Dress code during informal and formal nights in the MDR

amitkl

For Royal's cruises in Asia, it seems almost anything is within the formal night dress code. On longer cruises (7 Nights +) you do see suits (I wear one) and a few Tux, most others in nice slacks and a collared shirt. But I have seen people in dress t-shirts and it is allowed. On my last short cruise out of Singapore four nights I was the only one I saw in a suit on formal night during my time in the dinning room. Most of the passengers were dressed almost like ever other night, men in slacks and a open shirt, ladies in a non formal dress or slacks.

The dress code is simply a suggestion and pretty much everything is allowed. However, that said, you might get some repaired eyebrows if you go too casual on formal nights. However, I will admit to going to the dining room for dinner on casual night once in shorts on another line with fixed dining as our excursion returned to the ship late.

For formal night, as Matt said, you'll be fine with a collard shirt. And while I gave up the suit on formal night years ago, I still wear slacks, a dress shirt, and a tie on formal night.

We had two elderly couples from Scottland on my last cruise out of Hong Kong in July. Both men were wearing their highland dress with kilts, sgian-dubh, sporran & ghilles. The Chinese loved taking their pictures with these two dressed up gents, I still wonder if they thought these two Scotts were part of the crew, hahaha

Well I disagree with the last statement. If your on vacation and go to a fancy resturant you would have to dress up. Its nice to see and to know people can dress up once or twice and not have flip flops on and cut off shorts with a tank top on in the main dining room.

For dinner, it's very unlikely that you'd see cut offs or flip flops as they're explicitly forbidden at dinner. Now whether or not they'll enforce the rules is an entirely different issue.

Got it thank you all!

Another question: We are a family of 5. Will we be sitting with other guests or we'll be sitting it a table of our own?

If you're in My Time Dining, you can request a table by yourself and will likely be put at one anyways. If you're in fixed dining, it could be with another family. If the later, did you out in a request for table size?

Well I disagree with the last statement. If your on vacation and go to a fancy restaurant you would have to dress up. Its nice to see and to know people can dress up once or twice and not have flip flops on and cut off shorts with a tank top on in the main dining room.

I see both sides of this and could make the case for either side.

Case: It my vacation and can dress the way I want to.  

Since the main dinning room is the standard included restaurant choice for the cruise you should not be required to dress for a formal night. In many parts of the World suits are not standard and not worn, or very limited use. Royal has extra charge dinning options that are not included and those are the places dress codes should be.  On vacation I want to enjoy myself and my clothes do not affect the other passengers. 

Case: Royal should enforce dress codes and formal nights. 

Only a few nights on the cruise are set as formal. The norm is two on a seven day cruise. Notice has been given and many travelers want these formal nights. If you do not want to dress for formal night you have several other included dinning options. Many guest want formal pictures and these pictures done in the dinning rooms since other guest are also in the dinning rooms a dress code is need as these people appear in the background.  Formal night pictures are not formal with t shirts in the background.  Suits or even jackets are not required, it takes no extra effort to pack a dress shirt to go with the slacks you already have. Royal is free to set any policy they want passengers are free to follow the rule or not cruise with Royal. Land restaurants enforce rules and dress codes, even included food locations, so the practice is within normal standards.  It is not fair to the people who booked and wanted formal nights to have other passengers stop them from enjoying these parties they have paid for. Formal nights bring back the golden era of cruising. 

The only thing I know 100% for sure.... never will everyone on the cruise be happy with the dress codes or lack of them.

Got it thank you all!

Another question: We are a family of 5. Will we be sitting with other guests or we'll be sitting it a table of our own?

It depends.  You can make a request one way or the other, but it is possible to happen.