Going on my first solo cruise next year and was wondering if there's anything specific I need to know about solo cruising?

so excited but nervous. Will be on Anthem of the Seas November 29, 2020 to December 7, 2020. Going to the Bahamas. Leaving from New Jersey, I live in New York so I won't have to fly to port, I'll be taking a cab to and from port. 

Any advice will be appreciated.

I did a solo 5 day Bermuda cruise on Anthem in September.  It was my second solo cruise from Cape Liberty (I live in PA so only a little over an hour drive) and I loved it.  I had a balcony cabin on deck 11 and it was all mine.  When I got on board (around 11) I went to 270 for lunch then made my way to the solarium to sit back and relax with a drink until the cabins were ready. I really enjoy the solarium just to relax with a book.  The Solarium bar staff took very good care of me.  I signed up for IFly and loved it!  If you do IFly bring your phone & ask some to take your picture or video (that's the only thing I didn't do).   I also did Northstar and the bumper cars.  I would have tried the trapeze but the ladder to to platform looked scary.  I did my time dining in the MDR and had my own table which was my choice.  The tables are so close together that I was able to meet and talk to other people if I wanted to.  I also bring my e-reader.  I got along really well with the wait staff on the 1st night so I requested their section for the rest of the cruise.  I went to all the shows and hung out at the Music Hall & the Pub.  The best part about cruising solo is that you can do whatever you want whenever you want to.  It is fine to feel excited & nervous.  I still do until I stepped on board the ship then I just relaxed.  I have 2 cruises in 2020 that I'm doing solo 7 day Empress of the Seas to Bermuda out of Cape Liberty in May & 7 day Rhapsody of the seas to the Greek islands out of Venice in August.

You will have a wonderful time!

Several solo cruises completed including 3 on Anthem:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5068-anthem-112517-712-b2b/&do=findComment&comment=49894

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5387-anthem-11918-9-night-bahamas/

I’m going back on Anthem solo in January.  

As far as anything to know?   Enjoy doing what ever you when ever you want.  Finding a seat for one is often easy.  

A solo cruise is a great way to vacation alone since everyone on a cruise is happy.  

1 hour ago, MaryS said:

The best part about cruising solo is that you can do whatever you want whenever you want to.

+1 for this. 

I have done several solo cruises, that I find so relaxing because I am not always trying to accommodate what the group wants to do. On solo cruises I prefer to have a set dining time  because you will get to sit with the same people everyday and get to know them and have an opportunity to talk to about how you are enjoying the cruise. I have had dinner mates that I still talk to, and they are friendships that I would never have had without sitting with them at dinner. 

I would also say to not be afraid to talk to people while you are out and about the ship. You can always start a conversation with the person standing next to you at the bar or lounging next to you by the pool.

3 minutes ago, FManke said:

I don't get what's so appealing about travelling solo? I just don't thinks it's for me.

Nothing wrong with that.  To each their own.  

I traveled for business a fair bit which is pretty much solo traveling.  I became used to eating alone, having a hotel room to myself, being comfortable entertaining myself or just being alone with my thoughts.  However I can see how this could be strange for some people.  

@ellcee Cool tip, thanks. This will be my first vacation alone so imma need the internet package for sure to keep in contact with my parents even though I'm 30 plus years old...plus I love to post on Instagram.

i just came back from an ncl cruise with my parents (my parents like princess cruises and ncl) so I tagged along, was alone for most the cruise but dinner every night we meet for dinner and it was nice to know they were there if I needed them. Traveling alone for the first time is going to be a big deal for me. Any way my Instagram is vincenza.divincenzo     There are some posts of the ncl cruise I was just on. But honestly since my cruise last year with my then boyfriend on adventure of the seas I decided loyal to royal

Gosh, solo cruising sounds AMAZING. As a college student I backpacked around Europe multiple time all by myself - and loved it! I met so many people and tried so many things and did it all by my schedule and my preferences. As an actual adult with a family, that isn't in the cards anymore, but I could see the husband endorsing a short 3-4-nighter cruise for me to get some "me time". Of course, he loves to cruise, too - so he would probably more likely want to tag a long. Some day though!