Attire for regular & formal night dining on European cruises .....

ChrisK2793

In a thread on cruise critic, people were saying that unlike on Caribbean cruises with RC, people on European RC cruises still almost all wear tuxedos and gowns for formal nights and get very dressed up for every other dinner.  

Is this correct?  Not to sound like a slouch, but if this is true, it totally turns me off to booking a European cruise for summer of 2021 ..... we just don’t like to get super dressed up on vacations.

We were on Independence sailing from Southampton. There were more tuxedos than you would see in Australia and New Zealand but there were also still plenty of people dressed smart casual. I say just do what makes you feel comfortable. By the 3 formal night a lot less people were tuxed up.

Ugh I didn't think about differences in night wear.  We have one next May, taking our oldest for his college graduation.  It's very port-intensive, six port days then one sea day.  We're going to be exhausted from all the touring each day.  I don't want to come back on the ship and feel like I need to get dressed up.  Plus, I'd need to make sure my college-aged boys have enough dressy clothes.  I have a feeling we'll end up in the Windjammer most nights...

I can't compare to doing a Caribbean cruise as I haven't done one yet, but I've done 2 RC European cruises and there was a real mix of dress on formal nights. I personally like to get glammed up in a full length gown and there were men in tuxedos. But there were also women in shorter dresses or trousers and tops and men just in shirt and trousers. 

My husband's outfit of choice is trousers, short-sleeved shirt and waistcoat. No tie or jacket. 

On our last Europen cruise (7-night Greek) on Jewel a fwe weeks ago, there was no formalt nights anymore. 2 times there was "Wear your best" and other were just casual. It was really dissapointing for us. First time I could not get WOW out of myself. If you say "Smart casual", people wear casual. If it's just "Casual", people wear flip-flops and T-shirts.

On 11/4/2019 at 10:43 PM, ChrisK2793 said:

In a thread on cruise critic, people were saying that unlike on Caribbean cruises with RC, people on European RC cruises still almost all wear tuxedos and gowns for formal nights and get very dressed up for every other dinner.  

Is this correct?  Not to sound like a slouch, but if this is true, it totally turns me off to booking a European cruise for summer of 2021 ..... we just don’t like to get super dressed up on vacations.

Men aren't expected to wear a tux, and I would choose a cruise based on the itinerary, not the attire.  But when I travel, I try not to act like a typical tourist.  I do consider the culture/country I am visiting, which actually might have more to do with customs other than attire.  I like Rick Steve's approach to blending in when I can.....