Question for Diamonds about internet package

We are looking at getting the surf and stream internet for our 9 night cruise on Explorer in Feb 2020 for one device.  Since we get one free day or a discount on the internet package once onboard, is it better to wait to purchase on the ship or buy it precruise?  Current price is $15.99/day but I think it will get cheaper than that with better sales coming up.  We do not get the deluxe beverage because we don't drink that much alcohol so we can't bundle it with that.  Any other tricks to save money on the internet that I am not thinking of.  We want this so we can live blog it and upload videos/vlogs.  We have never purchased the internet, only used the 24 hours free for the Diamond level perks.    

It depends on whether you want it for the whole cruise or not.

If you are going to get it for the whole cruise then the 20-30% cruise planner sale should be equal to or better than your onboard Diamond discount ... if you only want it for a day or two then the free day or two onboard is the way to go IMO.

Disclaimer: Off the cuff remarks based on my experience on a couple of Mariner cruises this summer, not backed by actual math performed in a spreadsheet.

According to @twangster's absolutely amazing Voom comparison, for a 9-night cruise if the cruise planner price is $15.99 you are cheaper to wait and buy on board on day 2. This is assuming you have cell coverage that you can use prior to sailing and can do without being connected for the first few hours after sail-away.

From the moment the price hits $14.99 or less you are cheaper to buy pre-cruise. If you do this you should monitor the cruise planner daily for discounts. I re-priced mine down twice to get a final price of $11.99, so I think you can fairly safely assume that yours will go down at some point.

4 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

According to @twangster's absolutely amazing Voom comparison, for a 9-night cruise if the cruise planner price is $15.99 you are cheaper to wait and buy on board on day 2. This is assuming you have cell coverage that you can use prior to sailing and can do without being connected for the first few hours after sail-away.

From the moment the price hits $14.99 or less you are cheaper to buy pre-cruise. If you do this you should monitor the cruise planner daily for discounts. I re-priced mine down twice to get a final price of $11.99, so I think you can fairly safely assume that yours will go down at some point.

Awesome info!  I will keep watching the planner to try and find that elusive $11.99/day!  I will have to try and find that comparison!!!  If it does not go lower we can most definitely wait a few hours of no internet!  We have sailed entire cruises without it so whats a few hours ?

22 hours ago, MO & LO on the go! said:

We are looking at getting the surf and stream internet for our 9 night cruise on Explorer in Feb 2020 for one device.  Since we get one free day or a discount on the internet package once onboard, is it better to wait to purchase on the ship or buy it precruise?  Current price is $15.99/day but I think it will get cheaper than that with better sales coming up.  We do not get the deluxe beverage because we don't drink that much alcohol so we can't bundle it with that.  Any other tricks to save money on the internet that I am not thinking of.  We want this so we can live blog it and upload videos/vlogs.  We have never purchased the internet, only used the 24 hours free for the Diamond level perks.    

Of course you know it is for each Diamond member, so you probably have two 24-hour periods of use on the ship.  We managed to take a 7 day cruise without using any internet access at all--no need to print airline boarding passes or whatever.   I really hate giving Royal extra $$ unless I really, really want the service.  The cost analysis has already been addressed, so have a great trip.