Can you check in and then leave the boat?

brian_md

We are embarking on a 10 day aboard the ovation. We also have tickets for an opera house tour between 12 and 2, but not sure of exact time. If we get a later time, I suggested we check in, leave our bags, then leave the boat for the tour.  Is this allowed?  More trouble than its worth?  Can always just leave bags with hotel until later. 

This may be more trouble than its worth. You need to be on board I believe at least one hour before sail away, so if your tour runs long, or get stuck in traffic you could be denied boarding. I have never tried to get off the ship once checked in, but overall this just sounds like a missed cruise waiting to happen.

You need to be on the ship 90 minutes prior to sailing. I am not sure I would try this, as their are so many things that might make it so you could not get on the ship. It would be awful having to watch the ship sail away without you at any port, but especially on embarkation day. 

Plus, I believe, part of the great part of cruising is that you are able to get on the ship early and "start" your vacation the minute you board. 

It was years and years ago, but we had a very early morning tour of the opera house,  got our bags dropped them off, had lunch and then boarded. The tour is quite long if I remember right, may want to try for when you get back. It’s well worth it, but you don’t want to risk missing boarding

3 hours ago, brian_md said:

We are embarking on a 10 day aboard the ovation. We also have tickets for an opera house tour between 12 and 2, but not sure of exact time. If we get a later time, I suggested we check in, leave our bags, then leave the boat for the tour.  Is this allowed?  More trouble than its worth?  Can always just leave bags with hotel until later. 

I forgot to mention, you can drop your bags off at the OPT before you check-in. Do so at say, 11am, then stroll around Circular Quay to the Opera House (about a 15 minute walk non-stop). Done.

If the tour finishes at 2pm, there's no chance of missing the ship.

Thanks for al the replies. Dropping the bags first would have been the best plan.  I didn’t even think of that, but it was so simple. We just held them at the hotel. For future reference, due to customs, you wouldn’t be allowed to disembark after checking in. We had plenty of time in the end.