Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) pre cruise dining and hotel recommendations please

Jedi Jason

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I was definitely interested in the hotel suggestions and area indicated but the price was not favorable.  We have enjoyed Embassy Suites at other locations as several suggested.  I  believe it is high season and we are there on Friday, January 3.  So some people may still be there on Christmas break.  Therefore, the prices are higher than normal.  We ended up booking the Marriott North Fort Lauderdale which is within 10 miles of the port/airport.  It is a four star property per Priceline and has free parking and internet and doesn't charge a resort fee.  We got it for about $150.including taxes nonrefundable rate via Marriott website for being a rewards member. 

Still deciding on the restaurant recommendations but I am leaning towards La Bamba! My wife already vetoed the waffle house so still looking for a breakfast place the morning (Saturday) of the cruise.

6 minutes ago, Jedi Jason said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I was definitely interested in the hotel suggestions and area indicated but the price was not favorable.  We have enjoyed Embassy Suites at other locations as several suggested.  I  believe it is high season and we are there on Friday, January 3.  So some people may still be there on Christmas break.  Therefore, the prices are higher than normal.  We ended up booking the Marriott North Fort Lauderdale which is within 10 miles of the port/airport.  It is a four star property per Priceline and has free parking and internet and doesn't charge a resort fee.  We got it for about $150.including taxes nonrefundable rate via Marriott website for being a rewards member. 

Still deciding on the restaurant recommendations but I am leaning towards La Bamba! My wife already vetoed the waffle house so still looking for a breakfast place the morning (Saturday) of the cruise.

Here’s some Breakfast spots to try before you go to the port. I personally don’t recommend the Waffle house but to each his own.

Top Hat Deli (Newer trendy spot downtown)

Lesters Diner (local diner been here forever)

Joes Diner (next door to La Bamba in the Harbor Shoppes)

Don’t have a recommendation for where to stay, don’t stay at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel. We did and my usb battery pack grew legs. Management was no help either.

We tried La Bamba it was really good especially the crab nachos!!!  https://labamba123.com/locations/
If you want pizza try Manhattan NY pizza get it by the slice or whole pie. http://manhattanrestaurantpizza.com/

49 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Don’t have a recommendation for where to stay, don’t stay at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel. We did and my usb battery pack grew legs. Management was no help either.

We tried La Bamba it was really good especially the crab nachos!!!  https://labamba123.com/locations/
If you want pizza try Manhattan NY pizza get it by the slice or whole pie. http://manhattanrestaurantpizza.com/

I just drove by the Manhattan Pizza place. I’ve only had bad experiences here. Franco & Vinny’s Pizza Shack is way better. 

FDAF7FA2-CE54-4E5F-879B-84B72C0DB118.jpeg

On a related note ( South Florida residents will get a laugh out of this):

When I sail out of Lauderdale and I am waiting to check-in I purposefully stall just so I get a really young agent so I can do the following when I get the health questionnaire:

ME: <fully reads, signs, and hands over completed questionnaire>

AGENT: Good! Are you feeling OK today? Haven't been sick in the last three days? No cold, flu......

ME: <puzzled look> Well... ahhhh....yeah....I gotta tell 'ya....

AGENT: <immediately stop what they are doing because this is defiantly not normal, shows great concern>

ME: ....I had a few beers at The Elbo Room in Las Olas last night......and immmm.....And, I feel totally fine and everything......But I can not guarantee you what might be on the bottom of my flip flops......Ya' know what kind off place it is and all.... <pulls off flip flop> Here look! these pathogens are trying to fist fight the STDs but they can't get around the broken glass!

AGENT: <smiles>  I get enough stupid Dad jokes at home. Here. Have a nice cruise.

Me: <takes big whiff like it's a mimeographed copy from 50 years ago> Ahhh, the smell of new Seapass

And up the escalator I go.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Jedi Jason said:

@Lovetocruise2002  I was looking over  La Bamba's menu and I came across the Mexican pizza.  That clinched it for my wife who loves a Mexican pizza.  She even eats the one from Taco Bell ? I will have to try the fried ice cream based on your recommendation and for research purposes ?

LOL! Hubby also loves the Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell but he has never tried the one at La Bamba.  The fajitas always win him over.  The fried ice cream is a must.