Connecting staterooms getting way more expensive

JasonL

I am really disturbed by the upcharge on connecting staterooms on the new 2021 sailings. I think this is a new charge as I've never seen it before. On the Ovation sailing I'm looking at it is $850/per person more for a connecting INSIDE stateroom than a regular Inside room. Outrageous, shame on you Royal. Guess I'll just book 2 rooms next to each other, the joining door isn't worth $1700 

Check to see how many persons each room can sleep.  I have noticed if your room is a 3 or 4 person room there is an up charge for that room if you only book two persons.  So if the rooms as connecting and each can sleep up to 4 persons you may see an up charge.  Price each room separably with two and then 4 persons.

Or RCI has figured out what many of us figured out years ago.  Booking connecting rooms is like a two room suite at a fraction of the cost of a two room suite.

I noticed this as well when looking at the Alaska itineraries for 2021 last night ... i think they have figured out a new way to fleece people. Oh you want two rooms with an adjoining door ... upcharge ?

It was clearly coming up as a whole separate category of room with a higher price, regardless of occupancy levels.

I would guess they are experimenting with the higher cost on connecting rooms.  They may want to reduce demand so they are more available for those that really need/want them.  Unfortunately, the only way to do that is raise the price.  I'd say vote with your wallet, if the rooms don't sell well, they'll adjust.  At least they made it easier to find these rooms.

2 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I noticed this as well when looking at the Alaska itineraries for 2021 last night ... i think they have figured out a new way to fleece people. Oh you want two rooms with an adjoining door ... upcharge ?

It was clearly coming up as a whole separate category of room with a higher price, regardless of occupancy levels.

You can still book two adjoining rooms without selecting the connecting rooms option and going by the deck plans and choosing two rooms next to each other with the bi-directional arrow.  No price increase because of that when I did it that way.