Unaswered Questions with Unlimited Dining Package

Ban-One

Hi there,

contacted Royal twice about my experiences with the Dining Package on the Rhapsody. One time I didn't get an answer at all, the second time - this time through Crown&Anchor - I got one, but my question hasn't been answered anyways. I hope you guys can help me out. Here's what I'd like to know / what I wrote:

"Hi,

We had a fantastic - almost perfect - Greek Island Cruise this late September/October on the Rhapsody. Wonderful ship, great ports, fantastic steaks at Chops Grille and really good live music all around. Could go on with the list and name lots of wonderful staff members, but I did that already in the survey after the cruise, where I also addressed some issues, which still are not answered.

Firstly I wanna say that we just loved the Chops Grille. Chef, staff, Maitre'D, the setting....and the fantastic quality of the steaks all 10/10. So good we went there 6 times. Only on the last day the Chops Grille was closed due to a wedding. Too bad, but understandable. Just too bad since it was the very last night on the ship that we wanted to celebrate in style. 

But my biggest question is about the Unlimited Dining Package which we booked in advance. If I may repeat the words in which the Package was formulated in the confirmation e-mail I got at that time:

"First things first, the Ultimate Dining Package is now known as the Unlimited Dining Package, and it’s just that, unlimited. Now, you can dine at any of our specialty dining venues for lunch and dinner, and as many times as you want! Your appetite is the limit."

And also on the Royal Caribbean Website:
"For one low price, you can enjoy multiple entrees and visit multiple specialty restaurants every night of your sailing."

I was under the impression after reading these sentences (unlimited...multiple entrees), that we could have - for example - some Sushi / Sushi Rolls at Izumi and then head to Chops Grille to get some steak. 
But we were told that this is not possible (I asked the restaurant staff as well as at the front desk). What we could do is just pay for our meal at Izumi and then head to Chops for the free/included in the package dinner. Since we really wanted some Sushi Rolls at Izumi before Chops we did that and just paid for it. 
It's really not about the money, but since I plan to purchase the Unlimited Package again for my next cruise, I just wonder if I misunderstood the guidelines of the Package. Because I don't wanna look like a fool on my next cruise :)"

---------

That was my mail. Nobody could straight up answer me, if it is possible - as clearly stated in their own term and conditions - to have let's say two meals in one night. Cause that's what Izumi refused us to give before we went to Chops for the Steak. Even though there was only ONE (!) other table that night when we visited (and paid for).

Any answers for me or other experiences.
We go back cruising next fall. Back on the Allure (after 8 years). And clearly I will purchase the Unlimited Package again. But I wannna save time and discussions, so I really wonder what's possible and what's not. It would also be great, if they make a reservation system pre-cruise for Unlimited Package Users (Crown&Anchor said they're working on it, but it's not coming that soon).

Thanks for any help and thanks to whoever made it through my whole post ?

It is my understanding that with the package you can dine at multiple restaurants each night. However they won't allow you to make more than one reservation in an evening, so if you wanted to stop and get sushi they would have to do it based on space available. Also they have clarified that it's still one entree per visit and they try to say that the reference to multiple entrees in the package description means that you're doing multiple restaurant visits. I've read accounts where the package was honored for everything, and also accounts where the package wasn't even honored the way it was written. It appears to be up to the discretion of the current hotel director on board.

8 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

It is my understanding that with the package you can dine at multiple restaurants each night. However they won't allow you to make more than one reservation in an evening, so if you wanted to stop and get sushi they would have to do it based on space available. Also they have clarified that it's still one entree per visit and they try to say that the reference to multiple entrees in the package description means that you're doing multiple restaurant visits. I've read accounts where the package was honored for everything, and also accounts where the package wasn't even honored the way it was written. It appears to be up to the discretion of the current hotel director on board.

Thank you for your answer. Looks like actually I wasn't completely off with my wish. Just wanted a plate of Sushi Rolls each at the (empty except for one table) Izumi and then a starter and a steak at Chops. Still ended up paying for Izumi, since I really got tired of asking around (and everybody said no). But - if it's as you stated - I should have gotten what I planned then. But - as you also say - it looks like it depends on the ship and the staff. But that's too bad, I think things like that should be communicated clearly to the staff from the top management. Like this some get what they paid for....and some not.

1 hour ago, Ban-One said:

Thank you for your answer. Looks like actually I wasn't completely off with my wish. Just wanted a plate of Sushi Rolls each at the (empty except for one table) Izumi and then a starter and a steak at Chops. Still ended up paying for Izumi, since I really got tired of asking around (and everybody said no). But - if it's as you stated - I should have gotten what I planned then. But - as you also say - it looks like it depends on the ship and the staff. But that's too bad, I think things like that should be communicated clearly to the staff from the top management. Like this some get what they paid for....and some not.

Right..you should have been able to swing into Izumi and get up to $35 per person in sushi and then gone to your Chops dinner.  Royal really fails at being consistent with their policies and the only thing you can really do is advocate for yourself on the ship and try to get it resolved at that time.  Of course that means spending some of your precious cruise vacation arguing to get what you paid for. 

Unfortunately it may or may not be the same situation when you try it on Allure. though you will have more options.  

We have the UDP on Navigator in a couple weeks.  My wife doesn't like Izumi but I wouldn't mind getting a roll or possibly a simple appetizer before dinner somewhere else.  I took a printout of the terms from the website and will have that with me.  My hope is that this whole situation isn't a problem for us, but if it is, hopefully a polite conversation and showing them their own terms will help.  Unfortunate that the policy seems to be interpreted differently everywhere but I will try and report back on how it works for us.

34 minutes ago, Chef Sandra said:

I thoughtt hat I read the Japanese Restaurant is not included in this plan it is always Ala carte 

If you go to Izumi, you should get a $35 per person credit as it's typically an ala carte restaurant.  Same would go for a place like Playmakers.  Mileage varies on the Hibachi side as far as whether a given ship will accept UDP for there.  Recent reports have been mixed for sure.

12 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Hibachi is not included. Sushi and other items would be, as Cody stated above.

This is not what they say in their FAQ page here.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-restaurants-are-included-in-the-unlimited-dining-package

Capture2.thumb.PNG.54b7ac1882c2c6649a49cdffc9f98738.PNG

The only thing I notice is that Hibachi is not linked to its own page.

12 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Hibachi is Absolutely included with the Unlimited package... However each ship has handled it differently.. Some ships let you order the 2 protein option and others let you order the 1 protein option but hibachi is included with Unlimited package only 

On 11/14/2019 at 7:14 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

Royal’s website lists Izumi Hibachi as a restaurant that is included in the unlimited dining package.  It’s probably a good idea to print out this page and have it with you in case they try to charge you for the Hibachi 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-restaurants-are-included-in-the-unlimited-dining-package

9B10BA2C-AD24-4120-8F9D-300A4A7F6646.png

On 11/18/2019 at 8:03 PM, ChrisK2793 said:

So the Suite Concierge on Oasis just emailed me and said that Izumi Hibachi is NOT included in the UDP, even though the RC webpage listed above says that it is included ..... 

6FA5A398-24A1-49DC-9A0C-5D0C253635F9.png

Hopefully you will get it included, please let us know how you get on as I'm hoping to be able to include Hibachi with the UDP on Allure in January.

Someone just did a review of the UDP on Mariner over on another website.  They were told they could do Hibachi and get two proteins which they were able to get filet and lobster.  Clearly, it all comes down to a specific ship and is definitely frustrating when terms show one thing and then we're often told another.  Here's to hoping they come out with a universal policy whatever it is that is truly enforced/followed.