Boston Hotel Recommendations Please.

12thman

10 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Looking for hotel recommendations for Boston for October 2020. We'll want to stay several days so something nice, also must have a in room safe. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

I'm interested in this one, too.  Won't be staying several days but will be staying at least the night before the GC.

47 minutes ago, 12thman said:

@WAAAYTOOOare you going on the group cruise? If so do you think a suite is worth it? There's on a 2 bedroom and Royal left. Couldn't see spending that much for that class of ship.

Yes, we are on the GC out of Boston and very excited.  Dan has been after me to book a NE/CAN cruise for years and I kept shoving it to the back of the list....but this time, we're going to do it !!

Yes, we are in an Owner's Suite and you are right, it is pricey...but we are so completely and utterly spoiled that on a 7 night cruise I really need my suite !  It's funny b/c for MONTHS there were 2 OS left and then suddenly...poof...one day they were both gone at the same time.  There are only 2 situations where I would not spend the money for a full suite....that is on a Vision class ship (I HATE the location of the full suites. They are waaay out of the way from where I want to be most of the time and they are noisy) and on a very short cruise (3 or 4 nights), where I think the suites are waaay overpriced on a per-night basis - particularly on NAV.

If Matt and Annette book a group hotel, we will stay there if it is a Marriott property.  Otherwise, we will find a close Marriott property and stay with points.  I still have a brazillion points I need to use with Marriott.

Just now, 12thman said:

There's not much in way of what an Oasis class ship offers suite guest so I wasn't sure it would be worth the price jump?

I can't really fault your logic here.  Without a Suites Lounge, no Suites restaurant and no complimentary internet to go along with the full suite, I can't argue that the value for a full suite isn't as evident as it is on an O or Q class ship.  We just like the extra room and the convenient location but those suites are just going to keep going up in price as the sail date approaches.  Maybe there will be a RoyalUp !!

While I wasn't there for a cruise, I've stayed at the Element in Boston on D Street and really enjoyed it.  It had to be less than a mile from the terminal.  They definitely had a safe in the closet, so it sounds like it'll check all of your boxes @12thman.  I also believe it is in the Marriott family (it's Element by Westin), so that should make @WAAAYTOOO happy, too!  ?

8 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

While I wasn't there for a cruise, I've stayed at the Element in Boston on D Street and really enjoyed it.  It had to be less than a mile from the terminal.  They definitely had a safe in the closet, so it sounds like it'll check all of your boxes @12thman.  I also believe it is in the Marriott family (it's Element by Westin), so that should make @WAAAYTOOO happy, too!  ?

Thanks! I'll check that out as well. 

I love The Langham Boston but usually stay at the Hilton Faneuil Hall because I am an ultra loyal Hilton Honors member. Love that free water on check in! 

I have also stayed a few times at The Verb and really enjoyed the rooms/50's kitsch but that's for Red Sox games and is out of the way. The other two are much closer to the cruise port. ?

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

...and I thought we might have been friends....

??

NOoooo!! Did Hilton do you wrong or is your Marriott preference just by chance of having stayed there the most? I stumbled into Silver level membership a few years back by "accidentally" booking the Hilton Anaheim too many times to more-easily do Disney and have stayed loyal just because I skyrocketed to the top! haha 

But but we can still be friends because I, too, am a suite gal through and through. Living for the day I will get above JS status. ?

Just now, DDaley said:

NOoooo!! Did Hilton do you wrong or is your Marriott preference just by chance of having stayed there the most? I stumbled into Silver level membership a few years back by "accidentally" booking the Hilton Anaheim too many times to more-easily do Disney and have stayed loyal just because I skyrocketed to the top! haha 

But but we can still be friends because I, too, am a suite gal through and through. Living for the day I will get above JS status. ?

LOL.  Kidding, of course.

My story is pretty much the same as yours.  No particular reason other than I managed to attain a pretty high status from all of my biz travel.  I just keep that ball rollin' !!

...and as Lovetocruise2002 will tell you, DON'T DO IT ! (go above JS).  It will ruin you forever !

5 hours ago, 12thman said:

Looking for hotel recommendations for Boston for October 2020. We'll want to stay several days so something nice, also must have a in room safe. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Before we cancelled the Brilliance GC, I was set to book Intercontinental Boston.  It is beautiful and very close to the port.  Right along the water and close to many restaurants within walking distance.

40 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

..and as Lovetocruise2002 will tell you, DON'T DO IT ! (go above JS).  It will ruin you forever !

