Allure to Texas

45 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I think Allure suppose to be sailing the Med the summer of next year; which is a mute point, because the new Galveston port projected to be complete by this time 2021, I believe.

It sure is Allure in for Europe 2020. However interesting for a moment there was some Europe 2021 sailings briefly on the RCI website, which had Harmony of the Seas out of Barcelona for 2021, coincidentally it is also due for its 5 year drydock in that year. So I guess we’ll find out more this week. 

10 hours ago, Shanenz84 said:

It sure is Allure in for Europe 2020. However interesting for a moment there was some Europe 2021 sailings briefly on the RCI website, which had Harmony of the Seas out of Barcelona for 2021, coincidentally it is also due for its 5 year drydock in that year. So I guess we’ll find out more this week. 

Yes, I can confirm Harmony's drydock is April 2021. We had booked Harmony in APR 2021 early on, but Royal subsequently cancelled our sailing (and all APR 2021 sailings) for the 5-year drydock.

20 minutes ago, mpoole3 said:

Now we have to wonder, will they shape up Oasis / Harmony / Symphony?   Feel free to put one in Long Beach, CA?

Ideally...probably best, from a business & logistics POV, to move one Oasis Class ship to each of the three main Florida cruise hubs(MIA, FLL, Port Canaveral) & Galveston. A Quantum Class ship(pick one, likely Ovation) is probably best suited for the West Coast on a regular basis. Odyssey obviously is coming to the Caribbean...already been announced.

1 hour ago, mpoole3 said:

Now we have to wonder, will they shape up Oasis / Harmony / Symphony?   Feel free to put one in Long Beach, CA?

Long Beach CA? no. Port of Los Angeles most likely a new terminal will be built in the next couple of years, I would think a Q class would be a better fit for SoCal. The first and last sea day can be cold and foggy. 

Mariner of the seas Mexican Riviera 2010

IMG_0296.thumb.jpg.94a8e6ef3cea02a1489ebf6d9ac6766c.jpg

On 11/10/2019 at 1:29 PM, RoyalLaker said:

Long Beach CA? no. Port of Los Angeles most likely a new terminal will be built in the next couple of years, I would think a Q class would be a better fit for SoCal. The first and last sea day can be cold and foggy. 

Mariner of the seas Mexican Riviera 2010

IMG_0296.thumb.jpg.94a8e6ef3cea02a1489ebf6d9ac6766c.jpg

I don’t see a Quantum or Oasis class ship going to the West Coast when Royal hasn’t even had a ship there in a long time. If I were them I’d start with a Voyager class.

If they were to move a ship to the West Coast, I feel it would be year round meaning Ovation would not be the best fit. With Allure coming to Galveston in 2021, I believe Liberty would head to the west coast year round in light of her amplification being scheduled in 2021. As previously mentioned, Royal has not sailed that itinerary/market in such a long time, they are going to want to make as splash re-entry into the market...the only way Royal knows how.  After her final sailing from Galveston, she heads to Freeport for 3 to 4 weeks. Probably head to Miami first for a transitioning Panama Canal cruise before her west coast debut.

I am curious as to why Royal would be returning to California now. I have done that cruise many times in the past. People complain about limited itineraries and there is only basically one. When they stopped going, the reasons I heard were that Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan had gotten too dangerous. There were truly a lot of reported incidents at the time. Have things gotten better? I also heard that the state of California partially was the reason because they were so difficult to do business with as well as the longshoremen. I would like it as I could drive instead of flying but I was wondering if all these obstacles had been overcome.

21 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I am curious as to why Royal would be returning to California now. I have done that cruise many times in the past. People complain about limited itineraries and there is only basically one. When they stopped going, the reasons I heard were that Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan had gotten too dangerous. There were truly a lot of reported incidents at the time. Have things gotten better? I also heard that the state of California partially was the reason because they were so difficult to do business with as well as the longshoremen. I would like it as I could drive instead of flying but I was wondering if all these obstacles had been overcome.

Royal pulled out of the West Coast 10 years ago like many other cruise lines. The crime in Mazatlan was a large reason however, it has decreased significantly since. Yes the itineraries are limited however they are miss out on a large market of possible first time cruisers. My first cruise was 3 day Mexican Baja cruise on the Viking Serenade in 1997. I have been loyal to Royal (and Celebrity) ever since. Mexico is proven to be a successful market seeing how NCL (Norwegian Joy), Carnival(Carnival Panorama), and Princess(Royal Princess) all of their largest class ships sailing the West Coast.  

I hope you're right. The last time I cruised out of California was in 2011 on a brand new Carnival ship. I decided after that cruise that I would rather fly than go on Carnival again. That's just my opinion. It's good that there are different choices for different preferences. 

Just now, BB1 said:

I hope you're right. The last time I cruised out of California was in 2011 on a brand new Carnival ship. I decided after that cruise that I would rather fly than go on Carnival again. That's just my opinion. It's good that there are different choices for different preferences. 

