St Maarten Beach access

dejagatkins

First cruiser here going to St Maarten, is there beach access without having to sign up and pay and stand in line waiting for a tour? I've signed up for that in Bahamas and St Thomas. Can I stroll off the boat in St Maarten and find a beautiful beach on my own without having to go in a large group for a designated time etc? I'd like more freedom on St Maarten but don't want to miss a beach experience.

Maho (the airport) is still rebuilding from the storms last summer.  All of the sand was washed away leaving only the rock/boulders.  We were there last September/October and no sand.  Don't know how much has built up since then.

The public beach in Phillipsburg was large, clean, all the amenities you could want.  No trees but many waterfront bars/grills rent umbrellas/chairs/tables... $2 water taxi ride right from the pier or a 20 minute walk... your choice.

Maho (the airport) is still rebuilding from the storms last summer.  All of the sand was washed away leaving only the rock/boulders.  We were there last September/October and no sand.  Don't know how much has built up since then.

That is unfortunate. Great time wasting on YT watching the videos. must find some before / after photos.

post-3062-0-88038100-1457608412_thumb.jpg

The blue van on the right is traveling on the road at the end of the runway.  The whole beach to the west of the road is (was) gone, leaving only the rock protecting the road itself.  This was 9/30/15.  

Maho looks quite different from when I was there in april 2014.