^^^ True Story.  Had our first taste of suites when we cruised Harmony the first time in a GS.  Then we couldn't go back to balcony.  Then we did Star and we were forever ruined. lol

40 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

...and as Lovetocruise2002 will tell you, DON'T DO IT ! (go above JS).  It will ruin you forever !

Hah! It's already ruined me when it comes to the larger bathroom, I will not go back to the curtain-clinging shower stall! 

I am a little worried my Signature Suite on HAL will further distance me from the traditional balcony cabin sized shower as for some reason their SS category has TWO full size showers in the bathroom! ?

39 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Before we cancelled the Brilliance GC, I was set to book Intercontinental Boston.  It is beautiful and very close to the port.  Right along the water and close to many restaurants within walking distance.

^^^ True Story.  Had our first taste of suites when we cruised Harmony the first time in a GS.  Then we couldn't go back to balcony.  Then we did Star and we were forever ruined. lol

Thanks I'll add that to my list. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Will you also be on the Group Cruise?

Hopefully my MEI t/a is holding a Junior suite. Depends on how much vacation time I'll get next year. Doing Alaska next year on NCL because we did our honeymoon on them. Plus NCL has been in Seattle for 20 years next year. But I really enjoy Royal so I'm looking at more cruises on Royal. Hopefully Europe, Asia, and Australia. 

I suggest The Seaport Boston. Stayed there before our cruise on Serenade. It's a great hotel about 8 min cab ride to cruise port. Close to a few good restaurants. I would suggest Row 35 for great seafood and Flour for great pastries, coffee and a quick breakfast. Both within a four block walk of the hotel. 

There are a bunch of hotels in the Seaport area of Boston.

I've personally stayed in the Renaissance, Westin, Aloft, and Element over the years while volunteering at conventions held at the Boston Convention/Expo Center.  Decent hotels.

Aloft was a smaller room which was set up a bit different than "regular" hotel rooms...the beds were perpendicular to the windows.  Our room in the Element had a kitchenette which was nice.  The Renaissance and Westin were just your standard hotel rooms.

For the past few years I have purposefully chose the Aloft despite the smaller room because they always recognize me as a Marriott member, and make sure I have early check-in (much appreciated when tens of thousands of people are converging on the area). 

I've never stayed in any of the suites, just the plain old "two queen beds" room.  

In all the hotels, the rooms were clean, the breakfast good, the wifi fast, and the staff pleasant.

1 hour ago, FManke said:

I suggest The Seaport Boston. Stayed tgheir before our cruise on Serenade. It's a great hotel about 8 min cab ride to cruise port. Close to a few good restaurants. I would suggest Row 35 for great seafood and Flour for great pastries, coffee and a quick breakfast. Both within a four block walk of the hotel. 

Thanks! Sounds interesting. 

7 hours ago, Spang1974 said:

Hotel Buckminster next to Fenway is where we stayed before our cruise.

I have stayed here.  It is pretty affordable and was comfortable enough...but definitely not up to par with what you would expect from any of the chain hotels.  Not in a bad way..just not polished.  We ended up in a 2 bedroom suite which was like a mini apartment.  It's a couple blocks to the T and a block from Fenway..but other than that there wasn't a whole lot in the immediate area.

I personally haven't even thought that far ahead..still have figure out my plans for the not official group cruise Ovation for June first!

If you're looking for someplace just to crash for the night, we stayed at The Best Western Adams Inn.  It's in Quincy, just a few minutes from the seaport. 

https://www.bwadamsinn.com/hotel 

It's got a pub with food and drink, and sports on the tv.  It's got water views and a free shuttle from the airport, and to the cruise port the next day.  

This spot worked great for us, as we got in late - they sent a to Lyft to the airport for us as the shuttle wasn't available - and it was pouring rain so no sightseeing was to be had.  We enjoyed the evening in the pub, and the next morning was off to the port.  Less than a mile away is a liquor store if you need to pick up wine to bring on board with you. 

15 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

...and I thought we might have been friends....

??

