Confirming what many of us already know - Royal Caribbean is #1!

1 hour ago, bhageerah said:

All I am going to say is that RCCL was number one IMHO after my first cruise on Oasis of the Seas!  Even though it would be MUCH easier for us to sail on Carnival out of Norfolk VA, I will gladly travel and have a better trip! ?

We have many carnival ships within 30 minutes of me but i rather fly all the way to Florida from California for royal caribbean.

Loyal to Royal!

10 minutes ago, MicroBeta said:

What I find interesting is that Carnival has 15% more passengers than RCI and yet RCI made 56% more money than Carnival.

Mike

I think carnival attracts a majority of a certain median household that is more price aggressive compared royal caribbean. Although you know what you're getting when you go with RCI every single time and consistent!

11 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I like Royal Caribbean but remember this is all marketing fluff. I’m sure other cruise lines find other websites or magazines that say “Best Cruise Line for “  their brand and go with it. Remember this is just per US News and World Report. Travel and Leisure may have someone else. Budget Traveler someone else, AAA someone else, etc etc 

1 hour ago, Oliver said:

I like Royal Caribbean but remember this is all marketing fluff. I’m sure other cruise lines find other websites or magazines that say “Best Cruise Line for “  their brand and go with it. Remember this is just per US News and World Report. Travel and Leisure may have someone else. Budget Traveler someone else, AAA someone else, etc etc 

Don't rain on my parade ?   lol

I agree with Oliver that every cruise company will find something they are the best at.  It is kind of like colleges...best small university in NM.  

That being said, I stick with Royal. 

Carnival is just not my thing,  feels like they are trying too hard to offer everything (quantity) and to make money they skimp on quality.  Hence, their passengers in my opinion are much younger and why many cruisers call it the booze cruise line. 

Princess is great for the money, but bc it is more expensive than RCL, I find the ship is filled with older passengers.  I maybe in my 50s, but we are very active, and the vibe on Princess just feels slower and lower than RCL

NCL would be the only other cruise line I consider.  However,  I have always felt that RCL takes better care of their ships.  Plus, now with Coco Cay and NCL's right next to it, it would kill me to be on NCL being tendered to their private island and looking at the RCL ships docked after being to Perfect Day.

I did not include Celebrity because it is part of the RCL family.

15 hours ago, Oliver said:

While I won't disagree with the statement, a key thing to keep in mind is the reach of US News & World Report vs those other magazines you mentioned. A lot more people are going to read US News and see that, even if only in passing, than the people who are aware of those travel mags and have actively subscribed to them or follow their content online. US News continues to be delivered under the room doors of a ton of hotel chains every morning, and it's even available at a good number of Starbucks locations. 

This article also predicts when the best time to book a cruise is.  Has anyone heard of this Wave Season?  I always thought you should book as soon as the cruise becomes available for sale.

Book your cruise early in the year. The best time to book a cruise is January, February or March, which is a period called the Wave Season, explains Travelzoo’s senior editor Gabe Saglie. “Wave Season is cruising’s equivalent to Black Friday,” explains Faust, adding that the majority of lines introduce some kind of incentive for you to book in the upcoming year. “Savings can come in the form of discounted fares; add-ons like complimentary beverage packages or onboard credit that can be used for drinks, shore excursions or spa treatments; cabin upgrades or even free airfare – allowing travelers to save hundreds, even thousands of dollars,” he says.

4 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Has anyone heard of this Wave Season?  I always thought you should book as soon as the cruise becomes available for sale.

Booking as soon as the cruise becomes available lets you lock in your cabin location and take advantage of price drops until final payment.  Doesn't 100% guarantee the best prices as the cruiseline will reduce prices on cruises that don't sell well.

This January, February, March time period comes right after the holidays where folks are weary of spending as they recoup from the holiday spending season. So anything that the cruiseline can do to get that deposit cash flow coming they will.  If they can fill the cruises early in the year they won't have to reduce the prices further on down the line.  I don't think the prices will necessarily be better, but there might be OBC offers or extra perks..they may even offer incentives to TAs who then can pass along more perks to their customers such as free dining.