May have gone too far on Navigator

Matt

So far I've made reservations for Izumi, Sabor, Chops and Giovannis on my Navigator of the Seas cruise.

Hi, my name is Matt and I'm addicted to specialty restaurants!

I share your addiction. We have eaten at all except Sabor. Enjoy the dining experiences! Izumi is unique.

Did they have a dining package for Navigator like they do on Oasis and Allure, or did you have to reserve each restaurant separately?

I really liked the dining package we had on Allure of the Seas. It was nice to get 4 restaurants in a package, saving 20%.

They also had the savings package on Rhapsody this Spring.

Did they have a dining package for Navigator like they do on Oasis and Allure, or did you have to reserve each restaurant separately?

I really liked the dining package we had on Allure of the Seas. It was nice to get 4 restaurants in a package, saving 20%.

Unless I'm not seeing it, there appears to be no package aside from the Set Sail Dining Deal (day 1 only for groups of 8+) and the Celebration Dining Deal (Day 1 or 2 for 4+ people).

din.jpg

We had not seen the Rhapsody package available on-line before cruise--not sure if we even looked?. It was offered on boarding date for purchase, and could be used any day of the cruise. As I recall Chops, Izumi, & Giovani's was $59 per person, $99 if you added Chefs Table. Possibly they offered it because it was a 13 day repositioning cruise?

Specially dining purchase is not yet available for our Serenade trip in May but will definity be looking for the package. If not offered prior to sailing we will wait & purchase on-board so if they offer the package we can take advantage of it. If not we'll buy anyway -- have never had problem getting reservations when we want to dine. Chops tends to be most difficult if you want formal night so we always purchase package & book it at the same time.

We had not seen the Rhapsody package available on-line before cruise--not sure if we even looked?. It was offered on boarding date for purchase, and could be used any day of the cruise. As I recall Chops, Izumi, & Giovani's was $59 per person, $99 if you added Chefs Table. Possibly they offered it because it was a 13 day repositioning cruise?

Hmm, if that's the case I am probably out of luck.  I don't think my reservations are refundable but always worth asking if that is the case.  

Right now I have one reservation for Izumi but I'm working on letting my wife go another 6 or 7 times  :lol:

Matt what stateroom are you staying in? A new virtual balcony or a panorama window stateroom?

Actually we have a family oceanview stateroom.

I wanted to get a virtual balcony but because we are a group of 3, we can't fit in there (per Royal Caribbean).  

I am going through the compasses for Allure Western saling to figure out which nights may be good to skip MDR. Anyone know if the pattern tends to stay the same? I am looking at the august 2013 allure western compasses on the blog. There was one menu on Enchantment rotation I wish I would have realized and skipped for Chops! :)

I am going through the compasses for Allure Western saling to figure out which nights may be good to skip MDR. Anyone know if the pattern tends to stay the same? I am looking at the august 2013 allure western compasses on the blog. There was one menu on Enchantment rotation I wish I would have realized and skipped for Chops! :)

Shawn, I was on Oasis in 2012, I can tell you there is a set different menu each night (each nights menu has a different name), however, they are not always in the same order. So planning ahead of time which nights to skip MDR might be problematic.

My suggestion to you would be to wait and make the decision to skip after you've seen the nights menu. You can view it on your stateroom tv. Don't worry about the specialty restaurants booking up, they usually do, but staff is good about squeezing people in.

Don't stress yourself out too much about what you're going to do, it's your vacation so enjoy!  ;)

Pattern in terms of the menu? Or pattern in terms of which nights are formal nights and which are casual nights?

My wife and I try to skip "lobster night" in MDR since neither of us eat lobster (I know, this must be shocking to many of you) and eat at a specialty restaurant.

As a personal rule that is based on nothing but my absurd idiosyncrasies, I never skip first or last night in MDR because I want to be able to meet wait staff and then say goodbye.

Pattern in terms of the menu? Or pattern in terms of which nights are formal nights and which are casual nights?

My wife and I try to skip "lobster night" in MDR since neither of us eat lobster (I know, this must be shocking to many of you) and eat at a specialty restaurant.

As a personal rule that is based on nothing but my absurd idiosyncrasies, I never skip first or last night in MDR because I want to be able to meet wait staff and then say goodbye.