I am also a Marriott fan and I would recommend the Marriott Long Warf to anyone. Its only a short ride to the terminal by taxi or uber. It is also very close to downtown attractions like fanuel hall, the north end, its on the warf so water views and a nice area to walk around. I lived and worked in Boston for many years so this is from someone who knows Boston well here. If you are able Boston is a great walking city.Depending on what your needs and pleasures are you can walk to just about everything you might want to see in 15 minutes in that area.  If you are willing to spend a little more $$$ the Marriot Fairmont is in Copley Square (also another amazing Boston destination) https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-A554-fairmont-copley-plaza/index.shtml?utm_term=mafm&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2ITuBRDkARIsAMK9Q7MvrJ8Rp9xGr0659ejmOD_HJyBoEbCj69MzxVLMxOR-w-oqwFcD1zgaAnvDEALw_wcB&utm_campaign=ppc-ach-mafm-goo-us-en-us-bro-sear-a&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=us-en-all-all&utm_source=google and has my favorite restaurant in the city in the lobby. The Oak Bar. The cheeseburgers are literally not to be missed.

I’ve got high status with IHG and when my kids and I went to Boston for fall break last year we stayed at the Kimpton Nine Zero. Fantastic location (provided you don’t care about being close to the port, lol) on the Freedom Trail, adjacent to Boston Common. Samuel Adams’ gravesite was literally across the street from our entrance.

Lots of character and within walking distance of sooo much. And what we didn’t walk to, we just rode the T. 

8 hours ago, 12thman said:

@AshleyDillowhat unofficial cruise in June?

Ovation of the Seas, June 5 RT out of Seattle.  Matt booked this as his family's return to Alaska and a bunch of us went ahead and also booked it.  MEI should even have a group if you ask about it..my invoice has the group number as "FLORIDA FRIENDS".  It won't be a typical group cruise with scheduled activities and an itinerary, but there should be quite a few of us on that sailing!

Hmmm maybe I should look into this? Thanks!

Did this cruise have Glacier Bay? If it did it's been modified. 

10 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Ovation of the Seas, June 5 RT out of Seattle.  Matt booked this as his family's return to Alaska and a bunch of us went ahead and also booked it.  MEI should even have a group if you ask about it..my invoice has the group number as "FLORIDA FRIENDS".  It won't be a typical group cruise with scheduled activities and an itinerary, but there should be quite a few of us on that sailing!

4 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Did this cruise have Glacier Bay? If it did it's been modified. 

Nope..it never had Glacier Bay as far as I know.  When you visit that cruise page it pops up with an itinerary change notification but I can't figure out why.  We originally booked it in November 2018 and the current itinerary matches what's on my booking confirmation from that time.

I don't expect Glacier Bay to really start showing up on itineraries until the 2021 season.  There's a process they have to go through to secure the visits there and since they just got their 10-year contract accepted effective October 2019, I can't imagine that gives them a lot of time to secure everything for the 2020 season.  Plus I think the other ships that got their contracts renewed actually get priority in securing their visits so Royal has to compete with those ships and gets to take what's left over.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

I don't expect Glacier Bay to really start showing up on itineraries until the 2021 season.  There's a process they have to go through to secure the visits there and since they just got their 10-year contract accepted effective October 2019, I can't imagine that gives them a lot of time to secure everything for the 2020 season.  Plus I think the other ships that got their contracts renewed actually get priority in securing their visits so Royal has to compete with those ships and gets to take what's left over.

Royal may have abandoned plans for Glacial Bay.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/16389-rccl-not-visiting-glacier-bay-in-2020/

• November 4, 2019
  • (2:15 p.m. EST) -- After winning coveted spots earlier this year to sail into Glacier Bay National Park, Royal Caribbean has decided not to visit the famed Alaska preserve, forcing it to change itineraries for several 2020 sailings.
  • The National Park Service confirmed that the cruise line recently elected not to finalize its agreement to visit the park. Earlier this year, the federal agency announced that seven cruise lines had won 10-year park access including Cunard, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Norwegian Cruise Line, Seabourn, Viking Cruises and Royal Caribbean.
  • This means that Royal Caribbean won't be visiting the UNESCO World Heritage Site until at least 2029, when the current agreement expires. Sailings on Ovation of the Seas and Radiance of the Seas have been affected, with the Glacier Bay call being replaced by visits to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier, or Skagway. Not all the line's webpages have been updated to reflect the change.

I just got back from a long weekend trip to Boston.  We stayed at the Residence Inn in the Seaport area  https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bosfp-residence-inn-boston-downtown-seaport/.  We really liked the hotel.  It's built in a old renovated building, so the architecture is interesting.  It will be close to where the cruise ships dock, but you can also walk a mile and get to Boston Common or Faneuil Hall There is a Trader Joes down the street,  a liquor store across the street, and a CVS around the corner.  There are several interesting bars and restaurants in the immediate area, including a great microbrewery down the street (next to the Trader Joes), and a bunch of seafood restaurants within walking distance.  I would certainly stay there again.