Must Do's Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel (with 8 year olds).

jgoodm

Hi All, 

I will be on Labadee on my December cruise with twin 8 year olds and I am confused by the options available.  A lot of things I thought looked great, they will be too young for (like zip line).  I am trying to decide what I need to (or should) be pre-purchasing for the family to do?  Can anyone recommend the must dos.

Falmouth I am not that interested in but was thinking maybe one of the large group river tubing excursions or something similar.  We're a same sex couple and I am not all that comfortable taking the kids on excursions that aren't crowded with a lot of other guests.  I don't really want to ride around in individual taxis or in a small group.  (Lets not debate if I am being overly cautious please, its just how I feel about it).    That being said, there appears to be several excursions of this type and I can't really tell the difference.  Also interested in others anyone thinks are similarly situated safety-wise?

As for Cozumel, I was thinking either a dolphin excursion or one of the buggy or jeep rides, but also can't seem to tell the difference.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J.

2 hours ago, jgoodm said:

Hi All, 

I will be on Labadee on my December cruise with twin 8 year olds and I am confused by the options available.  A lot of things I thought looked great, they will be too young for (like zip line).  I am trying to decide what I need to (or should) be pre-purchasing for the family to do?  Can anyone recommend the must dos.

Falmouth I am not that interested in but was thinking maybe one of the large group river tubing excursions or something similar.  We're a same sex couple and I am not all that comfortable taking the kids on excursions that aren't crowded with a lot of other guests.  I don't really want to ride around in individual taxis or in a small group.  (Lets not debate if I am being overly cautious please, its just how I feel about it).    That being said, there appears to be several excursions of this type and I can't really tell the difference.  Also interested in others anyone thinks are similarly situated safety-wise?

As for Cozumel, I was thinking either a dolphin excursion or one of the buggy or jeep rides, but also can't seem to tell the difference.

Thanks,

J.

When our daughter was eight we took a great tour of the Cenotes in Playa Del Carmen. You take a ferry boat from the island over to the mainland and a tour bus out to the caves. Trekking through mostly untouched pristine waters really shows what we’ve done to screw up some lakes and rivers. And when you are deepest you get to turn off the headlamps and see what true darkness and quiet is like. 

17 hours ago, jgoodm said:

Hi All, 

Thanks,

J.

One adventurous activity in Jamaica is climbing Dunn's River falls.   Not sure how active you and your kids are, but at some age, it would be exciting for them.  You get soaked (wear old tennis and swimsuit) and climb up the rocks from the beach, but the guides assist.   Just a thought for the future.

In Mexico, the Mayan excursions or the Amazing Secret River (walk/swim through a cave system) are fun, but you must be able to handle the ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland.  Some folks get nauseous.  At Labadee my son at age 8 simply enjoyed the beach and the small water park.

Regarding dolphins, compare the various ports that offer the experience because the price fluctuates.  The price also varies with the depth of the interaction (meeting vs. swimming or being pushed).  We did the dolphins at Jamaica when my son was 16 and it was still a thrill.