Not shocking, lobster is not kosher. My wife and I don't eat it either.  ;)

Yeah I want to go the MDR first and last night. Yeah the rotation of the menus themselves. I don't mind the dressing up. I was trying to think ahead of the nights for babysitting/specialty restaurant. We can always fall back to the lovely idea of "windjamèr" before camp for the girls if babysitting doesn't work. I don't crave lobster but my wife loves it (not kosher), but I did win the kosher brisket cook off! ;)

No stressing here. Just planning the invasion! ;) jk creating the bucket list for allure. :)

It wont help you all that much now, but each day the menus are posted outside the restaurant so you could make a game-time decision.

As much as I preach about booking specialty restaurants in advance, you usually can get a walk up table, especially if you're flexible with times.

It wont help you all that much now, but each day the menus are posted outside the restaurant so you could make a game-time decision.

As much as I preach about booking specialty restaurants in advance, you usually can get a walk up table, especially if you're flexible with times.

This is true. I say exactly the same thing. Play it by day. I would even say there are 2 menus during a 7 night cruise that I don't particularly care for anything on the menu, so I tend to skip those nights and opt for a specialty restaurant. 

• 2 weeks later...

Also of note, some people like to be in the MDR (or NOT be in the MDR) on formal night. Formal night IS known ahead of time, so once on-board, just ask Guest Services or any Restaurant staff.

Now, I'm planning on booking the Central Park Dining Package on Allure OTS ahead of time. THEN, once on-board, I'll book both Samba Grill and Izumi. This is the cheapest option to visit all 5 restaurants, depending on how much you plan to spend at Izumi. Additionally, it allows me to take advantage IF they happen to be offering the 2-for-1 deal on embarkation day (for the two restaurants NOT included in the Central Park Dining Package).

Yes, there is a science to my addiction.

Show reservations for my sailing are posted, but Chicago is the only show NOT bookable yet.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I canceled reservations for specialty restaurants on next weeks cruise after the Quantum announcement of the elimination of the MDR.  We figure it's a last hurrah for us of this grand old tradition, and will definitely be spending our meals in the MDR.

I watched the Google+ hangout video, and it's clear that they thought this change out well; I get it, I understand where they're coming from, but for this one last cruise we will do the old-fashioned way for old times sake. 

I am going to miss the MDR but always willing to try something new. The quantum restaurants look really cool and cover so many great types of cuisine. Too bad sabor is not on board to try as well. Just a good reason to try a different ship too!

For Izumi, is there a good selection of non sushi, such as cooked salmon or teriyaki chicken ? Was the hot rock cooking good? Thinking of taking my older daughter there for her to try it.

Jealous Don!!!! 6?!?! ;)

For Izumi, is there a good selection of non sushi, such as cooked salmon or teriyaki chicken ? Was the hot rock cooking good? Thinking of taking my older daughter there for her to try it.

Yes. I don't eat sushi, and I got a hot rock with chicken (and beef, I think). There were plenty of non-fish options for me. :-)

I am going to miss the MDR but always willing to try something new. The quantum restaurants look really cool and cover so many great types of cuisine. Too bad sabor is not on board to try as well. Just a good reason to try a different ship too!

Jealous Don!!!! 6?!?! ;)

She will love it, probably cool to hot rock cook her own. Yes lots of choices other than sushi, which I don't do. Don't recall entire menu but for sure chicken & steak for hot rock, they will probably let you try anything in reason, ie fish, shrimp, maybe even veggies? What ever she chooses will be great if she can cok her own! Waiter would probably help her as well. Take lots of photos -- what a show & tell opportunity.

I was trying to find out the restaurants at the Explorer of the Seas, so I can make some reservations since everyone's is talking about those awesome places....but I can only find 1 restaurant (besides the MDR) does anyone know if there is more than one or just Portofino is available at the Explorer???

I was trying to find out the restaurants at the Explorer of the Seas, so I can make some reservations since everyone's is talking about those awesome places....but I can only find 1 restaurant (besides the MDR) does anyone know if there is more than one or just Portofino is available at the Explorer???

Portofino & Johnny Rockets are the specialty restaurants onboard Explorer of the Seas currently.