The Number One Item Lost on a Ship is...

twangster

Cell phones.

My travel agency, while waiting on hold to reprice a cruise offered this piece of advice.  

Change your screen saver or lock screen image to be your SetSail Pass or something the cruise line can use to identify you.  That super cool wallpaper that comes with your phone looks great but with a device locked no one from the ship can figure out who owns the most recent lost cell phone.

By using an image on your lock screen that the cruise line can reference if you lose your phone on board you stand a much better chance of getting it returned.   

Makes sense.

When you get home put it back to that super cool default lock screen image but while on board consider something that works to help you getting repatriated with your lost device.  

7 hours ago, TempoGL said:

People think the default lock screen is "super cool?" ?

The number one most frequently lost item has got to be phone chargers

It can be! My sister-in-law has a really cool lock screen.  It's her oldest son at college, waving and saying "hi" to her, when she holds down the screen.  Once she unlocks it, it goes to a picture of her daughter, but the lock screen is super cool.

9 hours ago, twangster said:

Cell phones.

My travel agency, while waiting on hold to reprice a cruise offered this piece of advice.  

Change your screen saver or lock screen image to be your SetSail Pass or something the cruise line can use to identify you.  That super cool wallpaper that comes with your phone looks great but with a device locked no one from the ship can figure out who owns the most recent lost cell phone.

By using an image on your lock screen that the cruise line can reference if you lose your phone on board you stand a much better chance of getting it returned.   

Makes sense.

When you get home put it back to that super cool default lock screen image but while on board consider something that works to help you getting repatriated with your lost device.  

Great tip, thanks.

Great advice. On last cruise in October there was a couple from Wyoming that left their cell phone on the chair in the lounge during disembarkation. He looked at it and set is on the seat beside him and then they got up and left. Fortunately we saw it within a minute and the staff ran and caught them before they got to customs. The sea pass on the screen would have made their job easier.

Most sailing, if I remember, I'll set a message on my lock screen...

1812040350_Screenshot_20191105-101417_OneUIHome-1008x2128.thumb.jpg.6528a015bde1caa7fd9f65c9312d9e82.jpg

Another thought would be to provide a number to call in the Emergency Contact/Number section. One thing I did notice was if my phone was in Airplane mode it wouldn't let me out of airplane mode with authentication. This would prevent any contacts from being called. Work around could be providing a number as a name of a contact.

20191105_102248.thumb.jpg.c46a00088b53eee6f89624804074d417.jpg

Note: Examples given were with a Samsung Galaxy S10. Abilities may vary based on device.

2 hours ago, MikeSD said:

Regarding using your set sail pass as your lock screen . . . . is the bar code on the set sail pass different from the bar code on your sea pass? Would hate to have my lost phone paying for everyone's drinks ?

Your photo pops up when your card is scanned, so that should be a double check.  If something shows up on your account that you didn't pay for it is really easy to have it removed at Guest Services.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Your photo pops up when your card is scanned, so that should be a double check.  If something shows up on your account that you didn't pay for it is really easy to have it removed at Guest Services.

But . . . . . does anyone know if the barcodes on the Set Sail and Sea Pass are the same?

1 hour ago, MikeSD said:

But . . . . . does anyone know if the barcodes on the Set Sail and Sea Pass are the same?

Only use of the barcode is for getting on and off the ship. SetSail when embarking and the SeaPass one when in port (for ships that don't use the RFID cards). For purchases the mag strip or RFID is used.