Pillows

It doesn't hurt to ask, but I believe suites only have a pillow option. If possible, I'd recommend bringing one from home.

Agreed. You can ask but if it's a big deal to you, I'd bring your own just to be on the safe side.

Just to add my 2 cents....having been in a suite a number of times lately, the pillow selection that they advertise isn't really much of anything.  I've never had them offer me any special pillow types - just more of what they already had on the bed.  I have NEVER seen a memory foam pillow option.  My opinion - if you need a special pillow, bring it. 

Dan prefers a very flat pillow and he can never get it.  The pillows that they bring us are always very big and fluffy - which is great for me, but bad for him.

We just finished a cruise on Liberty of the Seas, disembarking on Sunday, 3/6.  We LOVED the cruise, and the ship, BUT....the pillows and mattresses were pathetic!!!  The beds are hard as rocks.  NO pillow top mattresses!!!  The pillows were flat as pancakes!  Absolutely no support at all.  My husband and I both have special pillows at home and we were "hurting" with the lack of comfortable sleeping on this ship.  I don't know how you are going to pack a memory foam pillow, but more power to you.  I told RCL in my survey that they must put more new bedding on all their ships.  This could be reason enough for us to not book with them again.

We just finished a cruise on Liberty of the Seas, disembarking on Sunday, 3/6.  We LOVED the cruise, and the ship, BUT....the pillows and mattresses were pathetic!!!  The beds are hard as rocks.  NO pillow top mattresses!!!  The pillows were flat as pancakes!  Absolutely no support at all.  My husband and I both have special pillows at home and we were "hurting" with the lack of comfortable sleeping on this ship.  I don't know how you are going to pack a memory foam pillow, but more power to you.  I told RCL in my survey that they must put more new bedding on all their ships.  This could be reason enough for us to not book with them again.

The bedding is different within Suites and also from Ship to Ship. The newer ships seem to be better for me, even after the hips have been redone. But I never really have had a problem with bedding on the cruises. I would take memory foam pillows from home if that is important to you.

Sorry to hear that.  I know that bedding is one of those subjective things, because I like a firm mattress and slept like a baby on Allure of the Seas. In fact, most cruises I sleep quite well and have enjoyed the bedding quality.

I think you did the right thing by putting your feedback in the survey.

Not trying to redirect this thread from a "pillow" thread to a "mattress" thread...sorry

Apparently RCI recently made a HUGE mattress purchase which is supposed to reservice most of the mattresses in the fleet.  Unfortunately (for we cruisers) these mattresses are hard as rocks and are universally loathed.  I have read accounts of people so unhappy with the mattresses that they have either slept on the floor or slept on the sofa bed.  As an added measure of concern, RCI has also CEASED using egg crate toppers on their beds (they suggest it is a sanitation concern and I guess I can understand that).  So while they will no longer put an egg crate topper on your mattress, apparently there is another type of mattress topper that they ARE using.  How this differs from the egg crate topper (as far as sanitation is concerned) eludes me, however, this is the current policy.  Perhaps they are single-used and disposable.  I don't know.

I was really concerned about the hard mattresses on our Allure cruise last month so I suggested to all of the folks in our group (we had 22 on this trip) to write and request a mattress topper at least 2 weeks prior to the cruise.  In EVERY case, the requestor received a written response from the special needs group and a mattress topper was placed on their beds before they arrived.  I had NO complaints about hard mattresses from any of our group.  The question, of course, was whether or not the "hard" mattresses had already been placed on the Allure or whether the mattresses there were the old "hard, but-not-SO-hard" mattresses.   That answer to THAT question is unknown by me.

So...if you are concerned about having a hard mattress and would like to have a mattress topper on your bed when you get to your stateroom, write to special needs.  Here is what I wrote and instructed all of our group to write:

"For medical reasons, I require a mattress topper to be placed on my bed during my upcoming cruise"

Then give the ship name, date of sailing, reservation number and stateroom number.

Write to special_needs@rccl.com  That is, special [underscore] needs.

They were extremely responsive, effective and I noted in my upcoming Empress reservation (followed the same procedure), it is even noted in my reservation confirmation.

Dan prefers a very flat pillow and he can never get it.  The pillows that they bring us are always very big and fluffy - which is great for me, but bad for him.

A long time ago I had an issue with my neck, and just used a rolled up towel with another towel laid over it as my pillow.  It worked fine.  Might be worth a try.