizza.

Playmakers is a sports bar..they even have a free foosball table in there to use! They have a menu with lots of kid friendly sports bar type foods (burgers, nachos, wings, etc.)  Embarkation day is the best time to hit it up before everyone else catches on!

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Sorrentos is on the promenade next to Cafe Promenade..basically it's a counter you walk up to and they hand you slices of pizza.

Playmakers is a sports bar..they even have a free foosball table in there to use! They have a menu with lots of kid friendly sports bar type foods (burgers, nachos, wings, etc.)  Embarkation day is the best time to hit it up before everyone else catches on!

Playmakers does incur extra expense, right?  It is not complimentary like WJ or MDR? 

My first stop on Mariner was Café Promenade. But the sandwich selection that particular day was not up my alley. The pizza that had just come out didn't look that appetizing with all the toppings on it and the crew member accidentally ripped it in half and dumped most of the cheese off it, so we passed and went to windjammer instead. (side note the pizza was great the other times we ate there, there just wasn't any cheese pizza available at the time on the first day). It was pretty busy but not overcrowded imo and it was about 11:45.