Private functions - Parties - Public Areas

bretts173

I have a friend who has just returned from a cruise on Voyager. She said that one day the pool was closed for a private function on the pool deck. They were not using the pool thmselves, they just didnt want others to. 

This infuriates me in so many ways. I dont care how much people pay for suite privileges but this is diminishing the value of everyone elses holiday. This should not be an option.

Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

I have a friend who has just returned from a cruise on Voyager. She said that one day the pool was closed for a private function on the pool deck. They were not using the pool thmselves, they just didnt want others to. 

This infuriates me in so many ways. I dont care how much people pay for suite privileges but this is diminishing the value of everyone elses holiday. This should not be an option.

Thoughts?

I've never seen this as a suite privilege, was your sailing maybe partially chartered?

10 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Thoughts?

I have never encountered this, and it would bother me, too.   That said, particular areas are closed for events, especially Crown and Anchor Society, Diamond and above, etc.  Never seen the pool closed unless someone got sick and they flushed the water....

Last cruise had several areas closed for "private functions" for a charter group but they were limited to particular areas (Star Lounge and Studio B) and not the pool areas. Was a member of a charter cruise on NCL last year and they closed the "Adult" pool area for a private function but it was later in the evening (after dark) when the pool is not in usual use. All other private functions for that cruise were held on-shore at one of the stops.

Last August on Ovation half of the nights the Music Hall was closed because of a "Private Function" and they also closed the two70 a couple times... 

It wasn't a chartered or partial chartered cruise. I agree with you, it's infuriating, there are some venues that shouldn't be closed for private functions on a non chartered cruise. 

Have twice been on a cruise where a group of around 350 had the solarium (to include that pool) closed for about 4 hours mid-afternoon for a private function.

Wait I may have even been a member of that group, maybe a little inconvenient for other passengers, but believe me the group paid a good chuck for their use of that area.

Doesn't personally bother me but I can see how some guests could feel. 

Blocking off the Viking Crown Lounge every night, every day of the year for 4 hours to host the Diamond happy hour falls into that category too.  

When they recorded "Like Father" on Harmony something similar happened at times around the ship.  IIRC they closed the Suite Lounge on boarding day for a spell.