First time using magnetic hooks

raahc

I plan to order some for our upcoming cruise, never used them before.  How many will we need, and are these good enough?  Magnetic Hooks - Amazon Canada

I don't have enough in my cart to avoid the shipping charges right now, do they sell them at the Dollar stores?

I think we will use them to hang wet bathing suits, towels, hang clothes from ceiling in bathroom to release wrinkles ... can't think of any other uses right now ...

Thanks!

1 hour ago, raahc said:

I plan to order some for our upcoming cruise, never used them before.  How many will we need, and are these good enough?  Magnetic Hooks - Amazon Canada

I don't have enough in my cart to avoid the shipping charges right now, do they sell them at the Dollar stores?

I think we will use them to hang wet bathing suits, towels, hang clothes from ceiling in bathroom to release wrinkles ... can't think of any other uses right now ...

Thanks!

We used them to hang wet suits, hang our sea pass cards, and put the compass’s on the wall.  I also hung shoe racks for my daughter and I from them.

6CD0DBA4-99F8-48D1-8663-86206986118C.png

3 minutes ago, Danielle OG said:

I checked Dollarama and couldn't find any there. Amazon is probably your best bet. Add some luggage tags to your cart too and you're good to go ?

I’d second that. The plastic luggage tag holders are a must have. Be sure to order the right size for royal Caribbean tags. 

I buy mine from Cruisehabit.com  https://shop.cruisehabit.com/collections/cabin-comforts/products/magnetic-hooks-hang-wet-clothes-or-other-items-from-your-ships-stateroom-ceiling

Billy @monorailmedic used to sell two different weights, so I have them both, but it looks like he only has the heavier weight ones now.  I wouldn't go with cheapy ones, they might not hold up as well.  We use them every cruise and love them! 

3 hours ago, KathyC said:

I buy mine from Cruisehabit.com  https://shop.cruisehabit.com/collections/cabin-comforts/products/magnetic-hooks-hang-wet-clothes-or-other-items-from-your-ships-stateroom-ceiling

Billy @monorailmedic used to sell two different weights, so I have them both, but it looks like he only has the heavier weight ones now.  I wouldn't go with cheapy ones, they might not hold up as well.  We use them every cruise and love them! 

I second this - Billy carries quality merchandise, and I like supporting fellow members (plus he has great content on his site!).

5 hours ago, Sweety said:

Yes, I use them in my classrooms. They have the hook ones that I like hanging work in my classroom.

Did you mean yes as in you found them at the Dollar store?

4 hours ago, LindaN said:

We used them to hang wet suits, hang our sea pass cards, and put the compass’s on the wall.  I also hung shoe racks for my daughter and I from them.

Wow, that's very creative!

4 hours ago, Danielle OG said:

I checked Dollarama and couldn't find any there. Amazon is probably your best bet. Add some luggage tags to your cart too and you're good to go ?

Thanks, we're on a budget and this cruise is getting pricey!!! I'm going to look at our local dollar store and hardware store in Canada first.  I'll check out the luggage tags too.

3 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

I’d second that. The plastic luggage tag holders are a must have. Be sure to order the right size for royal Caribbean tags. 

Thank you Andrew!

3 hours ago, KathyC said:

Those look very sturdy!  Thank you, but I'm in Canada, so I would incur quite a bit in US exchange, duty and shipping.  I'll be sure and get good quality heavy ones .. thanks for the tip!

6 hours ago, raahc said:

Thanks!

Those are the same ones that I have, I can tell you that if you find ones of that particular quality at a dollar store then you have indeed found a GEM!  You will find magnets but you usually will not find ones that are strong enough to be very useful, meaning that they will not hold much weight when attached to the wall.  I carry about 4-6 of them in our luggage and have only used about three of them.  Wet bathing suits, towels, and clothes are pretty much what we use them for as well as leaving notes for our cabin steward, or hanging up the cruise compass.  

13 hours ago, bhageerah said:

Those are the same ones that I have, I can tell you that if you find ones of that particular quality at a dollar store then you have indeed found a GEM!  You will find magnets but you usually will not find ones that are strong enough to be very useful, meaning that they will not hold much weight when attached to the wall.  I carry about 4-6 of them in our luggage and have only used about three of them.  Wet bathing suits, towels, and clothes are pretty much what we use them for as well as leaving notes for our cabin steward, or hanging up the cruise compass.  

Thanks for the tip, I'll skip the dollar store ones.  I think one pack will suffice.  We got by without them for our previous cruise, so this will just be a "nice to have" purchase.

4 hours ago, Sweety said:

Yes, I found them at the dollar tree. 

Thank you!

3 hours ago, markm said:

I used them to:  secure ship provided extension cord to ceiling for my CPAP, hang coat, bathrobe , daypack, over the door organizer, and binoculars 

Thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

If you have a Harbor Freight store in your town, you can get them there for cheap.

I'm in Canada, but thank you ?

Be careful with magnetic bottle openers as well. The wife had one on her key chain which was attached to her set sail pass. Took two trips to customer service before she realized what was causing it. She commandeered my aluminum one and no longer has that problem. Now I'm the one with a problem with no opener.

On 11/3/2019 at 2:24 PM, raahc said:

Thanks!

