Check-in

Vwjo

On 11/15/2019 at 6:56 AM, Vwjo said:

Just wondering... How soon after the 90 day mark do you check-in?  Any advantages to doing it right away vs waiting?

Still a newbie (3rd cruise in 87 days!).  So thankful for all the advice on this site and how friendly everyone is! ~jo

There is one potential disadvantage for early check in, if you are expecting a credit card/passport to expire and be replaced prior to the cruise.  Example: my Royal CC was renewed but the CVA code was different so the online information I had submitted was incorrect.  When I tried to update the information online, the cruise documents had already been issued and I wasn't allowed to change anything.   On embarkation, I asked the agent about my credit card and was told I was OK.  However, I was surprised on disembarkation day when I was informed I needed to pay my bill in person.  Guest Services took care of me at 6 AM, but it was a bit of an inconvenience. 

If the CC you are going to use and your passport numbers/dates won't change, then checking in early is fine.  Otherwise, wait until you have all of the new information you'll need to input.

5 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

There is one potential disadvantage for early check in, if you are expecting a credit card/passport to expire and be replaced prior to the cruise.  Example: my Royal CC was renewed but the CVA code was different so the online information I had submitted was incorrect.  When I tried to update the information online, the cruise documents had already been issued and I wasn't allowed to change anything.   On embarkation, I asked the agent about my credit card and was told I was OK.  However, I was surprised on disembarkation day when I was informed I needed to pay my bill in person.  Guest Services took care of me at 6 AM, but it was a bit of an inconvenience. 

If the CC you are going to use and your passport numbers/dates won't change, then checking in early is fine.  Otherwise, wait until you have all of the new information you'll need to input.

At check in tell them you want to use a different card.  Takes 15 seconds.  They'll swipe it which overrides anything in the system even the same card number.