Full Time Living on Royal Caribbean? Yes... No...

Todd

It seems most here love to cruise. But if you could would you consider living full time on a cruise ship? I did a little checking and could not find anyone who has given up the land life and moved onto a Royal Ship. I have found several people living full time on Crystal Cruises including Lee Wachtstetter, who has spent the last seven years on  Crystal Serenity 400  cruises altogether, including 15 world cruises.

It seems that Royal Caribbean top cruiser is Mario Salcedo with over 700 cruises on Royal since 2000.  While technically he does not live full time on the ship, as he changes ships, and trips at 340 days plus per year I would say that is full time. Do you really think you would enjoy always cruising? Even with he very large ships after a while the ship would appear small? If not full time how many days is the prefect balance between life on land and cruising. Do you look forward to a few days home after a long cruise?

Sometimes what we think we want is not really what we want.

Meet the world's top cruisers: Over 1,000 days at sea

This is our plan, though I wouldn't live on an RCCL ship.  Nothing against Royal at all, but I'd want to be on a ship doing constantly changing itineraries to a wider variety of places.  This becomes somewhat limiting to smaller luxury lines (Crystal, Silversea, Regent, Oceania, etc) but it's hard for me to imagine the constant turnaround days, deck parties, etc, while spending time running the same handful of itineraries. 

Meet a couple on Adventure in December last year that cruises every winter for 6 months. Said it was cheaper than having a home in Florida just for the winter.

Hmmm.... that might have just planted a seed in my head for my retirement...

This is our plan, though I wouldn't live on an RCCL ship.  Nothing against Royal at all, but I'd want to be on a ship doing constantly changing itineraries to a wider variety of places.  This becomes somewhat limiting to smaller luxury lines (Crystal, Silversea, Regent, Oceania, etc) but it's hard for me to imagine the constant turnaround days, deck parties, etc, while spending time running the same handful of itineraries. 

I am certain this is what you are imagining life is like living on a cruise ship

05Mwq.gif

Well if anyone wants to finance an investigation, I will volunteer my services.  I will provide extremely detailed records and reporting...

(hey, it was worth a shot...)

With all the reality shows on TV it may not be as hard as you think. It seems people today want to watch shows about everything; Tiny Houses, Tree Top Living, Mountain Men, Brush People, etc. Are you willing to be filmed 24/7, or how about Survivor Royal? You start out all in crew cabin doing the worst jobs on the ship, each week someone voted off to a lifeboat, and in the end one Survivor in a Owners Suite? Mark Burnett you can send my Royalty check to.... my next cruise account.

I totally agree with Monorailmedic. I could do this if I had a real world-wide itinerary.  But I couldn't do Cozumel every week, or even every other week.  Mercy.  Plus, I like to cook once in a while.  I'd have to have a kitchenette.  And a washer/dryer.  Not sure if those even exist.

I totally agree with Monorailmedic. I could do this if I had a real world-wide itinerary. But I couldn't do Cozumel every week, or even every other week. Mercy. Plus, I like to cook once in a while. I'd have to have a kitchenette. And a washer/dryer. Not sure if those even exist.

Royal doesn't have any laundry rooms that I can remember, but other lines still do. However, if you were on the ship for an entire year, I'm sure you could talk the chef into letting whip up a dish on an occasion or two. ;)

I totally agree with Monorailmedic. I could do this if I had a real world-wide itinerary.  But I couldn't do Cozumel every week, or even every other week.  Mercy.  Plus, I like to cook once in a while.  I'd have to have a kitchenette.  And a washer/dryer.  Not sure if those even exist.

The World has full kitchens in the units.  You basically purchase a condo on board, and the extreme condo fees go towards fuel, maintenance, and such.  The condo association votes on where to sail.  It's just a bit out of my price range.

http://aboardtheworld.com/

• 1 month later...

Ever thought how many nights on Royal it would take to become the top passenger on the line?  Seems that for most is is way outside what is possible.  Royal Super C &A member Mario Salcedo is about to celebrate his 6,000th night with Royal Caribbean—that is around 850 individual cruises. “Nothing could lure me away from them, because I get treated like royalty,†he chuckles, punningly, “The captains all know me.†Indeed, it was Liberty of the Seas captain Charles Teige who first called him Super Mario a decade ago, a nickname that’s stuck from ship to ship.

6000 nights on Royal, now that is a loyal passenger.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-05-06/this-man-has-been-living-on-cruise-ships-for-twenty-years

I worked for my city's Fire Department for over 30 years. One of the Assistant Fire Chiefs and his wife retired when they were 50 and decided they were going to try living on a cruise ship. They went with Crystal and managed to stay for six months and then had enough. Now they pick a city on a map, anywhere, and live there for 6 months, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland OR, San Francisco, Napa Valley.

I have looked in to it and the cost is so prohibitive. When I read the story about Lee on Crystal I wanted to find out more about her. Her husband was a millionaire, before he passed away he told her that he wanted her to keep cruising. She sold their 5 million dollar house in Florida and now lives on Crystal. That is all we need, a significant other, husband, wife, etc., that is a multimillionaire. Anybody have one?