Those look like the ones we bought.  We used them for hats, our lanyards (for seapass cards), small evening bag, & to hold our over-door shoe bag holder to the wall. I think we got at least 2 bags of those, plus the magnetic clip type https://www.amazon.ca/ACCO-Magnetic-Clips-2-Inch-5050571613/dp/B007Z7KTVQ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=magnetic+clip&qid=1572896474&sr=8-6

The clips were good for a few things too, but I mainly liked to use one to hold an old credit type card to put in the slot that keeps the lights on-- we just hung it right there, & popped the card in and out as we came in/left.  You can also clip your cruise compass on the wall for easy reference

A lot of the walls are magnetic too, not just the ceiling, so there are many places to use them

I've cruised so many times, and never even thought about the hooks til my trip last week with my niece.  We hung our purses, laundry bags, mesh pocket bags and could have done more but actually ended up with cabin storage unused!  That is unheard of!  Get good heavyweight ones, and hand things mostly from the ceiling if they have any weight at all.  They were amazing!

1 hour ago, Maravonda said:

I've cruised so many times, and never even thought about the hooks til my trip last week with my niece.  We hung our purses, laundry bags, mesh pocket bags and could have done more but actually ended up with cabin storage unused!  That is unheard of!  Get good heavyweight ones, and hand things mostly from the ceiling if they have any weight at all.  They were amazing!

Indeed, and welcome to the forums!

8 hours ago, MikeK said:

Remember to keep the magnets away from your sea pass card and credit cards.  They will make your sea pass card useless and you will be waiting in line at guest services getting a new card.

7 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

Be careful with magnetic bottle openers as well. The wife had one on her key chain which was attached to her set sail pass. Took two trips to customer service before she realized what was causing it. She commandeered my aluminum one and no longer has that problem. Now I'm the one with a problem with no opener.

6 hours ago, DJsMrs said:

Staples has magnetic hooks and clips

https://www.staples.ca/search?q=magnetic+hooks

https://www.staples.ca/products/392735-en-staples-1-34-square-magnetic-clips-nickel-3pack

We use the clips as you can use it as a  hook too ?

Thanks for the links, much appreciated!  I think we'll get the heavy duty ones, so our things don't start to slide off the wall ...lol

5 hours ago, MaryCS62 said:

Those look like the ones we bought.  We used them for hats, our lanyards (for seapass cards), small evening bag, & to hold our over-door shoe bag holder to the wall. I think we got at least 2 bags of those, plus the magnetic clip type https://www.amazon.ca/ACCO-Magnetic-Clips-2-Inch-5050571613/dp/B007Z7KTVQ/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=magnetic+clip&qid=1572896474&sr=8-6

The clips were good for a few things too, but I mainly liked to use one to hold an old credit type card to put in the slot that keeps the lights on-- we just hung it right there, & popped the card in and out as we came in/left.  You can also clip your cruise compass on the wall for easy reference

A lot of the walls are magnetic too, not just the ceiling, so there are many places to use them

Thank for the link on the clips!  Our packing list is getting so long ....lol

Much appreciated too!

1 hour ago, Maravonda said:

I started off thinking ... how will the towels get dry when I'm hanging them on the wall??? Then I saw a picture of someone hanging them from the "ceiling" - brilliant ... lol

Thanks for the tips!

8 hours ago, MikeK said:

Remember to keep the magnets away from your sea pass card and credit cards.  They will make your sea pass card useless and you will be waiting in line at guest services getting a new card.

Oh, I didn't know that!  Thank you!

7 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

LOL, thank you.  Much appreciated!

We bought some heavy duty ones on our last cruise; all my friends were envious of our well organized room! We bought a multi-pocket organizer, and used the hooks to hang it from our door. We were able to store everything from sunblock, to sunglasses, Go Pro, chapstick, and all the other odds and ends that get lost in drawers or shoved away in bags. We also used the extra hooks to hang hats, wet swimsuits, towels, travel bags etc. 

GET THEM! You won't regret it! 

On 11/5/2019 at 3:55 AM, S0nny said:

We bought some heavy duty ones on our last cruise; all my friends were envious of our well organized room! We bought a multi-pocket organizer, and used the hooks to hang it from our door. We were able to store everything from sunblock, to sunglasses, Go Pro, chapstick, and all the other odds and ends that get lost in drawers or shoved away in bags. We also used the extra hooks to hang hats, wet swimsuits, towels, travel bags etc. 

GET THEM! You won't regret it! 

Thanks @S0nny

For the multi-pocket organizer, did you mean something like this one?  https://amzn.to/34w08wO
If so, it's in my Amazon cart ?

15 hours ago, GrandmaAirplane said:

I just saw full-size cheap hanging shoe organizers at Dollarama for $3. They also were selling cheap packing cubes as well, and I use the mesh laundry bra bags to pack socks, cords, doodads, etc..

isn’t packing fun?!

However, I did order my hooks through Amazon.

Thanks, I'm in Canada, and I haven't seen them at our local Dollar store.  $3 is a bargain!  

12 hours ago, LilLady said:

We put two of the hooks closer together and use it as an additional towel holder. Allows for a better air dry. 

That's a great idea ?

5 hours ago, S0nny said:

@raahc

Yes! Just like that one ? 

Thanks again!