Cell Phone usage

Yes you can call through your phone if yourself and other person you are calling has these 2 things, assuming you are not at a port. 

1.  You'll need a phone that can do wifi calling, I know it is pretty common now, or have an app such a WhatsApp or skype.

2. You must be connected to the wifi which does require purchase of an internet plan to use on board. 

Personally I haven't ever had a need to call someone one boat i usually will run into them eventually.  I have seen people do it and I'll be doing facetime on my star class cruise to rub it in my sister's face that she didn't want to come. 

58 minutes ago, DEANNA McKenna said:

Someone said, connect to their Wifi and use I messanger... ???

If you and everyone you want to talk to have an iPhone, there's an odd loophole that allows iMessenger to work for free on two specific ships (I think Harmony and Symphony, but don't quote me on it).  There's something weird about the old Royal Caribbean app that requires a certain port to be open which just happens to be the same port iMessenger uses.  However, that app is going away as they spread the new app to more and more ships.  This loophole does not exist on any other ships and once the new app replaces the old app on those ships, this loophole will be gone.  It's probably better to assume it won't exist by the time you cruise so plan on purchasing wifi access so you can use wifi calling.

Make sure you disable the cellular service/data on your phone (i.e. airplane mode) or you could inadvertently get hit with huge roaming fees.

The RC app does have a text/chat feature that you can use with free wifi. Check out the other discussion threads for "communicating while on board". for more insight.

48 minutes ago, NJCruisers said:

Can I jump in and ask if I have the Voom 1 device, what's the best way to communicate back home?  Should I have my kids download the WhatsApp or is calling or using Facetime just as good?  (We all have iphones)

No need for them to download extra apps. Voom internet will allow you to call/text/facetime as you would on land (though might be a little slower, with some lag).

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Thanks @Matt! What happens if you are in port where you have service but you are on the ship and try to use your data/cell service? Do I connect to my provider or would I pay that insane amount of $6-8 per minute? 

11 minutes ago, 12thman said:

What happens if you are in port where you have service but you are on the ship and try to use your data/cell service? Do I connect to my provider or would I pay that insane amount of $6-8 per minute? 

If you are in a country where you have non-roaming service, you just switch your phone out of airplane mode. That will cause the phone's antenna to be activated again and connect to a land-based tower.

Be sure to put the phone back into airplane mode when you get back onboard.

Thanks @AshleyDillo and @Matt. When I was on Allure still in FLL port I forgot to turn on my airplane mode and used the internet and got a text from Sea something about if I continued I'd be charged rates from them. So I turned on airplane mode. That's why I was asking because my phone showed cell service as I had full bars. Just curious why my cell service wouldn't work in port on a ship?

Odd..maybe it was recognizing the cellular at sea tower because you were closer or lost the local cell service?  I have Sprint and it doesn't connect to the Cellular at Sea ever when I'm at the home port or even a foreign port..it tends to jump on the local cell towers. It does text me welcoming me to the service in that particular country with the data, voice, and txt rates.

Maybe they don't normally turn on the Cellular at Sea until they leave the port and they accidentally did that time you connected to it?  

12 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Odd..maybe it was recognizing the cellular at sea tower because you were closer or lost the local cell service?  I have Sprint and it doesn't connect to the Cellular at Sea ever when I'm at the home port or even a foreign port..it tends to jump on the local cell towers. It does text me welcoming me to the service in that particular country with the data, voice, and txt rates.

Maybe they don't normally turn on the Cellular at Sea until they leave the port and they accidentally did that time you connected to it?  

Oh this is something Royal turns on? Well next time I'll turn on airplane mode while boarding. Thanks!

The Cellular@Sea tower on the ship is deactivated when close to land. 

They can't operate an unlicensed transmitter or the FCC would fine them significantly.  Every cell tower in every area is tightly controlled for the frequencies it can operate using.  They do extensive analysis to ensure one operator doesn't interfere with another operator.  Same with every country a ship visits.  Every country has governing bodies that regulate cell towers.  So the system is coded to turn off the cell tower until they are in international water and away from land so they couldn't possibly interfere with a land tower. 

Cellular@Sea is a 3rd party.  They have cell towers on some NCL and Carnival brands as well.   That company has the roaming agreements with different cellular companies to facilitate billing and usage.  Each cell company negotiates their own rates with Cellular@Sea.  

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

@12thman Perhaps the text message was delayed from a previous instance where you were roaming.

When I return to the US and connect back to the cell service for the first time, I regularly get a bunch of text messages sent to me while my phone was in airplane mode.

Now that it was mentioned it was a text from Cellular@sea didn’t know what that was. Then I realized that my phone wasn’t in airplane mode. Didn’t get a bill, just curious what that was.