RCCL not visiting Glacier Bay in 2020

I'm not so sure this is a matter of they don't care, but the playing field doesn't appear level with "historical operators" getting the lion share of available slots including those available to all operators.

Why should Royal or any non-historical operator pay for something they can't use? Pay millions and get 3% of the time slots?  No thanks.

Is it rare for a government agency to favor specific commercial businesses?  It's probably occurred before.  Heck with lobbyists it probably occurs more than any of us know.  But I can see why Royal wouldn't want to embrace this approach.

Personally I think the Celebrity plan of visiting Hubbard from Vancouver roundtrip is a better strategy.  Hubbard is way better than Glacier Bay.   Royal visits Hubbard on it's North-South routes.

9 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm not so sure this is a matter of they don't care, but the playing field doesn't appear level with "historical operators" getting the lion share of available slots including those available to all operators.

Why should Royal or any non-historical operator pay for something they can't use? Pay millions and get 3% of the time slots?  No thanks.

Is it rare for a government agency to favor specific commercial businesses?  It's probably occurred before.  Heck with lobbyists it probably occurs more than any of us know.  But I can see why Royal wouldn't want to embrace this approach.

Personally I think the Celebrity plan of visiting Hubbard from Vancouver roundtrip is a better strategy.  Hubbard is way better than Glacier Bay.   Royal visits Hubbard on it's North-South routes.

I have not been to Glacier Bay myself but most people I have talked to that have done Alaska say it is not to be missed. But unfortunately it is also true that as time has gone by it is not as impressive as it used to be. My own parents did Glacier bay back in the 1990s and then again about three years ago and said there was a huge difference in the size of the Glaciers and that while impressive, it seems to be getting significantly smaller due to global warming. Sad.