Empress being added to Royal App

T. Andy

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Hoping they have integrated the app with the billing system on Empress.  You can't look at your account on the cabin TV so having your account available in the app will be a huge step forward.  

I sure hope so. That was the only really annoying thing on the ship. I was a little hesitant since she is the oldest and smallest but I am already looking to book another cruise on her before she goes up north. We had a great time. 

Interesting to note that it's being rolled out on the same day as Quantum of the Seas gets out of Drydock so I can only assume that that is the day we see the new deck  plans for Quantum, and where they put new activities such as the escape room, never seen on a Quantum Class ship before.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:24 AM, brycemo said:

Interesting to note that it's being rolled out on the same day as Quantum of the Seas gets out of Drydock so I can only assume that that is the day we see the new deck  plans for Quantum, and where they put new activities such as the escape room, never seen on a Quantum Class ship before.

Anthem and Ovation both have escape rooms and Spectrum has laser tag so nothing is new to the Quantum class.

When will the "Chat feature" be added to the ap.?  I will be sailing on Serenade of the Seas Dec. 9th and was hoping to be able to communicate with my wife and others on board. On our last cruise on Brilliance in September, I was told that this feature should be available on ships that have the ap.  by the end of this year. Does anyone know?

On 11/16/2019 at 7:33 AM, Phillip Diamond Plus said:

When will the "Chat feature" be added to the ap.?  I will be sailing on Serenade of the Seas Dec. 9th and was hoping to be able to communicate with my wife and others on board. On our last cruise on Brilliance in September, I was told that this feature should be available on ships that have the ap.  by the end of this year. Does anyone know?

This has been my number one question about the app for ages and it’s still only on one ship (i believe it’s harmony but don’t quote me on that) and it’s a real shame because quantum class even used to have the feature during the days of the Royal IQ app, which has now been removed from the app store, but surely that means quantum already has the infrastructure and hardware needed to reimplement this feature? When you look at the progress of other lines in the field it definitely looks like Royal better start acting soon or they’ll fall behind. 

7 minutes ago, brycemo said:

This has been my number one question about the app for ages and it’s still only on one ship (i believe it’s harmony but don’t quote me on that) and it’s a real shame because quantum class even used to have the feature during the days of the Royal IQ app, which has now been removed from the app store, but surely that means quantum already has the infrastructure and hardware needed to reimplement this feature? When you look at the progress of other lines in the field it definitely looks like Royal better start acting soon or they’ll fall behind. 

Allure was the first beta, then Harmony.

It's a matter of getting notifications to work.  A chat app that doesn't tell you when you receive a chat is pretty useless - who wants to sit there with the app open waiting to see if you get a text?

To make notifications work they have to open up the firewall for Apple's notification platform to function but they can't be selective.  All notification start working and iMessage happens to use the same ports and protocols so iMessage works too.  With iMessage working to anyone around the world some people wouldn't buy Voom.  They can't have that so... they are desperately trying to figure out how to make iPhones do what they can't do.  The Apple ios sandboxes applications so when they aren't active they can't notify without using Apple's notifications platform.  

This is why the loophole existed on RoyalIQ enabled ships that allowed iMessage to work.  That's why they have one non-RoyalIQ ship and one RoyalIQ ship in the chat beta just to be able to try both versions and prove (or disprove) that various attempts to beat Apple work or not.

Honestly it's futile and they may never open chat fleet wide in the app unless Apple changes their ways in some future version.    

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Allure was the first beta, then Harmony.

It's a matter of getting notifications to work.  A chat app that doesn't tell you when you receive a chat is pretty useless - who wants to sit there with the app open waiting to see if you get a text?

To make notifications work they have to open up the firewall for Apple's notification platform to function but they can't be selective.  All notification start working and iMessage happens to use the same ports and protocols so iMessage works too.  With iMessage working to anyone around the world some people wouldn't buy Voom.  They can't have that so... they are desperately trying to figure out how to make iPhones do what they can't do.  The Apple ios sandboxes applications so when they aren't active they can't notify without using Apple's notifications platform.  

This is why the loophole existed on RoyalIQ enabled ships that allowed iMessage to work.  That's why they have one non-RoyalIQ ship and one RoyalIQ ship in the chat beta just to be able to try both versions and prove (or disprove) that various attempts to beat Apple work or not.

Honestly it's futile and they may never open chat fleet wide in the app unless Apple changes their ways in some future version.    

Wow!! Thank you so much. This is the first proper explanation of this I’ve ever seen, and trust me, I’ve done a lot of googling! Only time will tell, I guess. I do hope they can work this out soon. 

• 2 weeks later...