Bringing non-alcoholic drinks onboard

JustmeCindy

I’m a little confused. We received our e-docs today and it states that non-alcoholic beverages are not permitted to be brought onboard, however I see on the website FAQ that they are?? We were planning on bringing a case of water, and maybe a case of pop (we have two rooms). Can anyone clear up the confusion? Thanks ?

F847CCD9-5DD5-4F54-B58D-D1176E83ABDC.jpeg

D2DA6622-FDED-4FAE-BC94-5A0D0F76D8EB.jpeg

All,

Thanks for the non-alcoholic beverage clarifications.  I am curious to know if the policy allows you to carry on 2 bottles (750 ml each) or wine and two bottles (750 ml each) of non-alcoholic sparkling cider (for our kids).  The two bottles of cider are less than 12 * 17 oz; however, each bottle is greater than 17 oz.

Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, DaddyTheRunner said:

All,

Thanks for the non-alcoholic beverage clarifications.  I am curious to know if the policy allows you to carry on 2 bottles (750 ml each) or wine and two bottles (750 ml each) of non-alcoholic sparkling cider (for our kids).  The two bottles of cider are less than 12 * 17 oz; however, each bottle is greater than 17 oz.

Thanks in advance.

As the rules are written, the answer would be no and I would expect them to answer your email that way.  However, you might get lucky at the port.  Those bottles must be unopened (so they won't think you're trying to sneak extra alcohol on board).  Don't buy anything expensive so you don't get upset if they make you toss them.

11 hours ago, DaddyTheRunner said:

All,

Thanks in advance.

If you have two cabins, then they would probably think the sparkling cider was wine and thus you would be allowed 4 bottles in total (2 per cabin). 

But as suggested above you can try it and just don't invest a lot of money in the cider in case they don't allow it.  I would split it up between carry-ons as 2 bottles with each adult in hopes they won't be paying attention that you are getting around the 2 bottles per cabin limit.  

Even if you get a positive response from the cruiseline that it would be allowed, the folks at the port are not employees of the cruiseline and they are going off the security rules as they know them.

Another option is to look for the bottles that fit the rules.  There are sparkling ciders out there (non-alcoholic) that come in individual bottles.  I notice the 12 bottles/cans policy doesn't state they have to be plastic or aluminum.  https://www.amazon.com/Martinellis-Medal-Sparkling-Apple-Bottles/dp/B079SW7VFY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sparkling+cider+plastic+bottles&qid=1573655955&sr=8-3

Only one cabin for the four of us, it will be cozy.

The expense is not an issue because they are about $2 per bottle.  My plan is to put one in each of the kid's carry on bag.  Then whoever wants to confiscate them will have to take them away from a kid.  I'm not above playing on their emotions and I've prepared the kids for the potential confiscation and they are on board for trying to bring them on board.  And it's not like we are trying to avoid buying the soda package for the kids because we've already decided to purchase that for them which will be a mega treat for them since they only get to have soda a handful of times in a month.  I just know our kids enjoy having "kid" wine on the rare occasions when Mommy and Daddy are enjoying adult wine.

• 2 weeks later...

I kinda got an answer from Royal Caribbean earlier this week.  They responded to my question without actually answering the question I was asking.  They simply reiterated their 12 x 17 oz (500ml) limit for non-alcoholic drinks without specifically addressing my question of bringing on two slightly larger bottles.  I guess we'll see what happens when we show up on embarkation day.

Here's a copy of their response:

Thank you for contacting us. I am happy to assist you.

Guests are welcome to bring dry, nonperishable snack items, such as crackers, cookies, chips or energy bars. We do not generally allow guests to bring their own beverages onboard. However, guests may bring up to two (750 ml) bottles of wine or champagne, per stateroom.

Also, passengers may bring onboard a limited amount of non-alcoholic beverages. Non-alcoholic beverages brought onboard may not exceed 12 standard (17 Oz or 500 ml) cans, bottles or cartons, per stateroom.

Guests should include the above mentioned beverages as part of their carry-on luggage. Checked luggage containing beverage containers will be brought to the ship’s security office to be inspected while the guest is present. Bottles may be no larger than a standard 750 ml bottle, and must retain the original manufacturer’s seal.

18 hours ago, DaddyTheRunner said:

I kinda got an answer from Royal Caribbean earlier this week.  They responded to my question without actually answering the question I was asking.  They simply reiterated their 12 x 17 oz (500ml) limit for non-alcoholic drinks without specifically addressing my question of bringing on two slightly larger bottles.  I guess we'll see what happens when we show up on embarkation day.

Here's a copy of their response:

Looks like they answered it at the very bottom where it states that bottles may be no larger than 750mls... Would have been nice to have it answered personally with more details though, rather than cut & pasted generically. That said, hopefully they let the cider slip on through ?