The Key Royal Caribbean

TonyaLane

This is a truly personal preference item.  Would you already be purchasing the internet for each of you to use?  If yes, that has been a big reason for people to get it.  Otherwise, not really.  Most people have found the perks were not worth it and sometimes were no different than for someone without the key.  Many have said they did not see much use in it for the shows as there was plenty of seating or for priority embarkation as if you go early or are a particular loyalty level that didn't do very much extra.  The Chops lunch is in the MDR and a limited menu.  I think you have to ask yourself if you feel it's worth the $525.

After our first cruise, my wife and I read quite a few threads here while contemplating buying the Key.  After taking everything into consideration, we have decided that the Key is not for us.  We use the money that we would be spending on the Key elsewhere on our cruise.

It really is a personal choice....are the benefits worth the money to you?  For us, the answer was no, but everyone has their own needs and wants.  

That all depends on what you are willing to pay. I would look at the cost of the internet package you are going to buy. I would also take into consideration the ages of the kids, and whether or not they would benefit with a luch from the chops menu. The priority embarkation/debarkation while nice can sometimes be no faster than just getting to the port early, or self carrying your luggage. I have not had issues carrying around my caryon luggage, I just have a backpack so i wouldnt need that benefit. 525 seems high for an internet package and a few other perks that may not be needed

18 hours ago, TonyaLane said:

Is the Key worth the cost? I’ll be traveling with three children. Since internet is included with the key, I’m considering it. Would love to know your thoughts. Works out to be a $525 add on.

Like others have said above, it really is a personal decision. If the big reason you would get the key is the internet, I would suggest doing the math and figuring out what the difference between purchasing the key and an internet package is. At that point, decide if the addition cost is worth the additional perks you get with The Key.

Happy Cruising! 

We had the key on the Empress of the seas .... If you were going to get internet, probably worth it as the cost is minimal per day for addition items. On the Empress of the seas failing so far, nobody around to check our luggage with, we ended up taking the luggage ourselves to the room .......as far as priority seating at shows,  2 shows qualified while the other 6 nights was the normal free for all ...... You do get certain times to use some of the amenities (rock wall) but it is early in the morning ... I think RC needs to breakdown THE KEY by every cruise ship so you know exactly what your benefits are on your specific cruise.

My husband and I got the key.  We have not used it yet (Jan 2020) but for us it was three things that sold us:

1) We were going to want internet for both of us anyway.

2) I would be stressing about not getting a decent seat at shows and this would put a damper on the vacation so we decided the Key is worth it to us for my sanity.  It’s different for everyone I am finding out.

3). This is our first sailing and I am intrigued by everything I am hearing about Chops except for the price.  This seemed like a happy medium as well.  Not exactly the same but a sampler.