Price Increase After Book - Breach of Contract?

jrey51

Hey all,

Bit of a frustrating situation with Royal Caribbean, hoping someone here can help and also looking to see if anyone else was affected. 

Details:
On November 1st, I booked a 7-night cruise for my wife and I. Nov. 21, 2020 Symphony of the Seas.
Total cost (with taxes + grats): $1254.08 CDN 
$530 deposit paid. 
Base fare was $299/person

Now, this seemed like a very good deal, and possibly a price mistake, but not completely unreasonable - there are some 6/7 night itineraries within the ballpark. So I booked, direct via RCL website. 
I didn't hear anything for about a week, until yesterday when I got an email with a new invoice. My new total cost: $3468 - almost triple what I booked! I got no explanation with it, just their generic "your invoice attached email".
I had to follow up with an agent I had been emailing + their call centre, where they explained there was a "glitch" when I first booked and the price was wrong, so they had repriced every booking on that sailing. Essentially, the website was wrong, so they re-booked me at the "proper" price without asking.

So I've been chatting primarily with their Twitter supper (also emailed the guest relations VP on the contact list from this site, but no reply) to try to get them to honour the original price. They said that they are "able to change the price at any time". However, I am not convinced this is true - isn't this a violation of my cruise contract?

Some details:

They cited section 16 of this: https://t.co/qEH6fiAgbn?amp=1 
We may revise the pricing for the products and services we offer. When you place your order, we may estimate the tax and include that estimate in the total for your convenience. The actual tax amount that will be applied to your order and charged to your payment method may differ from the estimate provided.

However, with the way this is worded, I don't think this applies to booked & confirmed cruises. This is no longer a product “offered”. This is a purchased product - the "offered" product and terms have been accepted and agreed upon. Our consumer agreement is now bound by the cruise ticket contract, found here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cruise-ticket-contract.pdf 

In this, I don't see anything allowing for price increases outside of fuel/other surcharges. This seems to be confirmed here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/price-change-information 

They can technically cancel a cruise for any reason, but that's not what they did - this increased the price, after I had locked into a consumer agreement/contract with them. This seems, at least to me, to be a breach of contract.

Any insight/feedback/help would be so appreciated. Really was looking forward to taking my wife on this, and I don't think we can afford the increase.

Attachments

7 hours ago, jrey51 said:
Hey all,

Bit of a frustrating situation with Royal Caribbean, hoping someone here can help and also looking to see if anyone else was affected. 

Details:
On November 1st, I booked a 7-night cruise for my wife and I. Nov. 21, 2020 Symphony of the Seas.
$530 deposit paid. 

Now, this seemed like a very good deal, and possibly a price mistake, but not completely unreasonable - there are some 6/7 night itineraries within the ballpark. So I booked, direct via RCL website. 
I didn't hear anything for about a week, until yesterday when I got an email with a new invoice. My new total cost: $3468 - almost triple what I booked! I got no explanation with it, just their generic "your invoice attached email".
I had to follow up with an agent I had been emailing + their call centre, where they explained there was a "glitch" when I first booked and the price was wrong, so they had repriced every booking on that sailing. Essentially, the website was wrong, so they re-booked me at the "proper" price without asking.

So I've been chatting primarily with their Twitter supper (also emailed the guest relations VP on the contact list from this site, but no reply) to try to get them to honour the original price. They said that they are "able to change the price at any time". However, I am not convinced this is true - isn't this a violation of my cruise contract?

Some details:

We may revise the pricing for the products and services we offer. When you place your order, we may estimate the tax and include that estimate in the total for your convenience. The actual tax amount that will be applied to your order and charged to your payment method may differ from the estimate provided.

However, with the way this is worded, I don't think this applies to booked & confirmed cruises. This is no longer a product “offered”. This is a purchased product - the "offered" product and terms have been accepted and agreed upon. Our consumer agreement is now bound by the cruise ticket contract, found here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/cruise-ticket-contract.pdf 

In this, I don't see anything allowing for price increases outside of fuel/other surcharges. This seems to be confirmed here: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/price-change-information 

They can technically cancel a cruise for any reason, but that's not what they did - this increased the price, after I had locked into a consumer agreement/contract with them. This seems, at least to me, to be a breach of contract.

Any insight/feedback/help would be so appreciated. Really was looking forward to taking my wife on this, and I don't think we can afford the increase.

Attachments

I've never seen $299 per person for 7 nights in the US, just the promotions for 3 or 4 nights.  Thus, there may have been a pricing error in the beginning, as their call center seems to have indicated.  That said, I'd think your confirmed booking should have  locked in the price -- Royal should honor the price even if they erred.  I've never had this problem before, but I hope it works out for you.  They are kind of killing online booking if we can't believe the quoted prices....

8 hours ago, jrey51 said:
Hey all,

Details:
$530 deposit paid. 

Some details:

Attachments

Also, I know your frustrated because you thought you had a great deal.. BUT on some level you should of known this deal was too good to be true.. That week that you picked is thanksgiving in the US.. I realize your not from America so maybe you didn't realize but holidays always cost a premium so there is no way they would only charge you what they first quoted.. I know that doesn't make you feel better and your still frustrated but I am not sure what else to say. 

Try contacting Consumer protection in the province where you reside, like:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/booking-trip-your-rights

You booked online directly, so if I’m not mistaken, you may have some limited recourse this way.
If you had booked online, say through CAA, then TICO and a CAA agent could have been involved to help you fight (ON).

I usually book direct, unless I fear problems down the line (like whenever I have no choice but to go United). When I think I may need help down the line, I book online through the CAA. Darn if that really has not come in handy for me in the past...

By the way, the bigger the travel agent’s network is, the better their ability and clout to have problems dealt with.

Good luck.

21 minutes ago, jrey51 said:

Thanks all - definitely regretting not using a TA. Will keep you all updated - pretty frustrated for sure 

Do not give up , there was the ultimate drinking package few month ago that at the end they houner . Maybe you will not get back your original price but some discount and on board credited , after all it's was their glitch

12 hours ago, jrey51 said:
Hey all,

Details:
$530 deposit paid. 

Some details:

Attachments

I suggest you take it to social media.  I think you should complain on Twitter and Royal's Facebook page.  If it was a computer glitch than you are not the only one it affected.  If you can find others and you all complain on social media you may get them to honor it.  It worked for the Deluxe Drink package glitch in July.  People bought the drink package for $18 knowing it was a mistake and when Royal said they would have to cancel it and rebook people took to social media and complained. Royal caved and now people have the deal of a life time. 

BTW, according to the clause you quoted Royal was supposed to cancel your booking.   If they won't honor the original price then you should at the very least get your entire deposit back without penalty based on the clause they are using to change the price because you didn't approve the booking.  Good luck.  

Had this happen with an airline online. When they "re-priced" the fare I pointed out the flaw in the online system. They put me through their customer service supervisor who thanked me for pointing out the fault and honored the original price I booked plus an addition discount. Hope this can happen for you. Not saying you will get an additional discount but dissatisfied customers can go a long way in reducing future customers in today's social media world.