debarkation question

Eric Chao

hi friends

is it possible to NOT get our luggage immediately after we debark the ship on the final port of destination?

my idea is to leave the luggage with RCL for 4 to 5 hours while we go exploring areas nearby the harbor so we are luggage free.  Then go back to harbor after 5 hours to get luggage and take taxi to our hotel.

because our hotel is about 1 hour away from the harbor, im thinking this could be a good way to at least see the nearby sights before having to drive so far away

is this DOABLE?  will they dispose of our luggage if we dont immediately retrieve them?  or will they keep them safe like in the airports when you dont immediately get your luggage they will store it safely somewhere right?

hoping someone could reply

much thanks

eric

I imagine it would be stored somewhere, but not necessarily at the same terminal and the process to retrieve might not be as easy as you imagine.  It will probably end up wherever lost and found is for the entire port.  Also remember, the port employees aren't Royal's employees so if something happens to your luggage, you may not have any recourse through Royal.

You'll have to post what port you are using to get a better answer.

No, you can’t do that.  Once the ship has been cleared, the crew switches over to loading luggage for the new cruise.  It’s a massive security issue and could very well get the port shut down when they can’t find you.  I’ve been on a cruise where a luggage security issue shut down the Port of Miami in 2014.  Thankfully I was staying on board for the next cruise, but it was a major issue.

If you do this, upon your return to attempt to collect your luggage or if they find you outside the port without your luggage, you will be going down a road you will not like such as for starters, you will be put on a "no fly list" and if you have TSA Precheck, you can kiss it goodbye. This happened to a colleague and boy did his wife let him have it then, now and every time they have to stand on a long line at the airport and pulled to the side and asked a million questions!!

Find a local hotel, etc. to store your luggage for a couple of hours. Better to spend a couple of dollars than be nagged, harrased and reminded by your wife what YOU did every time you travel because YOU will definitely get blamed for it!!! ????