Very Disappointed

Nick D

When I booked my RC cruise I called RC and felt very rushed and pushed through by the agent. This is my first cruise experience so I called instead of booking online incase I missed something. Agent charge me more to pick a room and never gave me a chance to pick. Then he misspelled my name numerous times in itenerary. I had to call back and get that resolved. Then today I noticed the price match guarantee. My booking went down 68 dollars. I spoke to an agent on phone he tried to get it done and couldn't so they transferred me to escalation Dept. Spoke to a representative there who argue with me saying price was not different. Then when I qouted the price the last agent said he back tracked and noticed it. Then said because it was after 48 hours from my booking he said nothing could be done. I then asked to speak to a supervisor. He transferred me to a person of his same level. Agent is having a supervisor call me. This is embarrassing. I feel very dissatisfied and this is my first cruise experience.

Hi Nick, sounds like you had a rough experience. I'd like to point out a few things that may be helpful to you moving forward;

-- Pricing on choosing a room, and letting the cruise line do it for you differs depending on demand. Usually, but not always, letting the cruise line choose your room for you is a little cheaper. Once you have chosen a room, you should be able to change to any room in that same category and not see a price change. 

-- If you have a US based booking, you can reprice at any time before final payment date. If the booking is already past final payment, you are stuck with your pricing.

-- I would recommend in the future that you choose and book through a reputable travel agent, because they take care of everything, including the hassle of calling Royal Caribbean in the event you want anything changed. Also, using a travel agent doesn't cost anything since they are paid by the cruise line.

-- If you want to use a travel agent, you still may be able to, generally bookings have a time period 30-60 days after they are made, where you can transfer the booking from Royal Caribbean to a travel agent.

Hope these help, and that you aren't too discouraged, cruising is a lot of fun!

8 hours ago, Nick Musial said:

- I would recommend in the future that you choose and book through a reputable travel agent, because they take care of everything, including the hassle of calling Royal Caribbean in the event you want anything changed. Also, using a travel agent doesn't cost anything since they are paid by the cruise line.

-- If you want to use a travel agent, you still may be able to, generally bookings have a time period 30-60 days after they are made, where you can transfer the booking from Royal Caribbean to a travel agent.

This is 100% the best advice you could get.  You need to speak with a TA immediately and get your reservation transferred to them, let an expert handle the legwork.  If you don't know a reputable TA, there are dozens of experienced cruisers on this board who swear by MEI.  I've not used them personally (yet), but many people I trust have.

Don't let the booking experience over shadow the amazing time you are going to have. The first time I booked with RCL, they changed me for 4 rooms instead of 2. It was hell trying to get the refund for the 2 extra rooms I did not book (took them 10 days). I almost did not go I was so angry, but once on the ship I had one of the best times ever. I had such a good time, I booked the 4-bedroom villa suite for April 2020. Now I stalk these boards waiting to go on the SOTS.

Agree on the TA at anytime. We originally booked a trip through the website (they created it so it must be the best syndrome) but through suggestions from friends and this blog switched to an MEI TA. It is now so much easier (not sure the TA agrees since she has to deal with us ?), On our upcoming cruise in January we mentioned it was my big old age birthday milestone and when we received the room found out it was one of the extra large balcony rooms. Could not be happier! Will always book through them now.

5 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

This is 100% the best advice you could get.  You need to speak with a TA immediately and get your reservation transferred to them, let an expert handle the legwork.  If you don't know a reputable TA, there are dozens of experienced cruisers on this board who swear by MEI.  I've not used them personally (yet), but many people I trust have.

I second MEI, I've booked my last two cruises through one of their reps and if the rest of the agents there are anything like her, you'll have an amazing experience. Love just getting an email saying "I saved you some money on your cruise". Rather than having to check pricing daily myself, and call in to ask to have it changed.