Haha I just relocated to the west coast from Miami so I know exactly how you feel. I have my fingers crossed that Mexico will be announced in the Exotic Sailings deployment. 

Celebrity's next ship is being built to accommodate shore power connections to power the ship while it is in port.  That's not a simple change because of the nature of ship power systems that are closed systems and not the same as land power where the concept of earth or ground is fundamental. 

California is introducing that as a requirement.  I wonder how quickly all those old Carnival ships will be adapted.  When I used sail from Long Beach it was Miracle, Imagination and Inspiration.  Maybe that's why they are putting Panorama in CA.  

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

Celebrity's next ship is being built to accommodate shore power connections to power the ship while it is in port.  That's not a simple change because of the nature of ship power systems that are closed systems and not the same as land power where the concept of earth or ground is fundamental. 

California is introducing that as a requirement.  I wonder how quickly all those old Carnival ships will be adapted.  When I used sail from Long Beach it was Miracle, Imagination and Inspiration.  Maybe that's why they are putting Panorama in CA.  

I read somewhere that, depending on the age and construction of the ship, it can be anywhere from 80 to 120 million dollars to retrofit a ship to comply with CARB requirements. 

32 minutes ago, TJ! said:

I like how you dodged the question and request for your source of allure coming to Texas.

Going to disregard as bait click until otherwise

@mpoole3 is not really one to post click bait. He’s a long time member here. I’m thinking he just cannot reveal his source at the moment. We’ll all find out in a few days. ?

2 hours ago, TJ! said:

I like how you dodged the question and request for your source of allure coming to Texas.

Going to disregard as bait click until otherwise

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@mpoole3 is not really one to post click bait. He’s a long time member here. I’m thinking he just cannot reveal his source at the moment. We’ll all find out in a few days. ?

Agreed! His information tends to be factual. 

I am hoping that Mexican Rivera is in this years deployment!  

It is interesting to me to see if the new terminal in Galveston will be ready for Allure of the Seas when Liberty leaves in 2021 for it’s amplification. I guess Royal must have talked to the port officials and told them it has to be finished by then. I’m not sure if I’ve heard if they have started construction but maybe I missed it,

As far as Mexico goes, I think the only city I would absolutely refuse to not go to right now is Acapulco. It’s beautiful, but still the murder capital of Mexico. Drug cartels continue to fight there daily and a lot a Mexicans don’t even go there. I know Norwegian starting going again recently, I’m not convinced it’s a good idea. I’d probably stay on the boat.

The other cities are ok as long as you are careful. Staying in groups is the safest thing. If you are by yourself, don’t carry lots of money, or call a lot of attention to yourself.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:40 PM, Oliver said:

I don’t see a Quantum or Oasis class ship going to the West Coast when Royal hasn’t even had a ship there in a long time. If I were them I’d start with a Voyager class.

Cabo is a tender port so I don’t see a Oasis class ship in California. I could see a Q class Oct-April then reposition to Alaska May-Sept Vision did that back in the 2000’s Carnival will be bring a new ship here to LA in December with a capacity of 5000. 

Cabo struggles with the larger ships.  With the Bliss there they consume every available Cabo tender leaving none for other ships.  It's not so bad if you are on the Bliss but it ruins the day for any ship unfortunate to call on Cabo the same day.  I imagine the same will occur with Carnival's big ship.  Cabo really is a one ship kind of port.

2 minutes ago, DDaley said:

Oh no! I just checked and I am in port with Panorama... they wouldn't just leave you stranded on board, right? Are the Cabo tenders in addition to the ship's own? 

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 5.19.31 PM.png

The Bliss bought all the tenders last week.  Our ship had to use our own.  We had four running that took ~100 passengers each.   Princess is arriving last so it will probably be the farthest away.  It's tender ride will possibly be longest.   Carnival might not starve it's cousins of all the tenders.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:39 PM, BB1 said:

I can't wait to find out when. I don't think construction has started on the new port yet.

Local media in Galveston recently reported that construction would start in April 2020 with an 18 month construction schedule. That would put completion in fall of 2021, as originally announced. 

14 hours ago, twangster said:

The Bliss bought all the tenders last week.  Our ship had to use our own.  We had four running that took ~100 passengers each.   Princess is arriving last so it will probably be the farthest away.  It's tender ride will possibly be longest.   Carnival might not starve it's cousins of all the tenders.

Was the city itself busy? Was Sammy's place packed??

12 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

Local media in Galveston recently reported that construction would start in April 2020 with an 18 month construction schedule. That would put completion in fall of 2021, as originally announced. 

@Matt Don't leave us Texans stranded. Group Cruise!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Oliver said:

So much for the Allure coming to Texas 

I think it still is. You can't book Allure for anything later than October 2021 right now, which lines up with when the port is scheduled to be completed. If you check the other Oasis class ships they are available to book through April 2022. It seems like they are just waiting to announce it, perhaps in case something goes wrong and it is delayed or to make a bigger deal about revealing it.