Hawaii ports - need advice

Eric Chao

hi friends

we will be sailing to hawaii next year, our ship will port at KAILUA KONA for 1 day (7 am to 6 pm)

then LAHAINA (MAUI) for 2 days (7 am to 6 pm)

may i ask for your advise on what to do for each port?  Given that we have 2 small boys (ages 5 and 3) and we don't have any car seats with us... 

So we cannot do any of the ff:

1. hiking - the boys not used to it, and we cant carry them on a hike
2. helicopter - the company won't accept children below 5
3. snorkeling - we already have snorkeling plans after the cruise..
4. beaches (because we already have plans to stay at beach resort in honolulu after we disembark so no need to do beaches while on port)

keeping in mind that these ports are TENDER PORTS and we dont have the KEY, nor do we have any priority boarding or tendering

please do enlighten me

much thanks in advance

eric

First of all, why no car seats??

In Kailua-Kona, there’s an open-sided tram that travels all along Ali’i Drive - the kids will definitely enjoy that ride. Towards the end, there’s a very small beach area that would be safe for the young ones at Kahulu’u Beach park. At the very end of the tram ride is a shopping center (Keauhou) that has a great shave ice shop next to the grocery store - again a big hit with the kids. That shopping center also has a great little bookshop (Kona Stories) with a good selection of kids books and two resident cats. There’s also a very good Long’s drugstore, with a good selection of affordable souvenirs and things that you may want to bring back on the ship.

I can’t think of anything else that can be done without a car...

The downtown area near the pier has quite a few transients that hang around and can be insistent with their panhandling... not the most pleasant for the kiddies.

thank you Grandma!!

you see, we are from the Philippines and it would be super difficult for us to have to lug around 2 car seats!  plus we have to fly to vancouver (15 hour flight) just to board the ship, and we already have 2 luggages plus 1 stroller.  With only my 2 hands, i cant see how i can carry car seats with me...  In Vancouver, we plan to just take public transport like bus and monorail and taxi which don't require car seats.  So, in HAWAII we can actually take TAXI as well.  We would love to follow your suggestions so i will research on that too.  But if anyone has more ideas please do share.  

In Maui we will have 2 days and they are both open still

sincere thanks

eric 

In Maui, I always sail on a Trilogy tour to Lanai. Fun catamaran ride for your boys, plus the benefit of seeing an additional Hawaiian island on your trip. Once the catamaran arrives in Lanai at a private marine park, you are switched to a bus for a historical tour through the main town and pineapple fields BUT you'd also have the option of just staying at the boat launch as there is a beach/park/picnic area there that the bus returns to for lunch before the sail back to Maui. They offer snorkeling, beach volleyball, etc at the beach park. The lunch was fantastic, too!