Formal night optional?

Phs79

Welcome to the boards!

The formal nights are not really formal anymore - they call them "Dress your Best" or something along that line - I don't recall exactly from my last cruise.  When we went to dinner on formal night, the attire ranged from formal to vacation casual.  The majority of people were smart casual.  Other restaurants on board are open on formal nights as well, so you can always choose to dine somewhere else, which may or may not have a smart casual dress code also, unless its the Wind Jammer which is always casual!

17 hours ago, Phs79 said:

Hi all, we have a 7 night cruise in January on Harmony of the Seas. This will only be our second cruise, our first was on DCL.   Are formal nights optional? Are other restaurants open on formal nights?

Thanks

Paul

In September the first formal night was "wear your best" but the lobster night was still labeled "formal".  We dressed the same for both -- I wore a suit and my wife wore nice dresses (but not formal gowns).  And technically, the nicer dress is optional (recommended), with many men not wearing ties.  Other threads explain the dress practices in detail, but I want to point out one new practice I witnessed this fall.  On the 2nd formal there was a "white" night at 11 PM, so a lot of Harmony guests changed to white outfits in the PM to stroll the promenade, have the formal dinner, and then enjoy the later evening.  If that appeals to you, go for it!

On 11/12/2019 at 8:08 AM, ChessE4 said:

In September the first formal night was "wear your best" but the lobster night was still labeled "formal".  We dressed the same for both -- I wore a suit and my wife wore nice dresses (but not formal gowns).  And technically, the nicer dress is optional (recommended), with many men not wearing ties.  Other threads explain the dress practices in detail, but I want to point out one new practice I witnessed this fall.  On the 2nd formal there was a "white" night at 11 PM, so a lot of Harmony guests changed to white outfits in the PM to stroll the promenade, have the formal dinner, and then enjoy the later evening.  If that appeals to you, go for it!

Back when White Parties were in style NCL did them very Victoria's Secret People flying through the air, flashing drinks, glowing ice cubes . Last September of last year we were on the Oasis and they were doing 80's themes. It's a little annoying that they don't really mention it on the pre cruise information

• 2 weeks later...

Just off Mariner, and dress was not enforced in the main dining room at all. On "Dress Your Best" night, adult men were being let in wearing tshirts, sloppy cargo shorts and flip flops. I would say more than half the dining room was not participating in any sort of formality. It was kind of a bummer honestly, because I was looking forward to it, and felt like my feet could've done without the 4 inch heels after all the stair climbing and dancing I did that night.