How do you keep your Passport from getting lost ?

Peter2

The same way I don't leave my kids locked in a baby seat in a hot car for 6 hours.....by paying attention ?

I keep all the ids in the same spot in the back back, I unzip it, hand them Id and boarding passes....they hand it back...I put it back and zip it up.  Back pack zipper stays open and I hold it in my hand until I have replaced it all...then zip...and back onto the back.

I have plastic zip up file folder I got at Office Depot that I keep our travel documents and identification all together. After check in, everything goes back into the folder, zipped up, into the backpack or tote until we get to the room, then it's transferred to the safe until departure morning. 

I use a family passport wallet (bonus its RFID blocking) to keep all of my family passports. You can find all sorts of choices on Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/Travel-Passport-Blocking-Document-Organizer/dp/B079HMNF64/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Travel+Wallet+%26+Family+Passport+Holder+w%2FRFID+Blocking-+Document+Organizer+Case&qid=1572976982&sr=8-1). Once onboard it goes in the safe. I also have digital copies accessible via cloud account incase we loose anything.

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

The same way I don't leave my kids locked in a baby seat in a hot car for 6 hours.....by paying attention ?

This!

Not sure why passports aren't in same category as wallet, credit cards, cash or children in terms of their "vulnerability" to be stolen. No different.

To answer @Peter2 question more directly, after I get into the room on day one, I put my keys, wallet and passport in the safe. I take the passports with me on excursions, like I do with cash.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

This!

Not sure why passports aren't in same category as wallet, credit cards, cash or children in terms of their "vulnerability" to be stolen. No different.

To answer @Peter2 question more directly, after I get into the room on day one, I put my keys, wallet and passport in the safe. I take the passports with me on excursions, like I do with cash.

Exactly!!...Why is this even a question??!!

How do you function in your day to day  life?...sorry bad day at the clinic.

I have a big plastic envelope with cruise paperwork that I keep everything cruise related in.  I have the cancelled paperwork stapled together, the parking pass, the paid papers from the TA in it and then add the passports when we are ready to go.  It goes in my zippered bag that is my carryone.  I am considering a RFID wallet I saw on Amazon this time for when we go onshore.

I keep my passport in the same interior section of my laptop bag every cruise.  It transfers to my left pocket for check in.  Tip money for porters always in my right pocket.

By standardizing and keeping to that standard I avoid being my own worst enemy.  Nothing worse that stuffing it somewhere after check in, having a few drinks on board then panicking when I can't find it once my cabin is ready.  Takes 10 seconds longer to put things back in their designated place after check in.  

We have passport wallets which hold a little cash and some cards. We keep everything secure and together in either my backpack or pocket. Everything gets put away properly before walking away from being checked in. As @Matt mentioned, once safe is available it gets locked away. 

On boarding day I have my passport wallet, usually holding my wife's passport wallet (no place for her to keep it), a wallet full of cards that might be needed (backup credit cards, debit cards, insurance cards, etc), and my everyday wallet (which is probably empty due to its contents being in the passport wallet but bring it just in case I want to use it) and never had an issue. 

As others have said, just be diligent and careful of your surroundings. If you're concerned get a tile for it so you can hopefully find it if lost.

18 hours ago, Peter2 said:

Like when you getting checked in.

As has been mentioned, I use an RFID-protected passport holder that I can wear around my neck, same as when I'm in an airport and want boarding passes handy.  When I don't want it visible, I can stick it in my sports-coat inner pocket.  My wife has a purse that has a metal-reinforced strap and she holds it securely against her stomach.  So once the passport is displayed, it goes back in an inner-purse pocket.  On the ship or in a hotel, everything goes into the provided safe.

We never put valuables in a back-pack but I am told there is a trick to clip the zippers with safety pins....