Caribbean Weather in Dec/Winter

Sharla215

Hey all! 

Would love to hear from my seasoned Caribbean cruisers. I travel to Puerto Rican often but not much in the winter (usually spring/summer)

Will be on a southern carib cruise for christmas. How’s the weather? Is it warm enough to spend time on the beach? Will it be cold at night while the ship is sailing? Does the time of year you cruise dictate what types of excursions you take? 

I guess your answer might be dependant on where you live. I’m from the Northeast so anything above 70° is nice to me anyway lol. 

I've been on some January sailings and it can be warm enough to spend time at the beach, especially if you're from the north and used to it being a bit colder.  Doesn't affect what excursions I will plan other than it tends to be easier to just jump right into the water when it's a bit cooler than easing yourself in.  You acclimate pretty quickly once you are all the way in the water.

I will say that it can get chilly once the sun goes down on the open decks of the ship, so definitely bring a light jacket.  It's very windy up there which contributes to the cooler feeling.  I also find it can be chilly inside the ship where they run the A/C all the time.  (I say this from my office in Florida where it is currently colder inside than outside and I am wishing for a space heater.)

We went to the Southern Caribbean last January. While it was the COLDEST week of the year back home (Michigan, sub zero temps), the weather from San Juan, PR to Barbados and back was PERFECT!

Sunny and in the 80's (or more) all week long! Beach time and snorkeling excursions were more than comfortable.

Cooler but comfortable outside in the evenings to go out on the decks to stargaze and enjoy the sound of the waves.

We're going southern Caribbean again this January!